IST: Milwaukee Brewers at Chicago Cubs

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
I certainly don't get as optimistic going forward with Wada as I feel with Hendricks and Arietta, but I must give him credit. He keeps pitching well.

0 ER on 3 hits through 6. Nice outing so far.

You jinxed him.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Conceivably they come to camp with 8-10 guys vying for a spot in the rotation. That's not saying 8-10 strong candidates. just that the situation is unsettled enough, and they have enough guys who are fighting for spots that it could be that many.

Arietta
Hendricks
Wada
Wood
Jackson
Straily
Dubrount
Turner
Beeler

That doesn't count Rusin, Grimm, Ramirez - all of whom I think will stay in the pen.

It doesn't count Vizcaino - not sure if he'll go back to starting or where he'll be.

It doesn't count Pierce Johnson, who may be a little ways off, but not sure.

It also does not count any FA signings, and I will be very surprised if they don't sign at least one pitcher. Though if they do go get a TOR type, the 5 may be settled with the guys on the top of that list.

But it could be a crowded battle for the last spot.
Why it wouldn't surprise if maybe they package a couple of these arms with maybe a prospect or 2 for an OFer or something

or just trade off wood and jackson(eat money) for low end minor leaguers to stock pile

theberserkfury

Liked Posts:
I would much rather them stretch out Ramirez than Vizcaino. Ramirez has great stuff and Vizcaino already has a history of injuries. Grimm isn't the worst guy to have in the pen but I definitely don't feel comfortable when he comes in the game

Ramirez or Vizcaino?

BH8VOD0CEAAzeUP.jpg

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
Now that at bat was shitty for Javi. He was dropping his right shoulder. This is something he falls back to every now and then. He needs to keep that right shoulder up.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Baez just may end up leading league in pop ups this year
: ))

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
Why it wouldn't surprise if maybe they package a couple of these arms with maybe a prospect or 2 for an OFer or something

or just trade off wood and jackson(eat money) for low end minor leaguers to stock pile

Hopefully Castillo offers a lot of promise and the Cubs make a run at him. Will be interesting if Bryant starts in the OF or at 3B when he enters the Show.

Ramirez or Vizcaino?

Could do both I suppose but I don't think Vizcaino really projects to be a SP anymore.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
Now that at bat was shitty for Javi. He was dropping his right shoulder. This is something he falls back to every now and then. He needs to keep that right shoulder up.

He has a lot of bad AB's. He needs to learn to wait on a pitch and drive it. Waveland doesn't have to be the goal every AB. I consider it a minor victory though every time he doesn't strikeout

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I would much rather them stretch out Ramirez than Vizcaino. Ramirez has great stuff and Vizcaino already has a history of injuries. Grimm isn't the worst guy to have in the pen but I definitely don't feel comfortable when he comes in the game
I think the cubs would prefer having them both in their bullpen.

I know you can never have too many starters but if they do sign a FA starter or two this off season to go with Arrieta and Hendricks. they have a boat load of ready and able starter depth for the next couple years to not have to worry about stretching anyone out to see if they could maybe be a decent starter.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
It has nothing to do with dropping the back shoulder. He's late.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Hopefully Castillo offers a lot of promise and the Cubs make a run at him. Will be interesting if Bryant starts in the OF or at 3B when he up.

If cubs end up getting Castillo, that the end of Alcantara unless they keep him on bench next year and depending on how Castillo does in 2015 will determine if Almora will be trade gain in 2015 off season or not.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
I think the cubs would prefer having them both in their bullpen.

I know you can never have too many starters but if they do sign a FA starter or two this off season to go with Arrieta and Hendricks. they have a boat load of ready and able starter depth for the next couple years to not have to worry about stretching anyone out to see if they could maybe be a decent starter.

If Ramirez could become an effective #3 or so in the rotation that far exceeds his value in the pen

If cubs end up getting Castillo, that the end of Alcantara unless they keep him on bench next year and depending on how Castillo does in 2015 will determine if Almora will be trade gain in 2015 off season or not.

I suppose. But what if Castillo plays in LF and Alcantara plays CF. If Bryant does play OF though that would make Alcantara + Almora + Russell trade bait if they are happy with Baez and Castro @ 2B/SS.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
It has nothing to do with dropping the back shoulder. He's late.

Nah, I know all too well about dropping that back shoulder... that's why he's poppin it up. It's normal for guys with quick bat speed to be late, imo. When you wait, it's easy to drop that shoulder. Had the same problem myself. :yep:

TL1961

Liked Posts:

They can't trade the only vets they have on the staff.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
But anyway, Cubs Win! Nice to beat those fuckers up North... got some cheeshead buddies been giving me shit.

theberserkfury

Liked Posts:
Could do both I suppose but I don't think Vizcaino really projects to be a SP anymore.

Well, isn't that based more on his durability concerns? His stuff still sounds like it's great...

Like you said about Ramirez having more value as a #3 starter than as a bullpen arm, I think if they were able to take a chance with Vizcaino starting and he panned out like he could, well... that's likely another #2 in the rotation. I'm not qualified to make the decision, obviously, but I'd take that chance.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

"The end of Alcantara"???

This guy will turn out to be far more valuable than some apparently think. He can get on base, he steals bases and runs the bases well. He can play good D in the IF or OF. And he'll hit just fine. And has some pop.

He is underappreciated.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
He has a lot of bad AB's. He needs to learn to wait on a pitch and drive it. Waveland doesn't have to be the goal every AB. I consider it a minor victory though every time he doesn't strikeout

He is adjusting still. And, hopefully we will actually have a hitting coach work with our young guys (though it often seems we don't). He needs to start using all fields and he needs to realize he has enough power that he does not have to try to hit the ball 500 feet every time.