Jay Cutler - Is he Really Playing his Best?

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
One of the things I have preached on here is that while I will highlight when I think Jay is playing like shit, I will also be the first to note when he is playing well. It's why I kinda think the whole "hater" thing doesn't make sense. Being realistic is not hating. Being realistic is, well, calling it like I see it.

For me, it's all about winning. Jay playing great helps the team win. Plain and simple.

With that, since returning from his injury in week 4, Jay Cutler is playing the best football of his career. The Bears are 4-2 (from that point), and for the first time this season, are favored to win. As important, I'm heading to SF Sunday actually confident I'm going to see a good game - and I have us winning as well.

I've gone back (even to his Denver days) and evaluated every 6-game stretch. Surprisingly, this isn't the first time he's put together a stretch like this.

Here's his best 6-game stretches, best being first:

1) 2015: Games 4-9 - Overall record 4-2
148 Completions on 226 Attempts, 1700 yards, 11 TD's, 3 INT's = 98.7 QB Rating

2) 2010: Games 10-15 - Overall record 5-1
90 Completions on 147 Attempts, 1198 yards, 11 TD's, 5 INT's for a 97.8 QB Rating

2) 2014: Games 1-6 - Overall record 3-3
156 Completions on 229 Attempts, 1676 yards, 13 TD's, 6 INT's for a 97.4 QB Rating

2) 2013: Games 1-6 - Overall record 4-2
143 Completions on 217 Attempts, 1630 yards, 12 TD's,, 6 INT's for a 95.2 QB Rating

It's safe to say I really hope this continues.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I am surprised 2011 games 5-10 didn't make this list.

At any rate, it is crazy to think that Cutler's best 6 game stretch is only slightly better than Rodgers' worst 6 game stretch since 2008.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:

At any rate, it is crazy to think that Cutler's best 6 game stretch is only slightly better than Rodgers' worst 6 game stretch since 2008.

he had a 91.3 over that 6 game stretch

111 completions on 183 attempts, 1359 yards, 8 TD's, 3 INT's

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
gnrl.gif

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

This. Good thing he is now realizing Jay has played well before. Usual when Jay plays well its because a variety of things that mongo automatically points out to discount his performance. Gem like the defense got a turnover or our returner got to the 30

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:

I think you'd find that Rodgers pretty much blows every team's QB out of the water since 2008. No one is saying Cutler is Rodgers, but Cutler is playing well enough right now to lead this team to a playoff run.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
im loving the nearly 4:1 td/int ratio over that stretch.

though, yes, ill admit im not sure he can keep it up. but we shall see. keep it at 3:1 and ill be more than happy.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
yaaay stats, That's not the total all, as mentioned before it's a bit surprised that 2011's stretch isn't on there because that was still probably the best he was ever playing. System/talent/situation also factor into such elements.

Though if you take Slausen's word, his checks and calls are on top right now.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
This. Good thing he is now realizing Jay has played well before. Usual when Jay plays well its because a variety of things that mongo automatically points out to discount his performance. Gem like the defense got a turnover or our returner got to the 30

Good thing I'm "now" realizing?

I guarantee I have watched more of his good and bad play than you have

He's had other good stretches than the ones I noted. Like I said, in 2011, he had a 6 game stretch where he had a 91 QB rating. With Denver, he had a stretch where he had a 93.5.

What I didn't highlight was the games around those stretches.

Those really bad stretches, as a fan wanting to win, are what I "hate"

Don't you?

If not, why not?

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Remember that talk we had about cumulative stats and averages and how they can say very little about game to game performance?

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Good thing I'm "now" realizing?

I guarantee I have watched more of his good and bad play than you have

He's had other good stretches than the ones I noted. Like I said, in 2011, he had a 6 game stretch where he had a 91 QB rating. With Denver, he had a stretch where he had a 93.5.

What I didn't highlight was the games around those stretches.

Those really bad stretches, as a fan wanting to win, are what I "hate"

Don't you?

If not, why not?
I'm more mocking the fact that that when he has had a good game you've come up with a reason to discount it. Hell you even hadve a recent thread " Jay's improvement " doing just that

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
Remember that talk we had about cumulative stats and averages and how they can say very little about game to game performance?

The Bears were the best team in the 2006/07 SB.

Yes, the Colts had the best player. But even still, Manning was not why they won. His Coach was. The Bears were the more talented team.

We lost the game due to 3 very critical factors:

1) Our 3T DT (Harris) was out as well as our D play caller (Brown).

2) The Weather was a huge factor. I was there. The rain was much worse than what was on TV. The field was crap. Playing a true Cover 2, We had a speed/gang tackling D. It was nullified by the D having no footing at all.

3) The Colts/ Manning knew and adjusted at the line to our D play calls. The Bears adjusted at half and changed the signals. But, Dungie kept the Colts in it by attacking our D based on what was called.

This leads to a deep dive on Hunter Hillenmeyer - who I feel was the most pivotal player in the loss (behind Daniel Manning)

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
We have a forum for these.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
I'm more mocking the fact that that when he has had a good game you've come up with a reason to discount it. Hell you even hadve a recent thread " Jay's improvement " doing just that

If Jay is playing well. I will say so. If I feel he is not, I will say so.

Same as every other player.

But no one on here wants him to play well as much as I do.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think you'd find that Rodgers pretty much blows every team's QB out of the water since 2008. No one is saying Cutler is Rodgers, but Cutler is playing well enough right now to lead this team to a playoff run.

Rodgers is also the poster child for how to develop a QB. Let him sit, never switch systems or coaches, invest in the skills positions.

He is a talented guy.

But he is also the playbook on how to develop a QB to be successful.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Yes, the Colts had the best player. But even still, Manning was not why they won. His Coach was. The Bears were the more talented team.

2) The Weather was a huge factor. I was there. The rain was much worse than what was on TV. The field was crap. Playing a true Cover 2, We had a speed/gang tackling D. It was nullified by the D having no footing at all.

3) The Colts/ Manning knew and adjusted at the line to our D play calls. The Bears adjusted at half and changed the signals. But, Dungie kept the Colts in it by attacking our D based on what was called.

This leads to a deep dive on Hunter Hillenmeyer - who I feel was the most pivotal player in the loss (behind Daniel Manning)

not to mention all of the long throws by Grossman getting hung up in the wind.

On the Cutler note, he looks better but we shouldn't be drawing any conclusions yet. He hasn't looked this good since 2011

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

wtf are you talking about?