1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Multiple sources are telling me John Madden will return to the Hawks next season, likely with a very cap friendly deal.

More on this as it evolves.

A couple of implications.

Madden might have enough left in the tank to fill a third line C role at least part of the year, allowing Dave Bolland to step up into a second line role. Bolland has the talent— it's just that either injury or chemistry has held him back.

It also allows the Hawks to play Marcus Kruger at wing next year, as opposed to putting him into position to fail at C. Kruger will likely play C in a couple of years. In the meantime, this is a kid to watch. Kruger was a bit of a force in the World Cup Final versus the Czechs. He is skinny as a rail at this point but skilled, has vision and is utterly fearless. If/when he puts on some pounds, this kid is going to be an NHL player.

This likely means Ryan Johnson is done as a Hawk, but not necessarily. The Hawks' cap situation calls for players like Johnson, Madden or Jake Dowell to take a cap friendly deal if they want to play in Chicago. And these are all players who bring something in bottom 6 roles.

More later,

JJ

HockeyBuzz.com - John Jaeckel - Madden To Return?

:clap::clap::clap:

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
Meh...I guess if he takes the league minimum it would be ok...does he have a full season left in the tank though?

I know JJ said he could fill the 3rd line role for part of the year, but then what?

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well, this is the way its going to have to be. There will not be anymore Campbell or Hossa type of signings. The Hawks believe that they have the building blocks in place and those blocks are and will eat up most of the cap space. That leaves them with the kids and some older veterans that are interested in making one more Cup run before they call it quits. Most of these vets already have made their financial killing while they were in their prime and would be willing to play at a bargain basement price. The key is signing the right ones. I think Madden would be a good fit....our PK really stunk up the league last year and thats pretty much his specialty.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
john-madden1.jpg

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bolly isn't a #2 center & never will be.

Very good #3 but needs to stay healthy & produce more..

Captain Iago

Giver of Occular Proof
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm ok with bringing Madden back, which probably means the end of Dowell and RJ. If there are questions about Madden having enough in the tank for a full season, than there's gotta be even larger questions about RJ's ability to stay healthy for a full season.

The end of Dowell should equal adding grit on the wings.

Everyday I'm Byfuglien

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd take Mad Dog back.

He seems to be a good locker room (and limo) guy. He shouldn't have left in the first place.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Mad Dog only made 1.2 mil this past season?

Damn, I thought it was more than that.

Everyday I'm Byfuglien

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Mad Dog only made 1.2 mil this past season?

Damn, I thought it was more than that.

He was lookin for more and held out a while before eventually signing with the Wild.

And if anything, a year in Minnesota isn't going to get him any more money this time around.

southern_cross_116

Liked Posts:
Considering that this is the same vague "multiple sources" bs that passes for "journalism" these days- it does actually make a difference exactly who these "sources" are -- is it the guy running the local doughnut shop? Is it some guy at a bar?

I mean really - that guy can stop with the "I got nameless sources" therefore it somehow equates to "credibility" stuff any time now.

Here is what the deal has to be with lower line centericemen as far as it concerns the make up of the 2011-12 Chicago Blackhawks...

What is the makeup of the C position next season? Does the team go out and try to move guys to secure a legit top 6 center while preserving its top 6 wingers (and not have Sharp play out of position (not that he is all that bad at center -but if you got 2 guys on a line halfway decent at faceoffs- then -that is a plus if someone gets tossed from the circle in a defensive zone faceoff -especially at a critical point in a game)?

If so, then what parts get moved? What amount of money do you have left? Frankly Johnson was a pretty good 4th line center- and is exactly the type of guy that you want in that role... Madden, has a little more offensive upside -but isn't getting any younger- plus when he played with the Hawks 2 seasons back you are still talking production in the ballpark of say, 20 -25 points... that really is sort of bonus territory -but not exactly game-winning scoring or even that is much of a role... so it makes a Madden type player a little bit of a luxury.

It also begs the question of - Bolland. Bolland looks to be an ideal 3rd line depth center -who can handle the 2nd line duties... if the team stands pat at center, then in theory you could actually go for both Madden and Johnson with roles on next seasons' team -but frankly, Bolland at third line center would be a much better overall situation for the team -as in terms of depth, you are probably looking at a much deeper team than if Bolland were to be at 2nd line center.

Just my 2 cents.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Maybe it's just me but i'd rather they sign Mike Rupp.

southern_cross_116

Liked Posts:
Rupp's a winger, though isn't he?

And one that logs a lot of PIM -so that might work as a guy taking over the Scott position, but wouldn't have any impact on the Center position other than downgrading it by playing a lower 6 winger out of position.

Don't get me wrong, Joe, I am not saying anything about the guy's ability to play on the team, just that if the discussion is about Center depth, that adding Rupp doesn't do anything for that. If you sign Rupp instead of Johnson or Madden or name another center, you are not actually addressing the depth of the center position, and arguably making it worse by signing a winger to play as a center, which you don't need to do at this point.

I guess, too, what I am getting at, is that it is probably easier for a center to play out of position as a winger (either wing) than it would be to slot in a winger to play center - if mainly because of the faceoff taking part of the center job. Most wingers aren't going to have practiced that. Although ideally you don't want anyone playing out of position if you can help it.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Mike Rupp can play both center & wing.

Plus he'd bring some much needed size at 6'5".

He hits, fights & has some skill to him. Also kills penalties.

He'd be a great addition to a very poor PK this past season.

Last edited:

southern_cross_116

Liked Posts:
What makes a guy a #2 Centre is the depth chart, not wishful thinking about players that aren't on the team - however, my point has never been that I want Bolland as the number 2 centre - but rather, he is it by default at the moment when considering guys playing in their natural positions.

Personally, from what I have read about Rupp, is that if you are looking for an upgrade on John Scott- then he's your man (it'd be a pretty good idea in that sense) -but, he isn't a centre.