Jamal Adams hands

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am in the camp that Jamal Adams is the safest pick in the draft...outside of a close competition with maybe Allen.

Trubs is safe because he is at least a career back-up. I believe you will get some QB value there guaranteed. Top 3? I'm not in that camp. He has a good mind, could be a great mind. He has good strong body, isn't that quick or fast, or that strong, but he is no pussy like Aaron Rodgers.

I want to discuss Adams hands though. I watched the sport science thing, and it distrubed me a ball he dropped near the end. His interception numbers are poor for a guy of his skill set. So can anyone add to this debate that follows LSU?

I see his interceptions on tape are "basket" catches. I don't see a guy who can pluck an NFL out throw out of the air. He will get his picks from WR's that fail tip the ball, or fail to bring it in quickly...any type of bobble and he might physically snatch it from your hands, but I don't trust him to catch something up high even if it hits his hands.

Does this dock him in anybodies mind if his ball skills are poor? He isn't a Lovie safety, I'll just say that. But that rarely panned out in the pro's anyway for ole Lovie.

look at 3:19....I'm not saying that is a catchable ball...but I am saying a person with good hands would not fail so incredibly in either the leap or the stone hand attempt that has zero chance at corralling that ball. And that is with no fear of landing. Rewatching it you know its forgiveable, would have been a great catch, I just find his technique that of guys I know who have no skill at catching. Just total block hands guys you played with on the playground.

[video=youtube;VBK2_gY8pyg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBK2_gY8pyg[/video]

5 interceptions behind total defensive line dominance in 36 starts. Backs this concern. LSU blows offensive lines up in front of him, there should be a few cookies.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
I am in the camp that Jamal Adams is the safest pick in the draft...outside of a close competition with maybe Allen.

Trubs is safe because he is at least a career back-up. I believe you will get some QB value there guaranteed. Top 3? I'm not in that camp. He has a good mind, could be a great mind. He has good strong body, isn't that quick or fast, or that strong, but he is no pussy like Aaron Rodgers.

I want to discuss Adams hands though. I watched the sport science thing, and it distrubed me a ball he dropped near the end. His interception numbers are poor for a guy of his skill set. So can anyone add to this debate that follows LSU?

I see his interceptions on tape are "basket" catches. I don't see a guy who can pluck an NFL out throw out of the air. He will get his picks from WR's that fail tip the ball, or fail to bring it in quickly...any type of bobble and he might physically snatch it from your hands, but I don't trust him to catch something up high even if it hits his hands.

Does this dock him in anybodies mind if his ball skills are poor? He isn't a Lovie safety, I'll just say that. But that rarely panned out in the pro's anyway for ole Lovie.

[video=youtube;VBK2_gY8pyg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBK2_gY8pyg[/video]

Whats a Lovie safety? Major Wright? Brandon McGowan? Adams is a bad ass and i'd be pleased with him at 3 along with Hooker/Thomas/Watson.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
He's obviously not a natural catcher like Hooker, who i think was originally a basketball guy? But the tape I've seen, his hands seem fine.

Coming in to his pro day, the biggest, read only, knocks on Adams were his speed and his lack of interceptions. The 4.4 at his pro day and the fact he plays fast and has elite play recognition skills took the first concern away. His hands are good enough I think but that's the only question mark left.

Who knows, once he's asked to do more things by an NFL team, maybe these skills develop? He's definitely my favourite non-QB in the draft. I was listening to Trey Wingo yesterday on Waddle & Silvy and he said him and John Allen were, by far, the two most impressive guys that visited NFL Live.

He's Lou Riddick's favourite guy in the whole draft.

By themselves these things are not that important but they help us build up a picture of a guy given that we only have access to 2% of the information GMs have.

I Just Want To Read

Liked Posts:
I don't understand this boards obsession with going for the safe pick at #3.

Our defense was actually decent in terms of yardage. Where we fall woefully short is splash plays.

If we go defense at #3, we should be seeking someone who can deliver Turnovers or Sacks.

You should draft for ceiling in the 1st round, and to me Hooker's ceiling is clearly higher.

Edit to add: lol at buying into hand-timed Pro Day 40s.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
I don't understand this boards obsession with going for the safe pick at #3.

Our defense was actually decent in terms of yardage. Where we fall woefully short is splash plays.

If we go defense at #3, we should be seeking someone who can deliver Turnovers or Sacks.

You should draft for ceiling in the 1st round, and to me Hooker's ceiling is clearly higher.

Edit to add: lol at buying into hand-timed Pro Day 40s.

I heard everything from 4.35 to 4.42 so unless you think ten people all pressed the button early I think we can say his speed is not a concern.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
He has plenty of speed and skill to cover a TE or slot receiver, can beat a block and hunt down a RB. Don't overanalyze it, Adams could challenge for the best player on our defense as a rookie. Take the guy, be content that you solved a problem that plagued the defense for a decade and don't look back. He is one of two can't miss prospects in this draft.

Fencik45

Liked Posts:
I'm in agreement of adding a solid safety for the defense. QB at 3 in this years draft is tight (IMHO). Yet, DB's (safteys and corners are full in this draft). It will be interesting.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I heard everything from 4.35 to 4.42 so unless you think ten people all pressed the button early I think we can say his speed is not a concern.

Adding a quality safety can most definitely help in creating turnovers.