Jason Hammel Trade Rumor Thread

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Don't get locked into the notion that they have to get arms. Nick Franklin is a very interesting piece that has struggled a ton in Seattle. However, he hits left handed and can play SS, 2B and some OF, and is just 23 years old. Get him out of Safeco and he might blossom. I would say that is a hell of return on a 30 year old rental starting pitcher with an up and down career/checkered health history.

I'm not dead set on a pitcher as the key piece. If someone had an OF I can see it. But in particular Franklin doesn't make sense to me. The problem I see with Franklin is how do you get at bats for him in the majors? SS is filled with Castro. 2B is likely to be filled by Baez and if not Baez Alcantara and if not those two you start to talk about potentially Villanueva moving. As for the OF part, he's played all of 4 games in the OF in both the majors and minors. I'm not really behind the idea of moving players off positions they played most of their minor league careers. It's the same problem I have with Alcantara talk to OF.

Don't get me wrong, you make trades for the best players not necessarily the best fit. But Seattle just feels like forcing it unless they are offering something like Franklin, Paxton and a high upside third piece.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I think some of you are over valuing Hammel. .
Yes he having a good year to date but teams know his past and also realize he just a rental for this year.. Hammel just gonna net a low end or two minor leaguer or someone that vlose but may need a change of scenery type.. their not getting a team top prospects for him..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
They haven't worried about disgracing the organization and the fans the last 3 years, why start now?

The team hasn't won a WS in over a century. That is a disgrace. What they have been doing the last three years is called...marketing.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not dead set on a pitcher as the key piece. If someone had an OF I can see it. But in particular Franklin doesn't make sense to me. The problem I see with Franklin is how do you get at bats for him in the majors? SS is filled with Castro. 2B is likely to be filled by Baez and if not Baez Alcantara and if not those two you start to talk about potentially Villanueva moving. As for the OF part, he's played all of 4 games in the OF in both the majors and minors. I'm not really behind the idea of moving players off positions they played most of their minor league careers. It's the same problem I have with Alcantara talk to OF.

Don't get me wrong, you make trades for the best players not necessarily the best fit. But Seattle just feels like forcing it unless they are offering something like Franklin, Paxton and a high upside third piece.
Baez and Alcantara aren't here yet and no guarantees that either are going to be here long term. Acquire as many upside young position players and you can work out where they all play (Also is there any better trade chip than cheap, young major league talent?). I think you can find a role for Franklin/Alcantara as guys that play 4-5 times a week in several different spots. Franklin does add a left handed hitter with a little pop and a good idea at the plate. I am not saying that Franklin is an ideal trade target, but the amount of talent he has compared to what you are giving up is huge. Seems very similar type of get that Feldman received in talented, major league ready player that has struggled in his first stop.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Yeah, you should post that exact same thing in every single thread in the forum.

Well every single trade the Cubs make of MLB assets like Hammel and Shark, yeah I'll say it.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well every single trade the Cubs make of MLB assets like Hammel and Shark, yeah I'll say it.
Because the trade of major league asset Scott Feldman netted nothing for the major league roster in 2014...

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I think some of you are over valuing Hammel.

When has anyone mentioned a teams top prospect? In fact, I specifically said that Seattle wasn't going to trade Walker. Furthermore, I suggested the blue jays would be interested because they wouldn't have to trade their top 2 prospects and a third player who was either #3 or #4. That being said, Hammel isn't Feldman. They aren't going to trade him for an Arrieta type. Hammel's ERA is 3/4's of a run lower than Feldmans. Hammel's season isn't smoke and mirrors. His k rate/bb rate is 8.21/1.94. His strand rate isn't really out of range. His BABIP and HR/FB are perhaps slightly low but even if you even that out with xFIP you're talking about a sub 3.50 ERA.

In my opinion they'll get at a minimum one real prospect for him. Gammons suggested a Garza level deal was possible. Personally I'm thinking more like that deal minus Olt which is to say one player of Edwards level and two lessor pieces. Norris, Nolin and a third lessor guy for example. You're talking about a 2/3 pitching prospect, a back of the rotation starter and likely a bench player or a bullpen arm. That's if those players make it as we all know prospects are far from a sure thing. I honestly don't see why they'd bother trading Hammel for a deal with the top player being a 4/5 starter. You could arguably gamble that Hammel will get at least $14 mil next year and throw out a QO on him and potentially get a high round draft pick for him. Keep in mind Feldman got $10 mil last year and Garza was $13 mil IIRC after a 3.82 ERA season with 7.88/2.43 k/9 bb/9 rates. Think that's crazy? Look at Ervin Santana's numbers last year. Santana got a QO and the Braves ended up giving the 28th pick in the draft for him.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Because the trade of major league asset Scott Feldman netted nothing for the major league roster in 2014...
The roster is still on pace for about 100 losses.

I'm sure Theo will deal Arrieta or Strop when they become good.

Extending Castro and Rizzo isn't enough of a commitment to me for a winning organization.

