Jaylon Smith: Great News.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dal...-leg-regenerating-helped-playoffs-elite-level

FRISCO -- Dallas Cowboys rookie linebacker Jaylon Smith said Thursday the nerve in his injured leg has started to regenerate and all signs point to him being on the field and participating in offseason practices beginning in May.

Smith, the Cowboys' second-round pick out of Notre Dame, suffered a serious leg injury in his final college game. He was a Top 5 talent who fell to the second round with the likelihood that he wouldn't play his rookie season. Despite no guarantee that Smith's nerve would ever start regenerating, the Cowboys gambled on him anyway.

The Cowboys placed him on the injured reserve list last month, ending his rookie season without ever seeing the field, as the club remained patient waiting for his nerve in his leg to start regenerating. That is happening now, with all signs pointing to him playing in 2017.

"Yeah, it's regenerating," Smith said of his nerve in his left leg. "It's just a thing that you have to have patience. I'm going to continue to do everything I'm asked and controlling what I can control and we're going to take our time with it."

How does Smith know his nerve is regenerating in his leg? Is it because doctors have told him or is it something he's feeling now that he wasn't feeling before?

"Both. Doctors and tests all of that good stuff, feeling," Smith said. "There are things I didn't have before that I'm definitely getting now."

What's that regenerating sensation feel like?

"It feels like it's coming back," Smith said, smiling.

Smith said he's running a 4.5-second 40-yard dash now as most of his speed has returned. He also said his change-of-direction sprinting has been positive.

Smith even says he believes he could have played for the Cowboys in the playoffs.

"I think I could have played and competed at an elite level," Smith said, "but with us coming together and realizing the situation with the nerve coming back, we're going to be patient and trust God's timing."

The focus now for Smith is to improve his motor function, with his body needing to catch up to his nerve starting to fire so that it works in near unison. Right now, Smith's reaction is behind his nerve.

"He's made tremendous progress," Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said Thursday. "It doesn't surprise us one bit."

Smith had surgery early last year to reconstruct his left anterior cruciate ligament and during his recovery dealt with a drop foot condition that has required him to wear a brace. Smith said, however, the brace "is not a limiting factor at all" and if he had played this postseason he could have played with the brace on.

"Me running, now I'm comfortable with the push-off and everything," Smith said, "and I'm getting my linear speed back."

Smith said once his nerve fully regenerates he shouldn't need to wear a brace at all.

"I'm doing great," Smith added. "I wish you guys could see."

Smith has maintained a positive demeanor throughout this long recovery. Cowboys coaches were impressed with how upbeat Smith was from the very first time they met him at the NFL scouting combine.

"I've accepted the reality I won't be playing this year," Smith said. "I've come to terms with it. I understand God has a plan. Just having patience. I've been thankful to be on this team and to watch my guys go out there and ball. I support and learn anyway I can."

If Smith comes back at even 90% of the player he was in college...Dallas..is getting ready to be scary good next year.

Great news though for Smith. Tremendous human being.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Reactions: 1ke

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Zeke, Dak and Smith in the same draft. Wow

Reactions: DC

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dal...-leg-regenerating-helped-playoffs-elite-level

If Smith comes back at even 90% of the player he was in college...Dallas..is getting ready to be scary good next year.

Great news though for Smith. Tremendous human being.

Yep, awesome news indeed. Dallas had a two-fold advantage over every team in the league. Thier team doctor preformed the surgery. Even though the medical reports get released, nobody has a better grasp of the big picture than that specific doctor.

Then there's the Fact that Jerry and his team can take bigger risks on players with questionable injury history or character because nobody's job is on the line. There's no GM to fire when risky picks or FA's don't pan out. It's simply business as usual regardless.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Yep, awesome news indeed. Dallas had a two-fold advantage over every team in the league. Thier team doctor preformed the surgery. Even though the medical reports get released, nobody has a better grasp of the big picture than that specific doctor.

Then there's the Fact that Jerry and his team can take bigger risks on players with questionable injury history or character because nobody's job is on the line. There's no GM to fire when risky picks or FA's don't pan out. It's simply business as usual regardless.
True, but those risky picks don't always work out. Randy Gregory comes to mind.

JDB_219

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Jerry has actually built himself a roster using his IDGAF approach.

1ke

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Bucks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Good for the kid. Hope it heals all the way.

Good for Jerry using a second on him too.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Even crazier? This kid hasn't been honest about this injury for one minute since it happened.

1ke

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Bucks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That's because we really have no clue what the fuck he is talking about.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I've been waiting nearly 11 hours for your response to this, and this is what you give me?

Yeah, no real idea what he's talking about. Smith has barely made any statements about his injury.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Yeah, no real idea what he's talking about. Smith has barely made any statements about his injury.

The good news is that based on his history, after Smith misses his first game after being cleared to play he'll start a thread asking if this can be necro'ed.