Jorge Soler

CSF77

Liked Posts:
He is pretty comparable to Nick. 121 vs 129 wRC+ -7 vs -8 DRS and -3.9 vs -10.4 UZR150

Nick 1st Jorge 2nd. So you gain some HR power vs a better over all hitter.

Nick .291/.340/.521
Jorge .255/.347/.545

Most of Soler's value is tied up into those 40 bombs.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
He is pretty comparable to Nick. 121 vs 129 wRC+ -7 vs -8 DRS and -3.9 vs -10.4 UZR150

Nick 1st Jorge 2nd. So you gain some HR power vs a better over all hitter.

Nick .291/.340/.521
Jorge .255/.347/.545

Most of Soler's value is tied up into those 40 bombs.

Yes but the argument people were making earlier was Soler was comparable to Schwarber, not really. Soler clearly the better offensive player right now.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes but the argument people were making earlier was Soler was comparable to Schwarber, not really. Soler clearly the better offensive player right now.
You keep ignoring his splits of when he plays in the field or when he DH's. Its quite funny

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Right now?

2nd half
Schwarber 146 wRC+ 15 HR .255/.348/.638
Soler: 171 wRC+ 17 HR .286/.418/.643

Yes but not as much as you are making it out to be.

Schwarber: 1.6 WAR
Soler: 2.5 WAR.

So right now yes. But IMO it would be closer if Joe would have left him alone and not lead off with him. He is just like Heyward in that respect.

The biggest hit on Schwarber is adding weight he lost value in D. Last year he was worth 4.3 Def. This year -5.9. That counts against his WAR value. Last year he put up 3.2 WAR 10.4 from O 4.3 from D. So weight management should be a priority going into next year.

Another issue is his BB rate. last year 15.3 this year 11.7. BABIP. unlucky this year .250. That is worst than his .288 last year. year before was a .244 had 30 HR's and a 1.7 WAR.

So I'm taking this as Schwarber still has room for improvement. He has lowered his SO rate 30.9%-27.5-25.1% Right now I believe he is getting to 20%. 11-12% BB rate is fine at that point but he has to be driving to the gaps more with the increased contact rate.

So he is not a finished product right now.

Last edited:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Just as a comp.

Nick's 2nd half
.305/.337/.609 138 wRC+ 14 HR
Schwarber has put up more value over that span. He didn't suffer as a lead off Kyle might be at 40 HR's also.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Schwarber might be up with the leaders at 45 if he would get to play everyday and stay in the games instead of getting pulled after grand slams.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
it took you 5 pages to realize one is a surefire 3.5 war player when he is healthy once every 5 years, and the other may have weight issues going forward.

How about build your team around neither?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
it took you 5 pages to realize one is a surefire 3.5 war player when he is healthy once every 5 years, and the other may have weight issues going forward.

How about build your team around neither?

I accually like this.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
This thread is funny though. Soler was a constant injury case and Schwarber was impactful in a WS win.

At that moment it made sense to do what they did.

This thread is a Troll delight of 20/20 naysay nonsense. And told you so when no one gave a shit on the trade. No one gave a shit after that year was over.

Now 2 years removed the Trolls come out of their Caves to bang their clubs around acting like they might have a ounce of intellengence in their rhythmic drumbeat of nonsense.

Congrats for dumbing down the fan base with your chants of non sense about a failed project that finally got off the DL to play a few games that don't matter in a division that he can kick his feet up all day long except the 4 times he gets off of his ass.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
This thread is funny though. Soler was a constant injury case and Schwarber was impactful in a WS win.

At that moment it made sense to do what they did.

This thread is a Troll delight of 20/20 naysay nonsense. And told you so when no one gave a shit on the trade. No one gave a shit after that year was over.

Now 2 years removed the Trolls come out of their Caves to bang their clubs around acting like they might have a ounce of intellengence in their rhythmic drumbeat of nonsense.

Congrats for dumbing down the fan base with your chants of non sense about a failed project that finally got off the DL to play a few games that don't matter in a division that he can kick his feet up all day long except the 4 times he gets off of his ass.

Yeah, it is funny how its ok for you to you just put guys at positions to make them fit in your fantasy lineups.

Mike or Giancarlo Stanton can play first base for the yankees. He has been in the league since 2010 and has not appeared for one play of one game at first base. But you are not part of dumbing down the fan base.

Keep telling yourself how smart you are.

