James Daniels on tape

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
backup guard........Whitehair Daniels Long......they can still afford Long next year, although they may draft his potential replacement....
Long will be cut this off-season. I'm willing to take any and all bets on it.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Those videos play like crap for me and I haven't looked through my recording yet, but Daniels is why contrary to popular opinion I was happy with this draft.

Well, the Bears 1st potential "out" on Longs ridiculous contract is this off-season. They stand to save nearly 7m in cap when they cut him. It's a no brainier. Yet, some here will still be shocked when it happens, I'm sure..

I doubt if his contract is an issue. His body is. Why do so many Bear fans act like it's their money?

I get playing armchair GM with the cap, but what are you planning on doing to actually save $7M by cutting a starter, get a UDFA or 7th rounder to replace him? Because that's how you have a successful offense.
And isn't our first draft pick a 3rd rounder next year? If his body is holding up we really don't need to be creating holes to save pocket change when we really could use at least 1 OT as it is.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
The contract doesn't bother me honestly if he's able to play. Speculatively, I just don't think his body will be able to hold up. But I'd like to be wrong.

I got a chance to see him in person in Lake Forest during preseason. He looked really cut/in shape, but also just ... beat up. He was still in great shape weight wise, but you can tell his body is starting to feel the wear and tear of being in the NFL for 5 years.

Novak

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Those videos play like crap for me and I haven't looked through my recording yet, but Daniels is why contrary to popular opinion I was happy with this draft.

I doubt if his contract is an issue. His body is. Why do so many Bear fans act like it's their money?

I get playing armchair GM with the cap, but what are you planning on doing to actually save $7M by cutting a starter, get a UDFA or 7th rounder to replace him? Because that's how you have a successful offense.
And isn't our first draft pick a 3rd rounder next year? If his body is holding up we really don't need to be creating holes to save pocket change when we really could use at least 1 OT as it is.
Good GMs win championships with multiple starters playing on rookie contracts. The Bears are going to need to clear cap space with this Mack signing, or they won't be able to sign anyone. If long was playing at a high level with good health, this wouldn't be an issue. He's not, so this is.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
While Pace has taken some deserved criticism for his 1st round selections, I believe he is one of the top GMs in the league in identifying mid round talent.

The Bears have 8 starters (out of 13 total selections) drafted between the 2nd-5th round from 2015-2017 (I didn't count 2018 because its a little too early). Of the 5 players remaining, only 2 of these players aren't on our active roster (Grasu, Langford).

I have been a huge supporter of Pace because of this. He really understands value picks in the 2-5 rounds and moves up and down the draft accordingly.

What is also critical is that once you become a playoff team, you don't get those high picks anymore. The pressure really mounts up to find starters in the mid rounds and Pace excels there. I see our defense being very good for several years and if he can add some depth at CB in the mid rounds (which he will have to do after the Mack trade) the Bears will be here to stay.

Tee

Beast Mode
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Houston Cougars

He wants to play for the raiders let's package is ass for some draft picks

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
two 1st and a 3rd? I'd be willing to chip in a 2nd with Long as well

Novak

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

He has an untradable contract situation. This isn't armchair GM'ing... this is logistics. The only option this off-season is cutting him.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I think most fans were very happy with this draft.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Good GMs win championships with multiple starters playing on rookie contracts. The Bears are going to need to clear cap space with this Mack signing, or they won't be able to sign anyone. If long was playing at a high level with good health, this wouldn't be an issue. He's not, so this is.

So you go with a 3rd to 7th rounder unknown to replace a known commodity. And if it doesn't work out and the QB can't get no satisfaction you've managed to pay Mack but it's wasted because there's no offense. As we have seen in the difference between protecting the QB in game 4 and not protecting him in games 1-3.
If Mack is the problem why not trade Mack to get picks to build an offense that doesn't need Mack? (Not really suggesting that, just saying that's an option.)

Don't get me wrong. My theory is everyone is expendable if it's to upgrade the position. And I'm thinking Long is about done. But the Mack trade makes getting almost sure thing upgrades in the draft much more difficult. Not impossible because Pace seems to be a savant in later rounds but more difficult. But we sure don't need J'Taco replacing anyone on our oline.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:

I dont think you get away from continuity if you dont have to.

