It has to be said

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
I still stand by my statement that we win the Superbowl with Orton as quarterback. At that point he was not turning the ball over and it was our running game and our defense along with Hester that was doing the job. Factor in super accurate Robbie Gould and our defense coming up with crazy turnovers, and you have a lot of the field being flipped, a lot of time being taken off the clock, and the Bears winning the Super Bowl that year.

Keep in mind how many games Rex was completely terrible and yet the Bears still won.

Anyone with a brain can see that putting in another quarterback who would at least be marginally better even if he couldn't throw the Deep ball would have only upped the performance level.

Once defenses figured out Grossman it was all over. Orton in there would have prevented a ton of those horrible turnovers. Otherwise other than September, Rex mostly looked like shit other than one deep bomb to Berrien per game.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
LOL @ this. Bullshit. If anything there would less picks and more punts in the SB, and no more points. We still don't win.

They wouldn't have been in the superbowl if Orton was the QB in 2006. They wouldn't have had the explosive offensive start in the first 7 games which would have meant they would have likely had to go on the road in the playoffs at some point. And even if they had, Orton would never have put together the game winning drive to beat Seattle. He was utterly impotent at the beginning of his career. So whether of not they'd have won the actual game itself with him is moot (though I doubt they would because they wouldn't have scored any more points).

By 2008 Orton had grown into a functional game manager but Rex was by far the bigger threat to put points on the board in 2006.

It's hilarious that Teddy still forces this topic into any thread he can more than a decade later, and then has the audacity to call other posters bitter. Talk about obsessed, geez. This thread had nothing to do with the Superbowl but someone mentioned Rex and Kyle so he just wedges it in there at every opportunity.

Last edited:

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
They wouldn't have been in the superbowl if Orton was the QB in 2006. They wouldn't have had the explosive offensive start in the first 7 games which would have meant they would have likely had to go on the road in the playoffs at some point. And even if they had, Orton would never have put together the game winning drive to beat Seattle. He was utterly impotent at the beginning of his career. So whether of not they'd have won the actual game itself with him is moot (though I doubt they would because they wouldn't have scored any more points).

By 2008 Orton had grown into a functional game manager but Rex was by far the bigger threat to put points on the board in 2006.

It's hilarious that Teddy still forces this topic into any thread he can more than a decade later, and then has the audacity to call other posters bitter. Talk about obsessed, geez. This thread had nothing to do with that but he just wedges it in there at every opportunity.

They lost the Super Bowl on that frigid Sunday in Chicago against the Vikings when Harris tore his hamstring.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
They lost the Super Bowl on that frigid Sunday in Chicago against the Vikings when Harris tore his hamstring.

Yeah, not having Harris and Mike Brown was a bigger issue in that game than which of these QBs had played. Orton wouldn't have stopped Dominic Rhodes running over them at will while the defense couldn't get off the field.

I suppose the one thing I'd say about Orton's chances is that Turner knew how ineffective he was so he probably would have kept the ball on the ground, which is what he should have done anyway.

I don't even think about that game anymore. It was 11 years ago, we have an exciting new potential franchise QB, but some people just can't let it go.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:

It's hilarious that Teddy still forces this topic into any thread he can more than a decade later, and then has the audacity to call other posters bitter. Talk about obsessed, geez. This thread had nothing to do with the Superbowl but someone mentioned Rex and Kyle so he just wedges it in there at every opportunity.

That is impossible to say. Nobody knows how the QB who had the winningest rookie record would've been if he played his second year. If he turned into the QB he was after he left the Bears that defense probably could've got us to the Super Bowl and won. But that's not how it happened so all anyone has is a guess not a fact. Even if he was exactly who he was in his rookie year that defense probably could've carried him just like they did then and did with Rex many times.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
That is impossible to say. Nobody knows how the QB who had the winningest rookie record would've been if he played his second year. If he turned into the QB he was after he left the Bears that defense probably could've got us to the Super Bowl and won. But that's not how it happened so all anyone has is a guess not a fact. Even if he was exactly who he was in his rookie year that defense probably could've carried him just like they did then and did with Rex many times.

The defense in late 2006 with the injuries wasn't a patch on the defense of 2005 when they were at their best. They made the change in 2005 when Rex got healthy for a good reason - Orton was utterly impotent. They needed some threat to put up points and at that time, Rex simply gave them more of that than Kyle.

