IST: Cubs vs. Pirates

85Bears

Formerly known as 85Bears
Donator
Liked Posts:
Couple fun comments from the Pirates forum:

Another one from last night:

Now on I'm boycotting any pirates Cubs games. Why even try to make the playoffs when all we'll do is get bitch slapped by the Cubs again?

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Chapman has zero movement on his ball. When his speed drops to 97 mph watch out.

Which is going to happen when Maddon pitches him 3 days in a row and 10 times in 15 games.

Maddon better give him 2 days off now. His arm is going to fall off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Which is going to happen when Maddon pitches him 3 days in a row and 10 times in 15 games.

Maddon better give him 2 days off now. His arm is going to fall off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Makes no difference, his ball has zero movement

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:

At one point the Reds had him working on an out pitch in the thoughts they would make him a starter. He never really was able to do that and I'm sure the lack of movement played a huge part in it.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:

He's not going to be a Cub by the time his velo dips, so I'm mystified as to why you keep bringing it up as if it's a looming problem...or relevant to anything having to do with the 2016 Cubs...at all.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
He's not going to be a Cub by the time his velo dips, so I'm mystified as to why you keep bringing it up as if it's a looming problem...or relevant to anything having to do with the 2016 Cubs...at all.
Hope you are right and the Cubs resist the temptation to pay this guy $100M over 5 years, because years 4-5 wont be pretty. You cant guarantee what Theo will do

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Hope you are right and the Cubs resist the temptation to pay this guy $100M over 5 years, because years 4-5 wont be pretty. You cant guarantee what Theo will do

They won't sign him. The thought is 4/$60 to $68 mil. No thank you. I think Edwards will get a shot to close next year along with Rondon.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
They won't sign him. The thought is 4/$60 to $68 mil. No thank you. I think Edwards will get a shot to close next year along with Rondon.
He already turned down a deal from the Cubs for $15M per year

fatbeard

Liked Posts:

It's pretty clear by the way they're using him that they don't expect him to be back next year.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
That was reported but also pretty quickly debunked but that's going to be the general area and someone will pay him.

Debunked? Everything I read was the Yankees offered him a 4 year extension worth in the neighborhood of 60 million. He turned them down and thats when they decided to trade him. The Cubs tried to re open the negotiations while trying to trade for him and were basically shot down that he was going into the off season as a FA.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Why do you think that..
33 or 34 YO can't close anymore ?

You think he not going to throw 98+ anymore ?

Me personally, if their obviously going to be in contention with this team year after year, why not have a pretty much shut down closer for the next 4 or 5 yrs..

The bullpen could be a strength the next couple years with Chapman Rondon Edwards Strop, to where tgeir not looking for options mid season and can put their focus elsewhere during deadline and off season..

Most of their money is going to be tied up into pitching anyways the next 4 years with the young controlled position players..
And its not like adding him is going to cash strap them over that span..

This off season their only possible need may be a SP to replace Hammel and maybe a CFer if Fowler don't return and they decide to look outside over using Heyward and or Almora. .

I dont see any real needs via FA , I see possible trades for young SP that could probably start in AAA or AA and be ready for 2018..

If Cubs want him back and he wants to come back
4 or 5 yr deal between 17 to 20 per won't hurt them at all money wise.. and being 29, he still going to be a top quality closer over that span..
Might even be better as he matures and learns how to pitch instead of just throwing hard..
Especially with Bosio working with him

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Here are a few observations on Chapman:
-Right now he has an overpowering fast ball, but he has no movement. That works when you throw 103mph, but not 96 as all MLB players can hit a fast ball

-He doesnt have very good control. Kinda goes where it goes

-Chapman will slip to high 90s before his next contract is over and 97mph with no movement or pinpoint control he is not worth anywhere near 15M let alone 20M

-I would rather have a real pitcher as a closer not a thrower. I know Miller is gone but that was my choice.

-I have high hopes for Edwards and hopefully he is the answer

-I don't like Strope and like Rondon less than most of you

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The Ommster is right about this. We saw clear as day what happens when he got down to 97...he got tatooed and not only blew the save but lost a game. No way Theo will risk that much money on a guy like him. He should've taken the $15 mill he got offered. A straight fastball at any speed in the 90's will get hit...he has to hit triple digits to be effective. That heat will continue to decrease as he ages. I believe he's one and done here with the Cubs.

I'll be happy to roll with Edwards and Rondon next year.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
I'll be happy to roll with Edwards and Rondon next year.
I understand the case for Edwards: good speed, good control and good stuff. But someone make the case for Rondon. I never feel comfortable when he is pitching and I felt his arm was hurt early in the season before people were talking about that. What's the upside and risk on him?