I see him on the roster next year

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I don't disagree but recognition counts as much as technique and strength. One reason I think he should stay at G is his strength, it's more needed at G than center. I see him a a dominant G that can work in space. Jack of all trades. Just pointing out why he hasn't started yet but he's not far away.

I was just commenting on the one play, but you could be right.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I know people like to pile on Massie but he was literally right in the middle of the pack among all starting RTs in the NFL last season and thus far this season he hasn't been egregiously bad either. I'm all for starting Coward eventually as Massie's replacement but that time hasn't come yet.

Massie has played well enough to keep his job and has been one of the few healthy pieces on the offensive line these years.

As for the topic of the thread, the faster Kush is benched the happier I will be. I have never liked Kush as a starter. He is at best a good backup lineman. I would love to see James Daniels take his place at guard.

ridemywheelie

Liked Posts:
What an impressive game. I think this will do wonders for Howard's inside run game. Although I llove Mitch lighting it up in Nagy's pass-happy offense, I miss Howard pounding out 5+ yards per carry. I think the Bears can absolutely scorch teams with play action.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
What an impressive game. I think this will do wonders for Howard's inside run game. Although I llove Mitch lighting it up in Nagy's pass-happy offense, I miss Howard pounding out 5+ yards per carry. I think the Bears can absolutely scorch teams with play action.

What do you think they did on Sunday? They torched the Bucs on play action.

That was 25 carries and 26 passing attempts without including any carries by receivers or quarterbacks. Cmon man.

redgrange19

Eater of Ham
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I think this could end up being a great draft class. Nichols has flashed in snaps, Roquan is still adjusting but shown to be competent in run support and solid in coverage. Anthony Miller will be a baller, kid just has it. Daniels in limited snaps has been awesome. Fitts is a project, hopefully he can be a competent replacement for Acho. Wims is raw but offers tremendous upside.

EDIT: Forgot Iggy, I've noticed him a few times doing good on special teams. Sometimes not being noticed in that phase of the game is a good thing. Hope that unit keeps up the solid work.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Well, the Bears 1st potential "out" on Longs ridiculous contract is this off-season. They stand to save nearly 7m in cap when they cut him. It's a no brainier. Yet, some here will still be shocked when it happens, I'm sure..

Don't forget that when (usually) an offensive lineman gets to the point where he is overpaid, he will be given the option of getting cut or taking a pay cut. That may be on option in keeping him. I am not saying that it is good or bad, just an option.

As for him looking beat up during preseason, have people forgotten that he had around 7 operations and was recovering from them? Add to the 7 operations, he had more injuries that weren't operated on.

So did he look beat up because he has broken down and is only going to get worse or has he tried to play with multiple injuries, making him look worse than he can be only to get more injuries because he was playing hurt?

If the latter, he may eventually get somewhat healthy and become valuable enough to be worth keeping if he accepts a pay cut. He is only 29 years old (I believe) and that is not even close to old for offensive linemen.

Novak

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Don't forget that when (usually) an offensive lineman gets to the point where he is overpaid, he will be given the option of getting cut or taking a pay cut. That may be on option in keeping him. I am not saying that it is good or bad, just an option.

As for him looking beat up during preseason, have people forgotten that he had around 7 operations and was recovering from them? Add to the 7 operations, he had more injuries that weren't operated on.

So did he look beat up because he has broken down and is only going to get worse or has he tried to play with multiple injuries, making him look worse than he can be only to get more injuries because he was playing hurt?

If the latter, he may eventually get somewhat healthy and become valuable enough to be worth keeping if he accepts a pay cut. He is only 29 years old (I believe) and that is not even close to old for offensive linemen.

They pay cut option is definitely a good point. If Long agrees to a contract worth half of what he's scheduled to make, the Bears will keep him. Outside of that.... he gone.

I have no arguments with the rest of your post, as long as you aren't counting the 7 (or so) surgeries as a positive for Long/the Bears. They're not positives, they're negatives towards this discussion. He'll be 30 and extremely weathered by next season.

Fair and logical, per the usual with you.