Jason McLeod on Scouting and Player Development

CSF77

Liked Posts:
That was a great read. Makes me wonder about the Cubs buying low on Headley in the offseason even more.

IDK about that. I believe they will let Bryant play 3B and his bat will overshadow any D issues.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
IDK about that. I believe they will let Bryant play 3B and his bat will overshadow any D issues.

Yes, but Headley is also capable of playing OF. They've talked about a veteran bat. Headley is a switch hitter that can hold down 3B to start the season and shift to the OF when Bryant is ready. I am starting to see the fit more and more.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Yes, but Headley is also capable of playing OF. They've talked about a veteran bat. Headley is a switch hitter that can hold down 3B to start the season and shift to the OF when Bryant is ready. I am starting to see the fit more and more.

Maybe:

OF

Bonifacio........261/.307/.340 1 HR 13 SB 241 AB
Ruggiano.......240/.333/.385 2 HR 0 SB 104 AB
Lake..............234/.263/.411 9 HR 7 SB 231 AB
Coghlan.........202/.282/.333 2 HR 2 SB 99 AB
Sweeney.......202/.243/.240 0 HR 0 SB 104 AB
Schierholtz ...200/.253/.298 3 HR 3 SB 245 AB
Kalish...........242/.303/.330 0 HR 3 SB 91 AB

IF:
Rizzo..........282/.394/.512 17 HR 1 SB 287 AB
Castro........283/.329/.469 11 HR 2 SB 318 AB
Valbuena....271/.361/.448 5 HR 0 SB 221 AB.
Barney.......198/.243/.284 2 HR 1 SB 162 AB
Olt............142/.224/.346 10 HR 0 SB 162 AB

They need the help.

My opinion is they need to promote Alcantara and Bryant in Aug.

Looking at the numbers:
Valbuena deserves a starting gig.
OF you can ass can.
Rizzo and Castro

So 4 players deserve to be on the team next year. Add Bryant and Alcantara. I can not see them not giving a roster spot to Baez.

It depends if they want to move Bryant to the OF.

Headley career:
3215 AB
.265/.347/.409 86 HR

This year:
208 AB
.207/.294/.332 6 HR

Reason why I would concider it: 2012 GG winner.

I wouldn't put him in the OF with a GG under his belt. I would move Bryant to RF at that point.

IDK it could work

Make the OF LF Baez, CF Alcantara, RF Bryant
3B Headley, SS Castro, 2B Valbuena, 1B Rizzo.

OF would be a little sketchy but it would be a huge improvement over this year.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Matter of a fact I would trade Lake and Barney for him today. Extend him after. They can then move Valbuena over to 2B then let Bryant/Baez and Alcantara play the OF. They have Valikia and Watkins to cover 3B and 2B and move Vitters back to 1B. Let them get used to playing together for a few months and promote them.

AA: Christian Villanueva: .317/.378/.488 Promote
AAA: Brett Jackson .196/.281/.329 Demote

Christian moves back to 3B. Bryant to RF. Watkins to SS. Baez to LF. Valaika from 1B to 2B. Vitters from LF to 1B. Alcantara from 2B to CF.

Let them play there until Aug.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd love to be wrong on this one, but I am starting to think that Baez/Bryant won't be here until May of next year at earliest. Alcantara I am hopeful that we will get to see this year. I am guessing the OF reject prospects of Szczur, Vitters, and Jackson might get a shot, and arms on the 40 man roster already will get shots. Apart from that I am not too hopeful.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I'd love to be wrong on this one, but I am starting to think that Baez/Bryant won't be here until May of next year at earliest. Alcantara I am hopeful that we will get to see this year. I am guessing the OF reject prospects of Szczur, Vitters, and Jackson might get a shot, and arms on the 40 man roster already will get shots. Apart from that I am not too hopeful.
You may be right if the plan is to get a top 3-5 pick in 2015 draft

Right now their 4th but just 1 1/2 games from being first and just 5 games from being 14th..
Yea there that many bad teams playing right now...

61/2 games separating 14 teams for the worse record in baseball.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

I would guess Baez would compete in S/T.
Apr: .172/.238/.379
May: .250/.303/.435
Jun: .253/.318/.442

Apr killed him. Again never played in the cold. But after his production has been less than what it should have been.

