Jordan Howard Is The Key

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Was just looking at Howard's game log and noticed that in games where Howard carried the ball more than 18 times the Bears were 3-1. In games Howard had 18 carries or less the Bears were 0-12.

In the Bears 3 wins this season Howard carried the ball 23, 26 and 32 times. The committment to the run game is something I hope to see more of next season no matter who starts at QB. The Bears have a workhorse RB and it is time they use him as such as he helps control the flow of the game and he sets the tone early with his physical running style to the point late in games no one wants to tackle him.

No matter who starts at QB next year they have a valuable weapon in 24 and he will make their life easier.

Alterego

Master Debater
Donator
Liked Posts:
I never understood why they went away from Howard in the 2nd half. The man was constantly breaking off chunks of yardage in the 10+ range.

laputan

Liked Posts:
Howard is a new McLaren, save the miles for later.

506424a0df9f0b30bffb9f3899f961ed.gif

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I never understood why they went away from Howard in the 2nd half. The man was constantly breaking off chunks of yardage in the 10+ range.

I think some of you don't look at a lot of times the reasons that we didn't use him more is cause we were down by a considerable amount of points and they had to throw to not burn the clock or whatever the reason to get back in the game as quick as possible. Every team does it and if you want to win you need to score as quick as possible and you have to throw to do that. Don't get me wrong though cause there were times especially around the goal line that we should of been running but weren't.

Alterego

Master Debater
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think some of you don't look at a lot of times the reasons that we didn't use him more is cause we were down by a considerable amount of points and they had to throw to not burn the clock or whatever the reason to get back in the game as quick as possible. Every team does it and if you want to win you need to score as quick as possible and you have to throw to do that. Don't get me wrong though cause there were times especially around the goal line that we should of been running but weren't.

so would you rather have Barkley throw a pick or Howard break off a 10+ yarder? I understand throwing when we are down but we need to use our talent effectively.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Don't get me wrong though cause there were times especially around the goal line that we should of been running but weren't.

You mean like every snap that Hoyer had us in the redzone?

I would like to see the Bears use a dedicated FB more often. If we go old-school and become a throwback power-running team, we can take advantage of how teams are geared more at stopping passes than shutting down the run.

benplace

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I HATE this stat, and it always get thrown around... When you have a lead in a game, guess what you are going to do? RUN THE BALL When you are trying to catch up because you are losing you need to score quickly and not use the clock so you PASS THE BALL.
Wins/losses is always going to lean this way. Show me one team in the league that had a better win loss ratio when they passed the ball more times in the win column...

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I HATE this stat, and it always get thrown around... When you have a lead in a game, guess what you are going to do? RUN THE BALL When you are trying to catch up because you are losing you need to score quickly and not use the clock so you PASS THE BALL.
Wins/losses is always going to lean this way. Show me one team in the league that had a better win loss ratio when they passed the ball more times in the win column...

Of course. Plus, there are people here that hate Fox so much they think that Howard was not banged up when Fox decided to pull him in the 2nd half. Dummies.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Jordan Howard is definitely the key. He should be a 1500 yard rusher next season. I also think the Bears really need to find a better option behind him too. I'd like the Bears to be a heavy run team and gather some deep threats to go along with a stud TE to work the middle. Even though Howard is a monster, I don't want him getting too banged up. Find another guy who can compliment him and fill in if Howard gets banged up. The running game will be critical next season and should set up the passing game.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Part of it was also preserving him and his career during this lost season. No doubt 19 players to IR had the coaches slightly concerned.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Yeah, and imagine how much better he would have been if they had a pair of good offensive tackles in front of him. Hopefully, next year, they can add at least one good offensive tackle and get a healthy Long back.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
so would you rather have Barkley throw a pick or Howard break off a 10+ yarder? I understand throwing when we are down but we need to use our talent effectively.

Thats correct. The thing that I see is that Howard is able to make himself pretty small at the point of attack by running sort of sideways and once he fits through the crease he has is able to explode through arm tackles. I think that becomes a lot more difficult the closer you get to the goal line so he needs more of a hole. When they lost Long and Sitton, that becomes a long shot to score around the goal line, particularly because Leno is weak at the point of attack of the run and Massie is just average.

Next year, has the potential of being much better although we are still dealing with a below average OC and a HC without a plan.

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:
Was just looking at Howard's game log and noticed that in games where Howard carried the ball more than 18 times the Bears were 3-1. In games Howard had 18 carries or less the Bears were 0-12.

In the Bears 3 wins this season Howard carried the ball 23, 26 and 32 times. The committment to the run game is something I hope to see more of next season no matter who starts at QB. The Bears have a workhorse RB and it is time they use him as such as he helps control the flow of the game and he sets the tone early with his physical running style to the point late in games no one wants to tackle him.

No matter who starts at QB next year they have a valuable weapon in 24 and he will make their life easier.

Jordan Howard isn't the key. "Duh"well Loggains calling Jordan Howard's number is the key . . .

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Assuming causality is super dangerous

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I am fine with Howard not getting a lot of carries in a wasted season. RB shelf lives are short. Not to mention the Bears needed to see what they had in Barkley.

Now next year, if Howard is still being underused then that will be an issue but this year was a glorified preseason.

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am fine with Howard not getting a lot of carries in a wasted season. RB shelf lives are short. Not to mention the Bears needed to see what they had in Barkley.

Now next year, if Howard is still being underused then that will be an issue but this year was a glorified preseason.

Agreed. But remedy 'dis, remydat - with "Vaunted" Vic Fangio constantly playing the scared-to-death defense dictated by the cowardly John Faux, and with said defense repeatedly putting the Bears in 10- and 14-to-zip holes before the cheese dip starts congealing, how are the Bears going to avoid letting stiffs like Brian Hoyer and "Phat" Matt Barclay throw 40 times a game trying to catch up? . . .