Fuck this shit. Teddy has trolled with this nonsense as he does every time he stops by the board after a few months off, and every time people bite and get into the same fucking tired old repetitive argument. Let it go.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

It was on him. He stayed away from Hallas Hall that off season and decided to not improve himself or compete for the job. If he rocked it in camp, who knows what could have been. At least Glennon has never been anything but committed to his craft and a team guy. It took Greise to get Orton back on track and eventually become what he did after leaving the Bear... which I suspect is similar to Glennon this year. A fringe starter. Good with time to throw and not so much when not. Meh deep arm but Glennon's is actually slightly better. Took some playing time and a better suited O for Orton to become what he was. Glennon will get the same and probably improve as the year progresses.

Bearmick is correct. In 2005, Orton had 9 tds, 18 turnovers and took 190 yards in 30 drive killing sacks. Passer rating under 60 while playing very conservative. He had next to nothing to do with winning games. Thank Thomas Jones and about 3 D turnovers per game.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Lost that Super Bowl for 3 reasons:

1) Tommie Harris

2) Mike Brown

3) Ron Turner ( who I actually like) getting off the run and passing too much, in horrific weather conditions. We were running well anyway.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
It was on him. He stayed away from Hallas Hall that off season and decided to not improve himself or compete for the job. If he rocked it in camp, who knows what could have been. At least Glennon has never been anything but committed to his craft and a team guy. It took Greise to get Orton back on track and eventually become what he did after leaving the Bear... which I suspect is similar to Glennon this year. A fringe starter. Good with time to throw and not so much when not. Meh deep arm but Glennon's is actually slightly better. Took some playing time and a better suited O for Orton to become what he was. Glennon will get the same and probably improve as the year progresses.

Bearmick is correct. In 2005, Orton had 9 tds, 18 turnovers and took 190 yards in 30 drive killing sacks. Passer rating under 60 while playing very conservative. He had next to nothing to do with winning games. Thank Thomas Jones and about 3 D turnovers per game.

Why try when you know the other guy is anointed? I agreed Orton was done when Rex went in to lose but what did that do to his drive to try? Judging by how Cowboys went behind a better QB I'd say Rex being anointed definitely played a part.
Because of that last part I fear whatever Trubisky does his first year will be used against him by Bears fans forever. If we had Peyton Manning someone would be holding his rookie year against him like that's who he has to be forever.
I never said it wasn't the team, I never said it was anything but the team. But we lost with Rex as our QB, repeat by doing the same thing odds of losing 100%. Change that factor and you trade the known loss for an unknown outcome. Don't fool yourself into thinking your Tarot deck works better than anyone else's.

I wonder if we're setting Trubisky up for that same loss of drive by anointing a bad QB to start in front of him with no chance to play this year. I hope the move to trying him with the ones says he will be given some game time here and there and practice with the team. There's slow and there's you ain't got a chance in hell.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
In 2005/2006, Orton was the impotent game manager you knew was going to run a horribly anemic offense while Rex was the more dynamic player who, sure, will have some stinkers, but at least gave some hope of offensive firepower.

While I think Trubisky is miles better than either, I would say if an analogy is to be forced regarding the current situation, Glennon is the Orton.

Before injuries and stigma destroyed his confidence, Rex was most definitely the more talented QB of the two, so the decision to play him in 2006 made sense. I think people forget just how terrible Orton was in 2005.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Orton was so bad as a young QB, I can't believe that this is a thing on here.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Orton was so bad as a young QB, I can't believe that this is a thing on here.

He definitely had nothing in his early years, the rumor around was that it was a massive partying issue. It seemed to me that he was really starting to come around when we traded him and the world for Jay Cutler.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
Are we having the Orton argument again?
Not really. I remember how strongly Mick was on the Rex Grossman Kool-Aid back in the day so it's no surprise he would continue that train of thought.

I do think he has grown a little wiser about quarterbacks since then, but can't help defending his past Dumber self by backing Rex.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He definitely had nothing in his early years, the rumor around was that it was a massive partying issue. It seemed to me that he was really starting to come around when we traded him and the world for Jay Cutler.

Agreed, McDaniel made him look "almost pretty good" with all that quick hitting stuff in Denver.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not really. I remember how strongly Mick was on the Rex Grossman Kool-Aid back in the day so it's no surprise he would continue that train of thought.

I do think he has grown a little wiser about quarterbacks since then, but can't help defending his past Dumber self by backing Rex.

For how bad Rex may or may not have been, he was still head over heels better than a young Orton, there is no argument here.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

You were the one who brought it up, as you always do, because you still can't get over it. This is all you. Don't try to pass it off on me. Your guy was simply too ineffective to retain the job he only acquired through injuries in the first place. It's in the past. Long in the past. Move on.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Guess we know what side of the argument you used to be on. Still bitter about it huh?

No. Neither one were worth a shit so we lose either way.