Jay Cutler was overpaid in 2014, moving forward he's very affordable.

3rd N Long

Liked Posts:
http://sportsmockery.com/2015/01/jay-cutlers-contract-makes-affordable-moving-forward/

Jay Cutler Was Overpaid In 2014, Moving Forward He’s Very Affordable

by WindyCityFan - Jan 24, 2015

It’s safe to say the Chicago Bears’ 2014 season was a train wreck and should be nailed in a wooden coffin and buried away for eternity. That being said, it’s over and can’t be taken back. The GM was fired, the head coach was fired and all the assistant coaches were fired. The players remain…. most of them.

Heading into 2015, Jay Cutler ($16.5m) will be the 11th highest paid QUARTERBACK in the NFL. Not the eleventh highest paid player, he will be the 18th highest paid player equivalent to the likes of Andre Johnson ($16m) and Haloti Ngata ($16m). Cutler will only be getting paid about $800,000 more than Chiefs quarterback Alex Smith.

Quick Facts:

Cutler signed a seven-year $126 million extension with Chicago in January, 2014.
With 18 interceptions, Cutler tied Philip Rivers for the league lead last season.
Cutler had a career high, 12 fumbles in 2014.
He threw for the most yards (3,812) and touchdowns (28) in a single season, as a member of the Chicago Bears in 2014.
Jay Cutler was the highest paid player in the NFL last season after the Bears finished 5-11, missing the playoffs for the seventh time in eight seasons.

All the Cutler haters, including myself, will say he led the league in interceptions twice with Chicago and hasn’t shown a winning pedigree his entire career – that’s a fact. Here’s another fact, when Peyton Manning got hurt in the second half of last season, new Chicago Bears offensive coordinator Adam Gase pumped out 849 yards from undrafted rookie CJ Anderson with a heavy set running offense to accomodate. The results were 4.7 yards per carry for Anderson, Matt Forte only average 3.9 last season.

Point being, the entire organization has changed and the ‘culture’ is completely different. With a productive running game coupled with a run defense that doesn’t look like the Little Giants, Cutler is in a much better position to succeed moving forward, not to mention the millions of dollars it would cost for Chicago to get rid of him. According to Sporting News, it would cost $19.5 million to cut him before March 12th and upwards of $25-30 million after. Cutler is also guaranteed at least $10 million for 2016 after March 12th passes.

Would you rather have Cutler on your team paying him as the 11th best QB in the league for 2015, or would you rather pay upwards of $20+ million to get rid of him?

Unless someone is willing to trade for Cutler and accept 100% of his contract (lookin’ at you Tennessee), the Chicago Bears will most-likely have #6 at the helm for the next couple years. Considering Cutler’s trade value may be at the lowest point of his career, a trade is unlikely.

Even though I would be considered one of the “Jay Cutler Haters,” I still don’t think the NFL has seen his best football yet. Cutler’s long-term value, based on his projected salary for 2015 and 2016, makes him worth keeping in Chicago.

Bear down.

Once you add in Wilson and Luck new contracts, that should move him down to #13 highest paid QB in 2015. This assumes that no other QB gets a better contract as well.

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I know this goes against popular opinion on this board, but this is the fans fault. Cutler would be great (possibly HOF destined) if we just supported him like REAL fans should.

malcore

I know this goes against popular opinion on this board, but this is the fans fault. Cutler would be great (possibly HOF destined) if we just supported him like REAL fans should.

The media has played a role there too. They just want clicks, not wins.

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The media has played a role there too. They just want clicks, not wins.

Don't get me started on the click-thirsty media/blogtards...

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
the contract is perfect market value

jay has been worth every penny

MrOuija

Liked Posts:
http://sportsmockery.com/2015/01/jay-cutlers-contract-makes-affordable-moving-forward/

Once you add in Wilson and Luck new contracts, that should move him down to #13 highest paid QB in 2015. This assumes that no other QB gets a better contract as well.

Whether or not he's affordable only matters if you think he's the guy you can win with. Not just as a spectator with a good defense, but as someone that doesn't have to be hidden, and can be a major reason why the team wins. If you can't win with him it doesn't matter if he makes league minimum, he's just taking up the space of a guy who potentially can. I'm sure Mills and McClellan are pretty affordable too, but that doesn't mean they should be penciled in as long term starters.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Whether or not he's affordable only matters if you think he's the guy you can win with. Not just as a spectator with a good defense, but as someone that doesn't have to be hidden, and can be a major reason why the team wins. If you can't win with him it doesn't matter if he makes league minimum, he's just taking up the space of a guy who potentially can. I'm sure Mills and McClellan are pretty affordable too, but that doesn't mean they should be penciled in as long term starters.

That is the key right there.
Being content with functional squandered a great defense fro 2001-2012.
Now we get to watch the cutler experiment drag on while the offensive weapons age and or leave for greener pastures.
then, we get to live through rookie struggles when Cutler is replaced... which will likely drag on till marshall, bennett, and forte are gone.

Screw the money, it is being locked to a mediocre player who will never be good enough to get the team in contention that is the killer.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

What are you talking about? In FanBoi City, it's the only fucking opinion.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So if we have the 32nd best quarterback in the league, we should be happy as long as he is the 32nd highest paid quarterback?

Monster

Liked Posts:
So if we have the 32nd best quarterback in the league, we should be happy as long as he is the 32nd highest paid quarterback?

I think it would be better to have the lowest paid quarterback and win a super bowl... never mind... Seattle already did that... maybe even twice...

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I think it would be better to have the lowest paid quarterback and win a super bowl... never mind... Seattle already did that... maybe even twice...

... to be fair, they found that guy only after paying laughable amounts of cash to Flynn...

I remember on the other board posting about how absolutely stunned I was at the sheer amount of balls it took for Carroll to sit the 19 million dollar flynn without giving him a single start and give the job to Wilson.

That speaks volumes about why Carroll has been so successful.
There are many other coaches that would likely feel the heat of a FA contract like that and start the big money guy no matter what pre season was like.

Fuck Carroll and the seahawks... but you gotta admire a team that plays talent over paycheck so decisively.