Justin Fields college comparisons.....Watson? McNabb? Culpepper? Vince Young? Trubi.....(ducks and hides LOL)

cdubz11

Liked Posts:
seriously kidding on the Trubisky thing. Fields is a far superior QB and so much more polished and in control. also did it at highest level and in title games vs Alabama and Clemson, defenses filled with NFL guys and best coaches scheming against him.

similar thing i notice with Fields is he is not quick to tuck and run. by that i mean he prefers throwing. i would bet a lot of money we will be begging him to just take off and run more. it might have been the biggest reason Georgia didn't work out, because they wanted Fields to really be a dual threat QB, maybe continuing to split time with Fromm. Fields wanted to be a legit pocket passer and knew he was just as good from pocket as he is running, so off to OSU he went to prove it. and he did.

i played some QB back in the day, so one thing i look at and think about is hand size. Fields is just barely in the "acceptable" range for what you'd think a great QB hand size is. i mean it's kinda dumb like just watch the video and what he's done, who cares measurements it doesn't matter. i get that. but hand size does matter for ball security, and also i think helps in windy conditions a lot more. his hand size 9 1/8" is comparable to Goff, Alex Smith, Eli Manning, Joe Burrow.

who do you think his best comparison is?

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Henry Burriss. / end thread

Nelly

Liked Posts:
PSA:

It is OK to make player comparisons between quarterbacks who have different skin colors.
Was thinking the same thing. Josh Allen seems like a good comp, although Fields has a better pedigree coming out (and more speed). Allen put up a 107 passer rating last year with nearly 70% completions, 4,500 yards, 37 TDs with 7.9 yards per attempt... in the cold weather. I'll take from Fields all day.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
PSA:

It is OK to make player comparisons between quarterbacks who have different skin colors.

To be fair, there's not a lot of white QBs that fit Fields' profile. Guys like Brady, Rivers, Daniel Jones, Roethlisberger, and Wentz are all 6'5". Even the athletic white QBs aren't really similar to Fields. Josh Allen is also 6'5". Baker Mayfield is like 6'1". Comparing Fields to a white guy that isn't mobile is a disservice to his athletic ability.

Physically, Id say Fields is probably most similar to Dak Prescott. Dak is probably a little thicker/heavier. Fields is a good bit faster in a straight line. Style-wise, I think Fields' game is most similar to Deshaun Watson, but he's significantly bigger/heavier. Speed and arm strength are very similar IMO.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Different era obviously, but Steve Young. He was not a great athlete by today's QB standards but he was in the 90s.

cdubz11

Liked Posts:
PSA:

yea i noticed same with every nfl analyst comparing him to only black QBs....but it's cause he can run a 4.4 and there isn't a white QB who can do that lol. so it's kind of a impossible situation to say don't compare a really athletic black QB to only other black QBs. i heard some Josh Allen comps, but i feel like that is just to mention a white QB i mean Allen is 6'5 and mobile but not anywhere close to 4.4 speed. Allen is more like Roethlisberger.

so yea just stop trying to start some racist shit go find a reddit thread to fulfill your need to discuss race.

cdubz11

Liked Posts:
Different era obviously, but Steve Young. He was not a great athlete by today's QB standards but he was in the 90s.

Steve Young himself would laugh his ass of if you told him this. he was a crafty magician in the pocket and could run better than most back then. he was not in same universe as Fields athletically or arm strength wise.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Steve Young himself would laugh his ass of if you told him this. he was a crafty magician in the pocket and could run better than most back then. he was not in same universe as Fields athletically or arm strength wise.
No quarterbacks were. Hence the 'different era obviously.' He had a very good arm and was among the best 5-7 QB athletes at the time, at least when he was younger. Dude did take a beating.

Fields has very good arm strength but it's not in the Mahomes/Allen category.

cdubz11

Liked Posts:
To be fair, there's not a lot of white QBs that fit Fields' profile. Guys like Brady, Rivers, Daniel Jones, Roethlisberger, and Wentz are all 6'5". Even the athletic white QBs aren't really similar to Fields. Josh Allen is also 6'5". Baker Mayfield is like 6'1". Comparing Fields to a white guy that isn't mobile is a disservice to his athletic ability.

