jeff samrdzija (extension)

chibears55

Liked Posts:
just wondering if some has changed tune on jeff samardzija and wanting the cubs to show him the money and offer him up a top of rotation type contract extension...

jeff samardzija turned down a 5 yr extension over the off season because he says he wants to prove himself as a full time starter and felt he may be worth more then what the cubs were offering..

after 24 starts 6 W 11 L, samardzija has a 4.23 ERA 1.350 WHIP in just 153 IP

he coming off his worse start of his career going just 3 IP and giving up 9 ERs ( gave up 9 ER in 4 IP 5 starts ago )..
he had a pretty good first half, but has been struggling some the 2nd half..

he under the cubs control for 2 more seasons, i think so far the cubs should stick to their original offer or even consider waiting until he can, as he says prove he can be a consistent top end starter.

he needs to bounce back with some solid QS to end the season before the cubs should consider upping the offer this off season..

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I never wanted to give this guy an extension FWIW. I didn't understand the fascination with a 500 pitcher getting an extension, especially with 2 more seasons of team control.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I never wanted to give this guy an extension FWIW. I didn't understand the fascination with a 500 pitcher getting an extension, especially with 2 more seasons of team control.

I agree .. being that he is just in his 2nd full season as a starter, if im the cubs id stick to what was originally offered until he can be more consistent in his starts from beginning to end.. he has made 52 starts in last 2 yrs, 15 and 24 with an ERA of 4.00.. yea the offense sucks for the most part, but if your suppose to be a top end starter the ERA should be much better, and you should AVG more then 6 IP per start.

patg006

Liked Posts:
just wondering if some has changed tune on jeff samardzija and wanting the cubs to show him the money and offer him up a top of rotation type contract extension...

I'd start at 5 years 85 mil. Even for overrated pitching, pitching is still a premium and will always be overpaid for. I dont see him as an elite top of the line ace, I see him more like a Mark Buherle/CJ Wilson kind of pitcher. Top of the lines for their teams, but not elite.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

That you captain serious?

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Sorry 4.01 ERA :fap:

And a 98 ERA+ in his career tell me he's about a middle of the road pitcher. Sorry, I think the Cubs can do better.

Take out the two outliers and his ERA+ is 97.5. The ol' saying is "you are your record" and for Shark I think his 27-33 record is pretty accurate. Hard-luck losses and bad wins generally even out over the course of a career. He'll be 29 before next season, and I'm wary of giving Shark a long term deal.

Last edited:

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Well I think Jeff said the right things in public at the time about wanting to prove himself as a starter before signing the extension, but he has let it slip this year that he is frustrated with the rebuilding process and seeing quality major league players traded away for lottery tickets.

I think this off-season and the moves made will go a long ways to seeing if he even wants to stay around.

Garza is a much better pitcher and either the team didn't want to pay him market value to extend him or he didn't want to stay around or even both. The very same thing can happen easily with Jeff as well.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd give him the same offer again. Shark isn't an ace, and as fisch has stated, he's a middle of the road pitcher. I wouldn't offer him 80-90 million as it stands now like pat said. Especially since he has 2 more years of team control. Let him pitch and price himself.

sent from my beaver dam using tapatalk 2

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sorry 4.01 ERA :fap:

And a 98 ERA+ in his career tell me he's about a middle of the road pitcher. Sorry, I think the Cubs can do better.

Take out the two outliers and his ERA+ is 97.5. The ol' saying is "you are your record" and for Shark I think his 27-33 record is pretty accurate. Hard-luck losses and bad wins generally even out over the course of a career. He'll be 29 before next season, and I'm wary of giving Shark a long term deal.

That is the question with any extension. Is the player going to be worth what they are paid in terms of production. Samardzija has a pretty wide range of outcomes in the next several years given his unique situation with his age, relative inexperience, stuff and current production. There are solid arguments for holding off an extension given his ability to wait for the big payday of free agency. I am curious to see how Samardzija finishes the season because the trend has not been good since May. Questions about his ability to handle a full season's workload have yet to be answered.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I am curious to see how Samardzija finishes the season because the trend has not been good since May. Questions about his ability to handle a full season's workload have yet to be answered.

that what i want to wait and see too, is how he finishes..
they shut him down early last year at 174 IP ( 1st full yr as a starter ), hiis previous high all as a reliever was 88 IP..
so, being about 20+ IP away from that amount it will be good to see how he handles the extra work load the rest of the year.

