Jordan, Kobe and Lebron...

Kush77

Liked Posts:
houheffna wrote:
If Kobe beats that Heat trio, he deserves to be considered one of the greatest of the greats.

He should be considered that now. Does anyone dispute that?

Even if he losses to the Heat, which I think they will. Unless the Lakers end up turning Bynum into Chris Paul or something crazy like that.

Shakes

Iconoclast
Liked Posts:
houheffna wrote:
If Kobe beats that Heat trio, he deserves to be considered one of the greatest of the greats.

If the Lakers beat the Heat, it's going to be Gasol & Bynum that have to do it. The Heat's weakness is in the front court, it's up to them to exploit it. I have faith in Gasol, but whether Bynum will be healthy is the big problem for the Lakers.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
If the Lakers beat the Heat, it's going to be Gasol & Bynum that have to do it. The Heat's weakness is in the front court, it's up to them to exploit it. I have faith in Gasol, but whether Bynum will be healthy is the big problem for the Lakers.

If the Lakers beat the Heat, Kobe must show up. That is his responsibility. He is the only player widely considered to be better than Lebron or Wade. Let's not act as if anyone else is more important to that team's success. Gasol is a fantastic player, but Kobe is the straw that stirs that drink.

He should be considered that now. Does anyone dispute that?

Even if he losses to the Heat, which I think they will. Unless the Lakers end up turning Bynum into Chris Paul or something crazy like that.

I agree, Kobe should be considered that now. I think you can put Kobe's skills and abilities against any human being that ever played. I just thought this silences critics for good. Jordan never went up against anything like this during his championship run...and I think this is a formidable task for the Lakers. It shuts up the "Kobe must do this and that" crap that I hear so much. Will be interesting...

Shakes

Iconoclast
Liked Posts:
houheffna wrote:
If the Lakers beat the Heat, Kobe must show up. That is his responsibility. He is the only player widely considered to be better than Lebron or Wade. Let's not act as if anyone else is more important to that team's success. Gasol is a fantastic player, but Kobe is the straw that stirs that drink.

Well obviously you're going to need a huge contribution from Kobe on both ends, I'm not denying that. But he has to get Gasol and Bynum the ball and play off them, you have to be crazy to try to attack Wade and LeBron (both of whom never got called for fouls even before this super team) rather than Haslem and Bosh.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Shakes wrote:
houheffna wrote:

Well obviously you're going to need a huge contribution from Kobe on both ends, I'm not denying that. But he has to get Gasol and Bynum the ball and play off them, you have to be crazy to try to attack Wade and LeBron (both of whom never got called for fouls even before this super team) rather than Haslem and Bosh.
Hmm...I wonder who would end up with more fouls, LeBron and Wade combined, or Kobe. I think LeBron/Wade would end up drawing a heck of a lot more fouls.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:

Kobe is a superior defender so I don't think that he would have a problem playing and excelling on both ends when healthy. But like Jordan in his later years, he has to pick his spots. He can't physically go 100% all of the time...

But they better attack Wade and Lebron...or they won't win. There is no other way to do it...you have to make those guys work.

Also, Jason Whitlock, a very good columnist wrote my sentiments on this subject, and expounds on what can be perceived as Lebron's purpose for leaving...

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/lebron-james-chasing-celebrity-not-championships-070910

Lebron wants to be a billionaire, Kobe wants to be the greatest player who ever lived...old school players like Jordan respect Kobe more because of his ambitions. So do I.

mdot1986

Liked Posts:
houheffna wrote:

Kobe is a superior defender so I don't think that he would have a problem playing and excelling on both ends when healthy. But like Jordan in his later years, he has to pick his spots. He can't physically go 100% all of the time...

But they better attack Wade and Lebron...or they won't win. There is no other way to do it...you have to make those guys work.

Also, Jason Whitlock, a very good columnist wrote my sentiments on this subject, and expounds on what can be perceived as Lebron's purpose for leaving...

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/lebron-james-chasing-celebrity-not-championships-070910

Lebron wants to be a billionaire, Kobe wants to be the greatest player who ever lived...old school players like Jordan respect Kobe more because of his ambitions. So do I.

Agreed. Kobe seems to have more respect for the game and a will to win. Lebron seems like he feels entitled to win. The way he is going about it almost makes him seem like he's selling himself short. What if they don't win more than one championship in Miami? His legacy takes a major hit!

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
."

Gilbert denied that he gave across-the-board privileges to James or his friends. He admitted the team would allow James to review the travel itinerary, and that the Cavs would alter their plans -- staying an extra night in New York, for instance -- as he wished. Gilbert said they had begun to cut back on those allowances in the last year, though it's hard to know how they could have done so while they were trying to recruit James to re-sign in Cleveland.

"Family members were getting a couple of suite passes, it was that kind of thing -- but we did those things for all of the players," Gilbert said. "He really never did ask and go above and beyond for material things. We were 'enabling' -- not on that stuff -- but probably just on how he conducted himself and the respect level.

"I wish I'd brought the hammer out on that stuff earlier. Returning people's text messages -- whether it was the p.r. people or my own. Overall, he showed up to the key things, he was never late to practice. But in certain meetings he was kind of like the kid in the classroom looking at his BlackBerry."

Gilbert acknowledged that he was unable to reach James in the weeks before he left for Miami. He looks back on it and realizes as a new NBA owner that he didn't appreciate the need to establish firm guidelines from the beginning in his relationship with James.

"I asked [Bulls owner] Jerry Reinsdorf, 'Did certain things happen with Michael [Jordan]? Did he not return your calls?' " Gilbert said. "He said, 'No, that would never happen, never.' I did hear this was very unusual,'' Gilbert said of his inability to communicate with James

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/ian_thomsen/07/12/dan.gilbert/index.html#ixzz0tfFM7BRN

As time passes, more info will come out...but this supports the point I was trying to make, he is not totally dedicated to being the greatest ever. It is not a concern of his. In the article, Thomsen says that many NBA players feel the same way...

And if you don't think Jordan was taking a subliminal shot at Lebron...you are not paying attention...

TheStig

Liked Posts:

I'm starting to agree, it seems as Bron is just getting more and more immature as time goes on. A couple of years ago I wouldn't have agreed.