Its been too long since the Bears have won the big game LETS GO

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Charles Martin. He's dead.

Also, OP, when you're dead, you won't hear anything.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Flutie played in the game game I was referring to. The game was mostly the O's fault with 3 turnovers in the 2nd 1/2. D gave up a long drive at the end but they were on the field a long time and couldn't get a breather in the 2nd 1/2. We were a team that controlled TOP all year and in this case only had the ball for 26 min. I don't even think Flutie was a big deal, none of our other QBs would have won that game. His biggest issue was he wasn't here long enough to have it all down or ingratiate himself to the team that fought to get there without him. Not his fault.

We're be talking about 2 different games. I'm referring to the game that was played in 1987, not the 1987 team's playoff game in 1988. Yup Jim was in later playoff games but never thought he was the same thrower after the Martin slam. That's why I stated that under the current rules, he would have been protected from getting picked up and getting his throwing shoulder driven into frozen astroturf. Likely would have been more successful if his throwing wasn't affected. You can disagree but I had that covered. Obviously, the D and run game couldn't do it alone. That we agree on.
The rules at the time protected McMahon....Martin was ejected. It had nothing to do with "rules" Martin just made one of the dirtiest plays in football history.

McMahon was playing like shit in 1986 before the injury. I really don't think the Martin play had any effect on McMahon's passing in the 1987 or 1988 playoffs.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
Not enough threads like these imo.

I could google all this, but I like the human connection with people's memories and different takes on what they saw better than fact finding by itself.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The rules at the time protected McMahon....Martin was ejected. It had nothing to do with "rules" Martin just made one of the dirtiest plays in football history.

McMahon was playing like shit in 1986 before the injury. I really don't think the Martin play had any effect on McMahon's passing in the 1987 or 1988 playoffs.

He was playing through a shoulder that was already hurting before that so ya and Martin finished him off for the year. This was the first multi-game suspension for an on-field incident in modern NFL history so no, it wasn't the norm. Had the current rules been in place, he would never have done that, like that. It was a different time and game. QBs weren't wearing skirts back then and got killed all the time. Bears regularly and legally took QBs out of games? In any case, McMahon, who was still playing, now needed surgery and was never the same. Whether he could have been more successful in that years post season, we'll never know. Hampton said he would have been the difference but that may have been wishful thinking.
[video=youtube;fr7UcrLLybo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr7UcrLLybo[/video]

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
The Bears should have won it in '86 with a 14-2 record and a defense that gave up less points than the '85 Bears 187 vs 198 IIRC.
But the Redskins put an early end to that in the first round of the playoffs. SOB

1986 started the Charles Martin curse. They were the best team in the NFL before the injury.

Doubledown

Liked Posts:
Beating the Pats in a few weeks would show something, don’t see it. Playoffs this year SB Next..

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:
The Bears should have won it in '86 with a 14-2 record and a defense that gave up less points than the '85 Bears 187 vs 198 IIRC.
But the Redskins put an early end to that in the first round of the playoffs. SOB

I remember that game like it was yesterday. I was 11 years old and cried like a baby! I absolutely despised the Redskins for years after that game. Darrelle Green gave me nightmares for about a 6 months after that.