Maybe what people seem to forget was the plan after caving with Fowler and signing Heyward was to platoon Soler and Schwarber in left field. After all, they were both signed or drafted as prototypical DH's.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Mike or Giancarlo Stanton can play first base for the yankees. He has been in the league since 2010 and has not appeared for one play of one game at first base. But you are not part of dumbing down the fan base.

What, when and who said I ever mentioned a Yankee issue much less a specific scenerio like this.

All I talk about are the Cubs and the current Cubs roster. Not ex-Cubs and pining over what a player does years removed.

Shit might as well jump on the Rich Hill bandwagon then.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
But here is my take on this subject. He will opt out of his contract and go into arb to bleed the Royals for that season. If he keeps it up cool. But he will opt out and look to be paid.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
That's right, just imagine 20 years from now when the Soler trade is compared to the infamous Lou Brock trade. :jonesy:

Only reason they can argue is 2017 didn't net another ring. I was more upset with Eloy and Cease. Both were unknowns. Soler was already a known DL issue. And he has been until this year.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
What, when and who said I ever mentioned a Yankee issue much less a specific scenerio like this.

All I talk about are the Cubs and the current Cubs roster. Not ex-Cubs and pining over what a player does years removed.

Shit might as well jump on the Rich Hill bandwagon then.
But, A guy that I would target this off season is Didi Gregorius.

Yankees are currently getting:

WAR
3B Urshela 3.0
SS Torres 3.0
2B LeMahieu 4.6
1B Voit 1.6

Stanton returning who can play 1B.
Ellsbury getting 22Mil and they can DH with.

They even have a opt on Encarnacion but that is over kill IMO.

But they could push Baez back to 2B and have Didi at SS. Or vice versa.

Now I really don't see him as a lead off. Lets get that out of the way first. Career .315 OBA. No. But he is a 20 HR bat that puts the ball into play. So IMO the Yanks are not going to retain with the roster in place. They have better options in house.

I was thinking more so leading off with Rizzo and using Didi, Heyward and Schwarber to split up the RH.

Say they targeted him and Castellanos. I'm guessing it would be a 35 mil hit next year. Cubs have a 133M fixed going in.

Rizzo has a opt {$14.5M club option} with Q {$10.5M club option} . You pick up both. Phelps {$1M club option} you drop with Morrow{$12M vesting option ($3M buyout) } and Derek Holland {$7M club option ($0.5M buyout)} Daniel Descalso {$3.5M club option ($1M buyout)}

Basically they need to reduce overhead to retain Baez and Bryant long term.

So I would approach the team as
Rizzo 1B
Castellanos RF
Didi SS/2B
Bryant 3B
Schwarber LF
Baez 2B/SS
Heyward CF
Contreras C

Bench Happ, Caratini, Bote and they should look for another LH bat for a role player.

On the pitching side they have Chatwood and he has pretty much proved that he is capable for going back to the rotation. So they really have to do nothing here.

Pen they need a 8th inning primary arm. I would rather trade for one myself. Dellin Betances would be the prime mover in F/A.

I am really surprised you did not go back to change it.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Can this Forum get any more stupid?

Let's argue about ex-Cubs.....hmmm, should we keep the guy that almost never gets hurt and can play both OF and emergency catcher or keep the guy that gets hurt taking batting practice and can only stay healthy if he DH's?

Wow....tough decision.

NOW....if you want to talk about ex-Cubs that turned into players and were moved for virtually nothing.....let's argue about the DL LeMahieu and Tyler Colvin for useless Ian Stewart. Now that IS borderline Brock-Broglio stuff.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Can this Forum get any more stupid?

Let's argue about ex-Cubs.....hmmm, should we keep the guy that almost never gets hurt and can play both OF and emergency catcher or keep the guy that gets hurt taking batting practice and can only stay healthy if he DH's?

Wow....tough decision.

NOW....if you want to talk about ex-Cubs that turned into players and were moved for virtually nothing.....let's argue about the DL LeMahieu and Tyler Colvin for useless Ian Stewart. Now that IS borderline Brock-Broglio stuff.

Best trade to date was Arrieta and Strop. Worst might be this one. War value is very lopsided on the returns. Wade Davis had 1.1 WAR in 2017. So they got value on the return.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
We traded a guy who at the time couldn't stay healthy to save his life and had not lived up to expectations when healthy for a solid closer in a year we were gunning for it. Looking at Soler now do I think he's putting up the numbers he is in the NL? No.