IST: Tampa Bay Rays at Chicago Cubs (August 8-10)

chibears55

Liked Posts:
That where Baez needs to learn to adjust..
Appreciate the big swing but late in game 2 strikes down run with runner on 2B no outs he needs to put ball in play..

Game situations

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Tough game to lose... Wada looked good, bullpen was good, just couldn't get that big hit to add on runs...

TL1961

Liked Posts:
That where Baez needs to learn to adjust..
Appreciate the big swing but late in game 2 strikes down run with runner on 2B no outs he needs to put ball in play..

Game situations

Agreed. We have a lot of guys that need to learn this. But certainly that's where Baez needs to be instructed to get a bat on the ball. Like HR's. Hate guys always swinging for HR's.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Tie game and your home team, you hope to shut them down and score a run..

Odds looked good too of scoring, with top of order coming up

The closer is conditioned to come in in certain situations. Tie ball game isn't one of them. Top of the order didn't do squat. I rest my case.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
This is a good game for Baez to learn from.
Hopefully Mueller sits with the kid and goes over his ABs from this game...
Hitting situation with runner on 2B late in game
2 strike approach

2o mins til kickoff Go Bears

chibears55

Liked Posts:
The closer is conditioned to come in in certain situations. Tie ball game isn't one of them. Top of the order didn't do squat. I rest my case.
Ummm.. closers pretty much always come in games in top of 9th or in this case top of 10th in a tie game, to hold team so you can have chance to win in bottom of inning...

Your not gonna need your closer for a save situation if you take lead/ win the game in bottom of 9th/extra innings

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
No they do not always come into a tie game. That is usually left to another setup man but most of them had already been used.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
No they do not always come into a tie game. That is usually left to another setup man but most of them had already been used.
Anyone else wanna chime in ?

Yes they do.. not in the 7th or 8th innning of tie game, but in the top of 9th or like in today case cause cubs tied in bottom of 9th, in top of 10th.

The closer will be used to hold the score as is(tied), to give home team a chance to win in bottom in of inning

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
You are discussing this as an absolute in baseball. It is not. It's nice to know you readily admit you would have made the same mistake.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is a good game for Baez to learn from.
Hopefully Mueller sits with the kid and goes over his ABs from this game...
Hitting situation with runner on 2B late in game
2 strike approach

2o mins til kickoff Go Bears

That comes with time not really instruction in my eyes. He has been told this most of his baseball life but it takes maturity to understand it. Baez is 21 with big eyes right now. This is where I tell yall the Cubs have to play a fine line with him. You can not take out his aggressiveness, but you try to harness it. Baez will never be a guy that will try to get a runner over. He just wont. Thats why I try to tell people that not all players arent made equal and some are better at certain things then others. Not saying you just some that act like players are robots.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs dont truly have a closer in my eyes. Maybe Renteria thinks that, but I dont consider Rondon are automatic closer. But, it depends on a situation. If you are the away team they usually hold back there closer if tied because they may need them later. Home teams usually will burn them in the 9th but its not always the situation.

I did not see the game today. I had work. But, Renteria hasnt been the best at using pitchers. I have thought he has made a good bit of mistakes with our bullpen. I like the guy, but he needs to show big improvements next year as an in game coach or he will be replaced like Sveum. I have read that a lot of people dont believe he will be the coach when the Cubs compete anyway.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
No where else to hit him now..

Coghlin hot, so you keep him on top getting on base in front of baez rizzo and Castro

Probably see him leading off next season if he still everyday CFer..

What will be interesting is to see where Castro hits

1. Alcantara 2. Baez 3. Rizzo 4. Bryant 5.Soler

Castro could end up in 7 or 8 hole (castillo) depending on who they get to play LF if bryant at 3B that could slot in 6 hole.

I don't think Baez needs to be hitting in the 2 hole at this point. I get the idea that Rizzo is "protecting" him but frankly is that what he needs? I'd rather see Cog/Mendy/Rizzo/Castro/Baez or something to that effect.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I don't think Baez needs to be hitting in the 2 hole at this point. I get the idea that Rizzo is "protecting" him but frankly is that what he needs? I'd rather see Cog/Mendy/Rizzo/Castro/Baez or something to that effect.
Wouldn't surprise me if he gets moved down in order if he struggles some..

Think also besides rizzo protection, he gets moe ABs there too

chibears55

Liked Posts:
You are discussing this as an absolute in baseball. It is not. It's nice to know you readily admit you would have made the same mistake.
Lmao.... mistake ???

Ok, your the home team, game tied in top of 9th

Your the manager of any MLB team..
your starter out of game..
When would you consider using your closer ?

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Cubs dont truly have a closer in my eyes. Maybe Renteria thinks that, but I dont consider Rondon are automatic closer. But, it depends on a situation. If you are the away team they usually hold back there closer if tied because they may need them later. Home teams usually will burn them in the 9th but its not always the situation.

I did not see the game today. I had work. But, Renteria hasnt been the best at using pitchers. I have thought he has made a good bit of mistakes with our bullpen. I like the guy, but he needs to show big improvements next year as an in game coach or he will be replaced like Sveum. I have read that a lot of people dont believe he will be the coach when the Cubs compete anyway.
Come on SilenceS, you know as well as anyone who watched the game for years that 99.999% of time, the closer will be brought in the top of 9th in a tie game to hold a team and give your team a chance to win in bottom of inning.

Only other situation the closer wouldn't be used in that situation is if he been used in consecutive games and need a break

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Come on SilenceS, you know as well as anyone who watched the game for years that 99.999% of time, the closer will be brought in the top of 9th in a tie game to hold a team and give your team a chance to win in bottom of inning.

Only other situation the closer wouldn't be used in that situation is if he been used in consecutive games and need a break

Im not sure about it. I cant say with certain.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Carlos Rondon or Hector Marmol. Whatever.