Dealing Shark and Hammel would be 1 step forward and 2 back.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Random Hammel thought wonder if the Yankees would be an interesting fit because of international bonus money. The Cubs are limited in the size of bonus they can hand out so there has been some idea that the Cubs could throw some of their slot money this year as pot sweetener. The Yankees are looking to do the same strategy the Cubs did last year where they just blow by their bonus pool in international signings. Wonder if Hammel and a slot would be a package to get something a little better out of the Yanks.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
The roster is still on pace for about 100 losses.

I'm sure Theo will deal Arrieta or Strop when they become good.

Extending Castro and Rizzo isn't enough of a commitment to me for a winning organization.

Dealing Shark and Hammel would be 1 step forward and 2 back.

Your point has been that the major league players are never traded for major league help and clearly that is false. But keep regurgitating the Salami crew playbook...

Because clearly dealing Feldman was 1 step forward 2 step back...

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Your point has been that the major league players are never traded for major league help and clearly that is false. But keep regurgitating the Salami crew playbook...

I'd love to see this thing turn around. Dealing Shark and Hammel both would be counter-intuitive to that being accomplished in the next year or two.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd love to see this thing turn around. Dealing Shark and Hammel both would be counter-intuitive to that being accomplished in the next year or two.

Lets see what they get for those two before we declare absolutely. You and those of your ilk were claiming the same thing about the Feldman deal and gee the Cubs got two major league players for one.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Random Hammel thought wonder if the Yankees would be an interesting fit because of international bonus money. The Cubs are limited in the size of bonus they can hand out so there has been some idea that the Cubs could throw some of their slot money this year as pot sweetener. The Yankees are looking to do the same strategy the Cubs did last year where they just blow by their bonus pool in international signings. Wonder if Hammel and a slot would be a package to get something a little better out of the Yanks.

They very well could deal those slots(in fact I think they will to someone) but Banuelos doesn't do it for me as previously stated. Mason Williams is an OF prospect of some note but he's not playing particularly well as a 22 year old in AA. Gary Sanchez is some what interesting given the lack of catching prospects in the system. He's in AA and 21 playing decently. However, he is a righty which you'd prefer to match up a lefty with Castillo. That being said, Castillo is 27. So, in theory they could be talking about him being a FA by the time Sanchez is ready for the majors(1.5-2 years). The rest of their prospects are average at best.

So, I'm not really sure what they would be sweetening the deal for. Sanchez is really the only prospect that I see them having that would need more than Hammel alone.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Lets see what they get for those two before we declare absolutely. You and those of your ilk were claiming the same thing about the Feldman deal and gee the Cubs got two major league players for one.

This is the third year in a row they've signed someone to get dealt. The return for Maholm has been non-existent. The return for Feldman has been much better than expected.

The return from Hammel will hopefully be similar to that of Feldman's, but its my belief that buying to sell isn't a way towards sustained success.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is the third year in a row they've signed someone to get dealt. The return for Maholm has been non-existent. The return for Feldman has been much better than expected.

The return from Hammel will hopefully be similar to that of Feldman's, but its my belief that buying to sell isn't a way towards sustained success.
The return for Feldman has been phenomenal with the way Arrieta has blossomed under Bosio. Strop has been a solid reliever. How this is anything less than a total win for the organization is beyond me.

We will see about Maholm. The health question is never going to go away with Vizcaino, but he has been dominant this year. At age 23 he could be special for a while if the arm doesn't blow up.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The team hasn't won a WS in over a century. That is a disgrace. What they have been doing the last three years is called...marketing.

Its called pissing on my leg and calling it rain.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I agree in some ways with samardzija, unless a team blows them away with players that will be part of the team 2015 and beyond theres no need to move him now..

Hammel is having a career year to date and don't expect it to continue into the 2nd half. . if they can get 1 productive player for him for next year and beyond, ill be happy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Tapatalk

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
The return for Maholm has been non-existent.

They traded for an injured pitcher who had a set back. You're still talking about a 23 year old pitcher who in his first season back since then has had 10.0 k/9 and 2.9 bb/9 in 21.2 IP to go along with a 2.08 ERA between A+ and AA. Even if they leave him in the minors all of next year which is unlikely, he'll still only be 25 by the time he's ready for the majors assuming he stays healthy. At the very least, he's got a very good shot at being a dominate closer. His fastball was rated by mlb.com as a 70 and his curve was a 65. To put that into perspective, Archie Bradley had the same rankings for those two pitches and Vizzcaino had a 55 control compared to Bradley's 50. The difference between them is obviously injury issues with Vizcaino and the fact that Bradley has a better change up(45 vs 50).

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I believe the idea was to get him back playing this year in lower stress games. Next year he should be in the BP mix.

I can understand dealing out Hammel.

What if they sign him to a deal like Feldman signed.

Next year 12 mil.
then 10 mil and 8 mil in 2017.

Then he regresses.

We would be talking about another Jackson signing.

Career: 4.65 ERA 1.405 WHIP 6.7 SO/9 This year has been abnormal for him.
Jackson 4.50 ERA 1.444 WHIP 7.0 SO/9.

Career wise they are on the same level.

The chance he falls back like Wood did is greater than any "sustained" success.