Last 10 days: .342/.432/.421 Heading in the right direction. 38 AB 6 BB 11 SO. Those are number he needs to sustain to get into the conversation this year.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
You may be right if the plan is to get a top 3-5 pick in 2015 draft

Right now their 4th but just 1 1/2 games from being first and just 5 games from being 14th..
Yea there that many bad teams playing right now...

61/2 games separating 14 teams for the worse record in baseball.

I would guess Baez would compete in S/T.
Apr: .172/.238/.379
May: .250/.303/.435
Jun: .253/.318/.442

Apr killed him. Again never played in the cold. But after his production has been less than what it should have been.

Last 10 days: .342/.432/.421 Heading in the right direction. 38 AB 6 BB 11 SO. Those are number he needs to sustain to get into the conversation this year.
Again would love to be wrong, but those cheap pre-arb years are precious commodities. The Cubs might not be willing to sacrifice one of those during the competitive window for time up in a lost season. We will see. However if Baez and Bryant aren't up at the end of this season there is no reason for them to start the year on the big league club next year.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
However if Baez and Bryant aren't up at the end of this season there is no reason for them to start the year on the big league club next year.

Only thing that bothers me with that is then they go into off season not really knowing who to add or if their even looking to add a significant position player and their basically throwing away the first month of the season cause their starting their bench players in baez bryant and maybe Alcantara position and the bench are guys that will be cut or sent down to minors in may when they do get the call.

Seriously if these kids are pounding AAA come Aug/Sept how can you justify not bringing them up then unless they flat out tell them were trying to save future money by holding you back.

Same thing in ST, if they hit and deserve to make opening day roster over whatever garbage they plan on holding their spots fir a month.. they can't justify it unless they flat out say their going the cheap route to save a year salary.

I think they may end up costing themselves in the future with these kids when they do try to extend them hoping to get a team discount if they play the super2 card with them now when they worked hard all year and earned a call up or a trip north opening day 2015...

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Only thing that bothers me with that is then they go into off season not really knowing who to add or if their even looking to add a significant position player and their basically throwing away the first month of the season cause their starting their bench players in baez bryant and maybe Alcantara position and the bench are guys that will be cut or sent down to minors in may when they do get the call.

Seriously if these kids are pounding AAA come Aug/Sept how can you justify not bringing them up then unless they flat out tell them were trying to save future money by holding you back.

Same thing in ST, if they hit and deserve to make opening day roster over whatever garbage they plan on holding their spots fir a month.. they can't justify it unless they flat out say their going the cheap route to save a year salary.

I think they may end up costing themselves in the future with these kids when they do try to extend them hoping to get a team discount if they play the super2 card with them now when they worked hard all year and earned a call up or a trip north opening day 2015...
Blame the CBA which has created this system, the union has bargained away the rights of non-union members (minor league players aren't part of the union) for decades now. The reality is that Baez and Bryant are going to get shots, but due to the roster rules there really is no incentive to play them in the majors this year. The only thing is starting the learning curve at the major league level, but there is plenty that can be worked on by both players in the minor leagues right now as well. It sucks for us as fans that have to wait longer than is minimally necessary (I am not sure that Baez or Bryant would be up right now just based on whether FO thought they were ready or not), but until the system changes those cheap pre-arb years are needed.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Anyone else more concerned that McLeod is about to take his talents somewhere else?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Anyone else more concerned that McLeod is about to take his talents somewhere else?

I actually feel good that the SD front office will fuck this up and go with a big name guy instead of McLeod. Now if Philly or Seattle or another market pulls the plug then I will get more worried.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I actually feel good that the SD front office will fuck this up and go with a big name guy instead of McLeod. Now if Philly or Seattle or another market pulls the plug then I will get more worried.

Heard they are looking to get back Towers. I am just praying teams keep over looking him because he will be a GM in the near future.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Heard they are looking to get back Towers. I am just praying teams keep over looking him because he will be a GM in the near future.

He will get his shot, but I honestly feel decent about making it through this coming year with McLeod in place. I am guessing that SD and Arizona are the only GM spots hiring and I think they will pass over McLeod. Could be wrong, but just a feeling I have that I explained my rationale here.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Reportedly McLeod has taken himself out of the running for the San Diego gig.

That's great news! I hope we can squeeze another draft maybe two out of him. I think he's going to be a very good GM for some team.

theberserkfury

Liked Posts:
"We have something special going on here" - McLeod