$@%& it....im painting my nails

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I dont understand putting expectations on a rookie. Just let him be him. If it takes time fine. If it's automatic, even better. Everyone handles things differently.
My only thought on CW coming in is I hope he has to earn it. Don't just hand it to him.
I disagree, it doesn’t have to be stroud expectations but it definitely should be good ones. Williams needs to show us something

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Hopefully

Its not like alot of us weren't patient with Justin either. I wasnt like Black Rainbow, shitting on him every chance I got for the past 2 seasons. I, like many others, wanted to see just general progression year to year and wanted the whole season to play out. Left me with the same questions from before the season.

It won't be any different with Caleb. I expect a higher floor but also year to year progression.

Canth

Liked Posts:
I dont understand putting expectations on a rookie. Just let him be him. If it takes time fine. If it's automatic, even better. Everyone handles things differently.
My only thought on CW coming in is I hope he has to earn it. Don't just hand it to him.

While I can understand the sentiment of 'make him earn it', I also don't want it to be a BS exercise to prove some meaningless point. Williams would be the #1 pick. Any veteran QB on the roster would be a known back-up. There is no point to starting out by limiting Williams reps for some "make him earn it" mindset when everyone in the building knows he is your day 1 starter.

Give him all the reps he needs to have him be ready for week 1. Don't get cute, just get it done.

Leon Sandcastle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
General speak. Not aimed at you specifically. Moreso the people that will show no patience with Caleb Williams but were ready to give year 4 to Justin Fields

Its hypocritical
Gotcha. That's going to happen no matter what though. I'd say most of the fans will hope for the best. But ya, if it doesn't happen quick they might troll back at the Fields haters.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Its not like alot of us weren't patient with Justin either. I wasnt like Black Rainbow, shitting on him every chance I got for the past 2 seasons. I, like many others, wanted to see just general progression year to year and wanted the whole season to play out. Left me with the same questions from before the season.

It won't be any different with Caleb. I expect a higher floor but also year to year progression.
Im not considering you a BR type poster, I just disagree with your assessment on the bar that he needs to be better than. We definitely agreee his rookie year should be better than Fields, correct?

Leon Sandcastle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
While I can understand the sentiment of 'make him earn it', I also don't want it to be a BS exercise to prove some meaningless point. Williams would be the #1 pick. Any veteran QB on the roster would be a known back-up. There is no point to starting out by limiting Williams reps for some "make him earn it" mindset when everyone in the building knows he is your day 1 starter.

Give him all the reps he needs to have him be ready for week 1. Don't get cute, just get it done.
I just think earning it is the best route. "If" the players love Fields they would respect CW better if he comes in and proves himself by just being better. Rather than trading Fields away. Competition breeds greatness. I could be wrong. Just my opinion.

Leon Sandcastle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I disagree, it doesn’t have to be stroud expectations but it definitely should be good ones. Williams needs to show us something
Well ya. He needs to show something.
But it might take time catching up to the speed of the NFL. I mean the competition that he faced wasn't great, at all.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
for being a "bully mod" i sure feel bad after every time we interact. and it aint bc of what you said :)
The bully mod nickname came up because a poster got kicked out the SB thread for 10 post about Fields and nothing related to the Superbowl. He then proceeded to DM calling me a bully. I don’t ban as much as I can

Canth

Liked Posts:
I just think earning it is the best route. "If" the players love Fields they would respect CW better if he comes in and proves himself by just being better. Rather than trading Fields away. Competition breeds greatness. I could be wrong. Just my opinion.

Again, I get the mindset...but the reality is, assuming Fields is traded, you are not going to really accomplish anything by trying to suggest that Williams has to beat out Bagent or Peterman to 'earn it'. I mean, come on now. That should take all of one practice to accomplish. So, what's the point? All that is going to show the locker room is that the coaches are fucking idiots to ever suggest that Bagent or Peterman were a viable options that Williams had to beat for that starting spot.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Well ya. He needs to show something.
But it might take time catching up to the speed of the NFL. I mean the competition that he faced wasn't great, at all.
Agreed which worries me

Leon Sandcastle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Again, I get the mindset...but the reality is, assuming Fields is traded, you are not going to really accomplish anything by trying to suggest that Williams has to beat out Bagent or Peterman to 'earn it'. I mean, come on now. That should take all of one practice to accomplish. So, what's the point? All that is going to show the locker room is that the coaches are fucking idiots to ever suggest that Bagent or Peterman were a viable options that Williams had to beat for that starting spot.
I'm referring more to keeping Fields. IMO it is the best scenario.
If CW balls out in practices then he starts. If he struggles he has to work through it till he wins it. Fields can deal with it. If he can handle this city then he can handle a competition. I hope CW can too

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Im not considering you a BR type poster, I just disagree with your assessment on the bar that he needs to be better than. We definitely agreee his rookie year should be better than Fields, correct?

Do you mean Caleb in year 1 should be better than Fields in year 3? Even so, I'd say yeah

Canth

Liked Posts:
I'm referring more to keeping Fields. IMO it is the best scenario.
If CW balls out in practices then he starts. If he struggles he has to work through it till he wins it. Fields can deal with it. If he can handle this city then he can handle a competition. I hope CW can too

Yeah, I disagree with the idea of keeping Fields when you intend to draft Williams. I would expect Williams to take over as the starter at some point even with Fields on the roster. I have no idea if that would happen during OTAs, Training camp, or the season but I think it would happen at some point.

In that scenario, I seriously doubt you are picking up the 5th year option on Fields. So...what is the point of not at least getting some form of draft pick compensation to help build the team vs keeping Fields for another year and getting absolutely nothing when he becomes a FA after 2024?

cameronkrazie86

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Atlanta Braves
  1. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Duke Blue Devils
  2. Nebraska Cornhuskers
I became a Bears fan because of Justin Fields but am excited to see what Caleb can do. He's coming into a significantly better situation than Fields ever had during his time in Chicago. He should have a better offensive line, significantly better defense (over the course of the season) and hopefully better weapons in the passing game within his first two seasons. I am not expecting any rookie to be elite day 1 but given he's going to be the 1st pick in the draft plus the three years of hype, I do think his floor statistically should be above Fields best season (assuming he stays healthy).

Leon Sandcastle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, I disagree with the idea of keeping Fields when you intend to draft Williams. I would expect Williams to take over as the starter at some point even with Fields on the roster. I have no idea if that would happen during OTAs, Training camp, or the season but I think it would happen at some point.

In that scenario, I seriously doubt you are picking up the 5th year option on Fields. So...what is the point of not at least getting some form of draft pick compensation to help build the team vs keeping Fields for another year and getting absolutely nothing when he becomes a FA after 2024?
For me the draft pick compensation takes a back seat to CW's development. Insurance incase he isn't ready. Or we lose multiple olinemen in preseason. Or just any scenario. I'd rather let Fields struggle than watch another qb get destroyed in their rookie year.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Do you mean Caleb in year 1 should be better than Fields in year 3? Even so, I'd say yeah
No I was saying Caleb in year 1 should be better than Fields in year 1. Can we at least agree on that?