It's all Ted Phillips...

Bust

Liked Posts:
I am sure that Ted is involved in terms of overall budget and cash flow. Pace is the guy that makes the decision on how is going to spend that budget and cash flow. However, even saying that, I would argue that under George McCaskey, the Bears have been a lot more willing to spend money to try and win. Case in point: The expansion of Halas Hall. That was a major undertaking that allows the entire Bears operation from players to coaches to scouts to improve how they go about their business.

Most definitely he should get credit for signing off on the Halas Hall expansion. it's very sweet indeed.

Last edited:

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Except that George confirmed this narrative when talking to Waddle and Silvy. They asked him why not have a president of football operations, so there is a "football" guy in charge, and he said that is what Pace is. Pace is the "football guy" making all the football decisions.
Are you talking about his damage control appearances the day after their presser?

Ted has input on the GM and HC. Those are football decisions.

Canth

Liked Posts:
Are you talking about his damage control appearances the day after their presser?

I don't think anyone is arguing that. My understanding of the argument is that once he gives his input on the hiring, he lets those guys do their jobs. He does not constantly tell the GM or HC how to scout, draft, build the roster, or coach.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:

it might of been after the presser because thats when they where all in on the "head of football operations" president. But either way if the owner confirms how the operations are structured then thats how they are structured. Businesses do not publicly undercut and lie about how the higher ups jobs and duties are structured. They are not going to hire a GM and tell him that he is in charge of all football decisions and publicly say the same thing but behind the scenes override everything he tries to do football wise.. it would be "leaked" if that where the case.

I'm sure Ted does give input into things like a new GM or HC but hiring and firing GMs and HC are affected both on the football side and financial business side of things. If Ted was giving football advice for a new GM then they would not need to hire an outside source to give "football" recommendations for a new GM . Ted is a glorified accountant, and when you have big financial decisions to make every company is going to get input from the money guys..