John Fox: Bears' 4th quarter runs 'my call'

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
Name one starter on defense besides McPhee that should be starting. If you read what I said, they are playing better than they should. Not that they are playing well. For a defense with little talent and a lot of players running a defense they aren't familiar with they are playing above my expectations. Of course my expectations were a dumpster fire.

Can't disagree with any of what you said based on lack of talent. I just don't see the accomplishment of two wins against shitty teams as impressive.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Would you like to prove that? Article after article spoke about the Lions struggling offense and the o line being the weak link.

None other than Big Cat Williams and Olin Kreutz spoke about how bad the line was in regard the lack of pressure that the Bears front got.

Going into the game yesterday, the Lions had scored 11 TDs in 5 games.

They are ranked LAST in the NFL at 3.4 ypg and average 66.5 YPG game AFTER the game yesterday.

Coming into the game yesterday, the Lions were averaging 48 yards per game rushing and 2.8 ypc through 5 games.

They are regarded league wise as having one of the worst o lines in the NFL. That was a big part of the story coming into the game.

So, no, it is you who needs to stop the stupid.

Context is key when looking at the Rushing numbers. They've had to abandon the run early in games to pass and play catch up. That really wasn't what I was getting at though. As they are a much better pass blocking team. If they had a sense of balance. The pressures obviously come down. It's easy to latch onto an article without context as there articles themselves carry none.

Stafford is averaging 40.4 attempts per game. That is a ton. He's only been sacked 9 times in 200+ attempts and he tends to hold onto the ball too long. As could be witnessed yesterday.

Larry Warford and Riley Reiff are pass blocking studs. Hell, if the prowbowl wasn't a popularity contest, Warford would have gotten the nod over Long the past two years because he's been that damn good.

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
Context is key when looking at the Rushing numbers. They've had to abandon the run early in games to pass and play catch up. That really wasn't what I was getting at though. As they are a much better pass blocking team. If they had a sense of balance. The pressures obviously come down. It's easy to latch onto an article without context as there articles themselves carry none.

Stafford is averaging 40.4 attempts per game. That is a ton. He's only been sacked 9 times in 200+ attempts and he tends to hold onto the ball too long. As could be witnessed yesterday.

Larry Warford and Riley Reiff are pass blocking studs. Hell, if the prowbowl wasn't a popularity contest, Warford would have gotten the nod over Long the past two years because he's been that damn good.

I don't see it that way. You can make that claim about most teams in the NFL - the 'if, then' statements.

The number that should matter most then is YPC. After the game yesterday, Detroit is averaging 3.4 YPC. Good for DEAD LAST in the NFL. They were averaging 2.8 YPC coming into the game. Keep in mind that 40 or so yards was broken play Stafford rush.

So, yes context is key - and while sacks/pressures/hits matter - YPC is usually a better barometer.

The Bears O Line had a bad day yesterday. The Bears averaged 2.9 YPC. Coincidence?

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
I don't see it that way. You can make that claim about most teams in the NFL - the 'if, then' statements.

The number that should matter most then is YPC. After the game yesterday, Detroit is averaging 3.4 YPC. Good for DEAD LAST in the NFL. They were averaging 2.8 YPC coming into the game. Keep in mind that 40 or so yards was broken play Stafford rush.

So, yes context is key - and while sacks/pressures/hits matter - YPC is usually a better barometer.

The Bears O Line had a bad day yesterday. The Bears averaged 2.9 YPC. Coincidence?

I see a clear distinction. One team has Forte and the other is trying to rely on a Rookie with a fumbling problem. In part because there other legitimate back (Bell) is injured.

Gase just happened to do his best Marc Trestman impersonation yesterday with all the very unimaginative and predictable shot gun hand offs. The Lions front 7 clearly did their homework and knew how to diagnose and defend these. Gase never made an adjustment, instead opted to keep pounding a square peg in a round hole.

Up until yesterday the bears running game has been very effective.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I hated the decision but this was a total team loss. Offense couldn't capitalize on a ton of good field position and couldn't convert in the red zone.
The defense started off rough and couldn't get a stop when they needed. Coaching was pretty bad..bears deserved to lose and they did. Moving on to Minnesota...

Their lack of success in the red zone for most of the game, is most likely the biggest reason they settled for the tie in regulation!

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
The 3rd down play call was downright awful. Especially against the Lions defense.

But one bad call does not make or break a career.