Jordan Howard

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
I know it's early. I know that the KC offense doesn't necessarily need to be our offense. I know Nagy ran the ball more than Reid. I also know that Hunt isn't exactly a burner/speed guy.

But,

Do you guys think Jordan Howard will be a scheme fit for Matt Nagy? He's got the vision you would look for, but seems to have limitations in the agility/elusiveness, route running and catching ability that traditional west coast RBs have. He also is more of a volume guy that "gets better as the game goes along" which doesn't translate to a traditional west coast scheme.

Do you think that once he is in the system he will be able to show more pass catching ability? Do you think they will need to use a separate third down back like Cunningham? What do you think?

Visionman

Liked Posts:
If he can't find a way to use Howard effectively, he was a poor choice for a HC.

A good coaching staff needs to be able to fit their scheme to talent, not try to pound square pegs into round holes. And honestly,that's why most NFL coaches fail. They are married to their scheme and way of doing things, and can't adapt.

I hope Nagy is different...

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
I think the one thing I heard about Nagy was he adapts the plays around the talent on the team. Not trying to force the players to adapt to a system that doesn't fit there skill set

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Does KC run a zone blocking scheme?

BearDown1

Liked Posts:
I'm not concerned about Howard either. He definitely needs to focus on pass catching this off season though.

JordanHoward24

Liked Posts:
Make him fit. If Nagy is such a offensive guru then he will find a place for Howard in his offense.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
While he is not a perfect scheme fit, I think in the end Nagy will be good for Howard. The one area he is deficient in is receiving. In a scheme that doesn't emphasize receiving, I don't know that Howard would have the incentive to get better. Now that he is in this scheme, I think Nagy will impress upon him the need to improve his hands and route running.

I don't think Howard will ever become an elite receiver out of the backfield but if he pushes himself, I think he can at least become adequate. If he added that to his game then I think he becomes even more valuable.

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
I hope there are no issues, but I wonder what it will look like. Plugging an RB that can't catch well into a west coast scheme and just doing more inside runs and pass blocking will limit an offense. Y1-2 of a regime is where you build the team the way you want it.

Most likely, Howard will do well in an RPO game, up the gut against spread out defenses, on stretch plays where he can use his vision, etc.... but I wonder if he will be limiting to what that style of offense traditionally does and if someone with more versatility gains a larger share of the workload.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If they would just lift the ban on Stick-um then Howard would be okay in the receiving game. Plus Bellamy would be Jerry Rice.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I like Howard... However, his play is very much one dimensional. He is not a threat to catch a ball and out run the secondary.

I'm sure they will find him a role, but it may actually be a reduced role under the RPO/West Coast model.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Jordan Howard literally gets at least around 2 yards average with 12 man front I mean are you kidding me Jordan Howard will be fine any suggestion that he won't is probably coming from some Bonafide ignoramus. seriously.

LiverpoolBearsFAn

Liked Posts:
Understand the point about system, but I would say that RB is literally the least of our worries in terms of personnel.

We have two fantastic young RBs who can cover everything Nagy could want to do in Howard and Cohen.

pepethebear

Liked Posts:
Howard is a back that would be useful regardless of the scheme. His speed and agility are underrated and he's only going into his 3rd year so there's no reason to think he can't improve parts of his game like pass-catching.

I do however think we are gonna see a hell of a lot more of tarik cohen which will drain potential touches fron Howard

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Howard is a back that would be useful regardless of the scheme. His speed and agility are underrated and he's only going into his 3rd year so there's no reason to think he can't improve parts of his game like pass-catching.

I do however think we are gonna see a hell of a lot more of tarik cohen which will drain potential touches fron Howard

Not a bad thing at all. Cohen will be deadly getting him the ball 9n space more often, and less carries for Howard means less wear and tear and a longer career...

WookieOnRitalin

Liked Posts:
Jordan Howard is a top NFL running back and only 23 years old (6th in yards, 4th in TDs).

If he cannot find a way to make a kid who's that damn good work, then he should be fired.

The only real complaint most fans have about Howard is his pass catching. If JH manages to come into next season with an average ability to catch passes, then the Bears will likely have a dangerous offense next season.

mmkyszka

Liked Posts:
I love Howard and want him on this team.... but hypothetically speaking, if Barkley falls, do we take him and trade Howard for what we can get? I feel like Barkley/Cohen could be somewhat fun to watch with Nagy.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
If an offensive guru can’t use Howard then that guru is no guru period

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Lets not act like J.Howard can't catch the ball at all though cause he does have his share of catches, not many but he's made some catches. The thing is is that some of those drops would have been big catches for us and one which i think was the Atlanta game would of won us the game. Howard will put the work in with the jugs machine and in practice or offseason or whatever and he'll get better.