ColumbusRod

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Detroit Tigers
  1. Dallas Mavericks
  1. Cleveland Browns
  1. Detroit Red Wings
  1. Ohio State Buckeyes
McCarthy could be a good pro QB but he is not even close to ready. But he has the tools necessary to succeed. One thing he still struggles with is down field accuracy. Kinda like Jordan Love. But he has good pocket presence... something he struggled with last year. And he has a good arm and mobility. He can throw guys open. Probably needs to sit a year. I would have no issue with taking him with our 2nd pick.
I think Jordan Love is a good comparison

Bearey Palpatine

Liked Posts:
I'm fine with it and would seem like the most likely event if Harbaugh comes to Chicago. Jim already knows JJ; his strengths weakness, personality, and tendencies and McCarthy knows what Harbaugh wants out of his QB because he's playing for him right now.

Best of all it would mean The Bears would still get there desired QB, who fits the offense and it's scheme and Chi can still trade the number one pick for a haul because no one is taking McCarthy with the first overall pick. I would gladly roll into the new season with JM as much as Williams or Maye because no one knows how these guys will do until they put on their pads and play. When he was drafted in the sixth round no one could have thought Tom Brady would be GOAT leading his teams to seven Superbowls. When Brock Burdy was the last man taken in his draft no one was thinking he would, at any point, be in the talks for league MVP, yet here we are? It don't matter which spot your drafted at as long as you got the skills and land in the right circumstances.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
Harbaugh is not this stupid. He doesn’t even let JJ throw in college.
This right here.

McCarthy's only thrown more than 30 passes in a game three times this season. Only time has he gone over 300 yards passing.

I don't see it with him. Not enough experience.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
This right here.

McCarthy's only thrown more than 30 passes in a game three times this season. Only time has he gone over 300 yards passing.

I don't see it with him. Not enough experience.
He barely has 550 passing attempts in his career. He’s a big time project at the next level. If history shows us anything, college passing attempts are a big factor in success, especially early success in the NFL.

JordanSigler

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He barely has 550 passing attempts in his career. He’s a big time project at the next level. If history shows us anything, college passing attempts are a big factor in success, especially early success in the NFL.
Well I mean other than the fact McCarthy has 668 passing attempts with 1-2 games more to go, you do realize the likely rookie of the year, CJ Stroud, threw only 830 times in college?

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Well I mean other than the fact McCarthy has 668 passing attempts with 1-2 games more to go, you do realize the likely rookie of the year, CJ Stroud, threw only 830 times in college?
Well shit, you are correct. I was looking at completions, not attempts lol…still not a fan of him as a prospect but thanks for correcting me

TL1961

Liked Posts:
If the Bears turn to Harbaugh, I could see them run Fields back one more season under the new coach and OC after building around him in the draft and FA and they likely trade back for quite a haul if they plan to spend pick on McCarthy and pick up some talent with a number of round 1 picks. I'm of the opinion that the quantity of draft picks plays a bigger role than the higher round ones because the draft is a game of playing the odds and increasing the chances of hitting is your best probability play.
This is the part I don’t understand.

I mean I don’t understand how people don’t understand.

Several people have suggested “one more year” with Fields, as though drafting a quarterback worthy of drafting is something you are able to do annually. You are not.

You cannot just keep “running it back, one more season“ and expect to have the number one pick with a quarterback worth having available in the draft. It simply does not work that way even if we wish that it did.

The Bears (likely) )have the opportunity this year to draft their next quarterback. There is absolutely no guarantee, and quite frankly it is highly unlikely, that they will have that opportunity again a year from now, so you better act when you have the chance.

I would be willing to see what fields could do one more year under another coach. If I felt the Bears opportunity that they have in 2024, would then present itself again in 2025, but that is nearly impossible.

And that is the entire point as to why they should , and will, move on this year.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:

Bears Backer 54

Liked Posts:
This is the part I don’t understand.

I mean I don’t understand how people don’t understand.

Several people have suggested “one more year” with Fields, as though drafting a quarterback worthy of drafting is something you are able to do annually. You are not.

You cannot just keep “running it back, one more season“ and expect to have the number one pick with a quarterback worth having available in the draft. It simply does not work that way even if we wish that it did.

The Bears (likely) )have the opportunity this year to draft their next quarterback. There is absolutely no guarantee, and quite frankly it is highly unlikely, that they will have that opportunity again a year from now, so you better act when you have the chance.

I would be willing to see what fields could do one more year under another coach. If I felt the Bears opportunity that they have in 2024, would then present itself again in 2025, but that is nearly impossible.

And that is the entire point as to why they should , and will, move on this year.
I'm not sure what is hard to understand. The draft isn't some scientific machine where choosing a QB in a certain round or pick provides any type of certainty of performance. Your comment "as though drafting a quarterback worthy of drafting is something you are able to do annually. You are not." assumes that being a top 1 or 2 pick somehow increases the likelihood of hitting on a QB prospect and all recent history seems to indicate that there are not a significant change in your success rate probabilities whether choosing the QB at pick 1 then choosing a QB around pick 10. The alternative strategy is to choose a QB but pick obtain additional assets and choose a QB a little later in the draft. You then have a final year of Fields contract to let a rookie potentially sit and see if Fields finds some success under a new regime and you haven't placed a massive bet on the #1 pick QB while still providing some future flexibility. Let's watch how Carolina's future plays out after going all in on Young at #1 and the potential other players it costs them so far and in this draft.

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:
I had absolutely no idea that McCarthy was only 20 years old. That is crazy young. No telling how good he could end up being. That being said you cant take him #1 or even with your second pick which would make no sense because if your going away from JF you take the best QB available at #1 and if youre sticking with him why the hell would you take a QB with your second pick? But then again these are da baers!

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
harbaugh is most likely headed to the Chargers

Beast15

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
McCarthy needs to hit the gym and eat an abundance of McDonald’s