JF knew by Jan. 8 Bears didn’t want him, Fields was okay being traded to Steelers as a QB2

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Didn’t Wilson have a historical comeback against the Bears while Fields shat the bed the whole 4th qtr?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This makes it sound like the Bear has decided to move on before being certain about who they were drafting as his replacement. CW would have been the obvious front runner but clearly too early for the staff to be certain. They were still 2 weeks away from hiring their OC.

msadows

Liked Posts:
And you really think Pickens would be happy with Fields? Lmaoooo

yes,

Fields cant see the field, but he can throw the ball perfectly fine, probably even better than russ. Kmet and DJ Moore just had career years with him

msadows

Liked Posts:
Didn’t Wilson have a historical comeback against the Bears while Fields shat the bed the whole 4th qtr?

Yea, and then we kept that coach to blow more leads this year :D

We can blame the players all we want but if you blow 3 major leads it goes on coaching. Fluss is terrible at game management, hopefully he's better at it this yeaar

DefNextYear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This makes it sound like the Bear has decided to move on before being certain about who they were drafting as his replacement. CW would have been the obvious front runner but clearly too early for the staff to be certain. They were still 2 weeks away from hiring their OC.
It wouldn't surprise me. I've always thought Waldron quickly choosing Chicago was an indicator that there was likely a change coming. Hard promises probably weren't made, but Waldron was one of the bigger names available and it would otherwise be odd to just hook yourself to a possible lame duck coach for a year. I also don't see a guy like him tying his career to a project at QB. He probably would've been in safer place elsewhere. What do I know though... just me speculating, but I feel reassurances had to be made one way or another. I believe there had to be a lot of discussion about having a role in selecting a new QB for the team in a stacked QB class... that is something that moves the needle. I think the hiring of the whole staff, layered in names and experience, also indicated that they were likely to select a new QB. Whatever though... we'll never know for sure one way or another.

Otherwise, I do think it was pretty interesting Fields says he knew he was being traded and that he indicated he wanted to go to Pitt even before Russ signed there. I'm sure he didn't 100% know, but probably sheds light to the offseason a bit more.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
yes,

Fields cant see the field, but he can throw the ball perfectly fine, probably even better than russ. Kmet and DJ Moore just had career years with him
And how did Mooney fare? You just said he can’t see the field…

anyway who gives a shit, he’s long gone

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Pickens would work well with both of them. He’s at his most dangerous in the deep passing game, and that’s what those 2 do best. Russell might be a personality issue but Fields did help recruit Pickens to UGA before he left for OSU.
Also, the best WR on a team who constantly complains about targets would love Fields because he goes to his first read as often as he does.

Hes not gonna dump it off to Freirmouth(sp) over and over again.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It wouldn't surprise me. I've always thought Waldron quickly choosing Chicago was an indicator that there was likely a change coming. Hard promises probably weren't made, but Waldron was one of the bigger names available and it would otherwise be odd to just hook yourself to a possible lame duck coach for a year. I also don't see a guy like him tying his career to a project at QB. He probably would've been in safer place elsewhere. What do I know though... just me speculating, but I feel reassurances had to be made one way or another. I believe there had to be a lot of discussion about having a role in selecting a new QB for the team in a stacked QB class... that is something that moves the needle. I think the hiring of the whole staff, layered in names and experience, also indicated that they were likely to select a new QB. Whatever though... we'll never know for sure one way or another.

Otherwise, I do think it was pretty interesting Fields says he knew he was being traded and that he indicated he wanted to go to Pitt even before Russ signed there. I'm sure he didn't 100% know, but probably sheds light to the offseason a bit more.
Waldron also had more familiarity with Fields via his coaching collective than anyone on the Bear so while probably not being assured of CW at the hire, knew enough about him to understand he'd be the choice once fully evaluated by the Bear. Like I said, the intent was likely always CW but not given this early in the process.

greg23

Liked Posts:
“Here comes the nut huggers”- a guy who literally cannot keep Fields name out of his mouth, regardless of if the topic is about him or not.
He just needs talent....we want the haul!!!

greg23

Liked Posts:
It's almost as if they watched him start 40 games.

As I've said since last fall....this isn't/wasn't a hard decision.....esp after getting pick 1.1....and even if they didn’t; he still was gone and a new qb was going to be brought in.

The Haulers held out until early March

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Cool. I wanted Drake Maye.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:

gmoney1994

Liked Posts:

Anyone with half a brain knew he was getting traded after the final game of the season with Green Bay. Fields played like absolute trash that game and most of the 4th quarter of any game. There was no way he was coming back as bad as he played last season