id like the know the amount they offered, some suggested it might of been close to the 11 mil per range and he was looking more for 18 mil per which is why he put the offer on hold and wanted to prove hiis worth..

the thing is though, that 5 yrs would of included this year and taken him to 2 extra yrs from which he would of been FA eligable, so not sure if they make another extension offer this year but it will be interesting to see if they keep it at 5 yrs or go down to 4.. guess it will depend on the amount

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, I think of it like this. Yes, he shouldn't be paid like he is an Ace but he also should be low balled either. You are paying for future performance not right now performance. My thing is Shark has incredible and a big time power arm. He has relative low mileage on his arm and has a smooth delivery with a nice built body to withstand the grind. I know he hasn't made the ace turn, but what if he does. Would you be kicking yourself because he wasn't on the Cubs still? Remember, Shark stuff is ace stuff. His mentality is a competitors mentality. Its the little things that need to click. I am not saying they are going to, but if they do you could have a top 5 pitcher in this league. Would you risk that because of some money? Remember, Shark is already a solid pitcher. So, its not like its boom or bust. It would be more of above average that could be incredible. I think the risk is worth the reward if it comes.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, I think of it like this. Yes, he shouldn't be paid like he is an Ace but he also should be low balled either. You are paying for future performance not right now performance. My thing is Shark has incredible and a big time power arm. He has relative low mileage on his arm and has a smooth delivery with a nice built body to withstand the grind. I know he hasn't made the ace turn, but what if he does. Would you be kicking yourself because he wasn't on the Cubs still? Remember, Shark stuff is ace stuff. His mentality is a competitors mentality. Its the little things that need to click. I am not saying they are going to, but if they do you could have a top 5 pitcher in this league. Would you risk that because of some money? Remember, Shark is already a solid pitcher. So, its not like its boom or bust. It would be more of above average that could be incredible. I think the risk is worth the reward if it comes.
Don't disagree but what is the number? Do you pay him 5 years 55 million? 5 years 80 million? 5 years 100 million? At what point is he worth keeping or letting hit the market?

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Well I think Jeff said the right things in public at the time about wanting to prove himself as a starter before signing the extension, but he has let it slip this year that he is frustrated with the rebuilding process and seeing quality major league players traded away for lottery tickets.

I think this off-season and the moves made will go a long ways to seeing if he even wants to stay around.

Garza is a much better pitcher and either the team didn't want to pay him market value to extend him or he didn't want to stay around or even both. The very same thing can happen easily with Jeff as well.

Garza definitely is a much better pitcher, and frankly, I feel more confident with Wood going to the mound than Shark. If they can package him or trade him outright to a team that would possibly let go two top pitching prospects, then by all means pull the trigger.

Sorry to have to keep bringing up the whole prospect thing because their is a need to have BOTH, but I feel that eventually you will strike it big if their is enough talent in the minors (pitching wise) like the many teams around the league that have/had a bounty of arms come through their respective organizations.

Then when an ACE hits the open market or an international pitcher becomes available like Darvish, then damn it, be the high bidder for once. If you want sustained success, you have to develop and buy. Not just develop.

If Theo and his staff are not capable of finding, purchasing, drafting, trading for, or developing arms in this organization, then they don't belong here.

Shark is one avenue to explore at filling the minor league voids, but they have to be willing to spend to get some arms too so they don't have to mortgage the farm. :popcorn:

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
If Theo and his staff are not capable of finding, purchasing, drafting, trading for, or developing arms in this organization, then they don't belong here.

I'm sure in eight to ten more years we can look back and point out one or two. Just be patient. The Cubs are under construction right now. Don't you want to piss in state of the art urinals and watch a heartfelt marriage proposal on the jumbotron ?

A good baseball team is an expense and not of any real importance. Watching losing baseball is something that we are used to overall anyway. I want to watch and hear the cannons go off when The Solar Flare hits a homerun at Wrigley in 2017.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
I'm sure in eight to ten more years we can look back and point out one or two. Just be patient. The Cubs are under construction right now. Don't you want to piss in state of the art urinals and watch a heartfelt marriage proposal on the jumbotron ?

A good baseball team is an expense and not of any real importance. Watching losing baseball is something that we are used to overall anyway. I want to watch and hear the cannons go off when The Solar Flare hits a homerun at Wrigley in 2017.

Knowing the Cubs luck, the cannons will misfire.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
What is Jeff Samardzija worth?

A lot less than Matt Garza who was worth more than the 5/75M rumored to have been offered to Garza.