Jose Reyes: Why the Chicago Cubs Should Be Bidders This Winter

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I actually think you keep Reyes at SS and move Castro to 3B. Reyes thus far has been the defensively superior SS, and you don't want to marginalize Castro's arm by moving him to 2B.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Castro has a better arm that I thought... He has shown it as of late. I love to see it.

herky

Liked Posts:
getting Reyes would be a nice get but instead of moving Castro to 2b or CF just slide him over to 3b. The kid is talented and if he worked all winter long on his feet for 3b he could play it. Reyes would be the leadoff guy that we need and more speed to. ANd I wouldn't mind bring Pena back if he could produce like he has been.

Reyes
Barney
Castro
Pena
Byrd
Colvin
Soriano
Soto

Like the top half but it all would come down to the middle of the order and of course styaing healthy.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
getting Reyes would be a nice get but instead of moving Castro to 2b or CF just slide him over to 3b. The kid is talented and if he worked all winter long on his feet for 3b he could play it. Reyes would be the leadoff guy that we need and more speed to. ANd I wouldn't mind bring Pena back if he could produce like he has been.

Reyes
Barney
Castro
Pena
Byrd
Colvin
Soriano
Soto

Like the top half but it all would come down to the middle of the order and of course styaing healthy.
That lineup really wouldn't be that great. Having Barney bat 2nd again next year should be avoided at all costs. Also that lineup would be so devoid of power. That lineup is also really missing middle fo the order hitters, and we would be stuck tryuing to force Castro to be a 3 hole hitter again next season. I would much rather see Reyes replacing Barney in the lineup than I would replacing Ramirez.

EnjoyYourTiger

That weird bear thing.
Donator
Liked Posts:
That lineup really wouldn't be that great. Having Barney bat 2nd again next year should be avoided at all costs. Also that lineup would be so devoid of power. That lineup is also really missing middle fo the order hitters, and we would be stuck tryuing to force Castro to be a 3 hole hitter again next season. I would much rather see Reyes replacing Barney in the lineup than I would replacing Ramirez.

Agreed. We'd almost need Fielder or Pujols (or another proven power hitter) in the four hole to make that lineup work.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Agreed. We'd almost need Fielder or Pujols (or another proven power hitter) in the four hole to make that lineup work.

Is it just me that doesn't want a guy with .600 OPS getting the second most plate appearances on the team?

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is it just me that doesn't want a guy with .600 OPS getting the second most plate appearances on the team?

Nope, not just you. But since neither you nor I are manager...

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nope, not just you. But since neither you nor I are manager...

Which is my concern that the present FO and on field management feel that Barney is a long term solution at 2B instead of a pleasant surprise that should looked to be upgraded. I guess I wouldn't have a problem if by going with Barney at 2B meant that you could get two impact bats via free agency, but I doubt that would be the case. I really am unsure that they will be able to land one. It is fun to dream of a lineup with Reyes, Castro, Fielder starting every game off for the Cubs though.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Say we got both Reyes and Fielder, which we won't, I think this should be the line-up:
CF Jackson
SS Castro
3B Reyes
1B Fielder
LF Soriano
RF Colvin (?)
C Soto or Castillo
P Cashner :)))
2B Barney

Basically, it sucks. If we get Fielder and Reyes, we'll have no A-Ram money, so I just put Reyes at 3rd, and kept Castro at his position. I threw Barney in at 2nd, but batting 9th. I made Cashner the pitcher just because. Don't know about Colvin, but threw him in too. If we trade Geo it's Castillo, and then we have a bunch of youngsters in a row starting with Colvin batting 6th, then Castillo, Cashner, Barney, Jackson, and Castro.

Jackson K's a lot but has an OBP around .400 in AA and that's after his average went down from .300 to .268 (low was .259 IIRC) due to injury.

Our top 3 will all be hitting .300 or higher depending on how Jackson acclimates to the majors this year.