Physically, Id say Fields is probably most similar to Dak Prescott. Dak is probably a little thicker/heavier. Fields is a good bit faster in a straight line. Style-wise, I think Fields' game is most similar to Deshaun Watson, but he's significantly bigger/heavier. Speed and arm strength are very similar IMO.

i agree Dak is a decent comparison. cause Fields doesn't use that 4.4 speed much hoenstly. bigger thing for a QB is how well can you move in the pocket, how quick are you more so than how fast are you. so i think what some teams were evaluating with Fields is ok he doesn't really want to run much, so take away that aspect and the 4.4 40yd.....then you're only evaluating him as a pocket passer. where then you could see a team liking some of the other guys just as much or better. but to me just watching tape i see the 2nd most talented passer in the draft behind Lawrence and part of that is because he uses his athleticism in the pocket and does not need much space to launch a missile downfield. lots of throws kind of moving to the side or flat footed and he's still putting on target.

cdubz11

Liked Posts:
He has a Cutler throwing motion
Watson mobility
Rodgers touch
Brady’s accuracy
Josh Allen arm strength

I can’t think of a just ONE caparison in NFL history that matches his skill set.

lol modest. the exciting thing is, he has aspects of all those and nobody can deny it.

cafawip138

Liked Posts:
seriously kidding on the Trubisky thing. Fields is a far superior QB and so much more polished and in control. also did it at highest level and in title games vs Alabama and Clemson, defenses filled with NFL guys and best coaches scheming against him.

similar thing i notice with Fields is he is not quick to tuck and run. by that i mean he prefers throwing. i would bet a lot of money we will be begging him to just take off and run more. it might have been the biggest reason Georgia didn't work out, because they wanted Fields to really be a dual threat QB, maybe continuing to split time with Fromm. Fields wanted to be a legit pocket passer and knew he was just as good from pocket as he is running, so off to OSU he went to prove it. and he did.

i played some QB back in the day, so one thing i look at and think about is hand size. Fields is just barely in the "acceptable" range for what you'd think a great QB hand size is. i mean it's kinda dumb like just watch the video and what he's done, who cares measurements it doesn't matter. i get that. but hand size does matter for ball security, and also i think helps in windy conditions a lot more. his hand size 9 1/8" is comparable to Goff, Alex Smith, Eli Manning, Joe Burrow.

who do you think his best comparison is?
Fields didn’t run much in college because Ohio State had no QB depth behind him and didn’t want him to get injured. They were able to easily win most of their games without him running, so it wasn’t worth the risk. Basically, they’d let him run just enough to force other teams to account for him as a runner, but they never made it a big part of the offense. If the Bears decide to let him cut loose as a runner, he’s going to obliterate his college rushing stats.

Closest comparison in terms of his physical toolset is Lamar Jackson, without a doubt. Not quite as fast or elusive (though he’s close), but a bigger and more powerful runner. Comparable arm talent, and similar question marks regarding throwing mechanics and ability to read defenses that caused Jackson to slip in the 2018 draft. If the Bears build their offense around his strengths the same way the Ravens did with Jackson, Fields will be a perennial MVP candidate.

Tell you what, since my Bengals are still a year or two away, I may have to be a Bears fan on the side this year, it’ll be so fun to watch Ohio State quarterback finally have success in the NFL!

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Watson mobility
Rodgers touch
Brady’s accuracy
Josh Allen arm strength

I can’t think of a just ONE caparison in NFL history that matches his skill set.

LOL

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
i agree Dak is a decent comparison. cause Fields doesn't use that 4.4 speed much hoenstly. bigger thing for a QB is how well can you move in the pocket, how quick are you more so than how fast are you. so i think what some teams were evaluating with Fields is ok he doesn't really want to run much, so take away that aspect and the 4.4 40yd.....then you're only evaluating him as a pocket passer. where then you could see a team liking some of the other guys just as much or better. but to me just watching tape i see the 2nd most talented passer in the draft behind Lawrence and part of that is because he uses his athleticism in the pocket and does not need much space to launch a missile downfield. lots of throws kind of moving to the side or flat footed and he's still putting on target.

I watched every Fields throw and run from the 2020 season on Youtube today. And I know you're a fan, so it's cool that we came away with a similar impression of him. I came away thinking he could definitely use his legs as more of a weapon. I also came away kind of not as impressed with his arm as i thought I would be, but more impressed by everything else. Now, he has a great arm. I don't think it's close to Josh Allen (as mentioned above). He can throw plenty far (maybe as far as anyone in the league), but he doesn't have that crazy velocity. What he has is impeccable touch. I don't know the last time I've seen his level of accuracy in the college game. It's deep accuracy, outside the number accuracy, can throw the back shoulder, crossing routes hitting guys in stride.....he just consistently puts the ball wherever he wants it. In the 1st 3 games this year, he had 11 incomplete passes out of 83 throws. 3 were drops, 2 were throwaways, and I counted 3 checkdowns and 2 screens, it's not like he was making easy throws all day or playing D3 teams, that included Penn State.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Watson mobility
Rodgers touch
Brady’s accuracy
Josh Allen arm strength

Smarts?

jtreal3

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Watson mobility
Rodgers touch
Brady’s accuracy
Josh Allen arm strength

Holy shit...Super bowl Champs every fuckin year