Kane County

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
That is only partially true. Only looking at ticket sales neglects the revenue also brought in by parking, concessions, and souvenir sales. Those are likely going to be more than the ticket price for a person attending a game.

What parking?? Most of the parking around the ballpark is not parking controlled by the Cubs. So they aren't getting most of the parking money anyways. The lots that the Cubs do get the money from are likely already full, so there would not be any increased revenue.

As far as concessions and souvenir sales, sure that would increase revenue but does not increase the profit as much as the ticket sales do cause there is a cost to the concessions and souvenirs. The cost of the seat is the same regardless if the ticket is sold or not, so selling the ticket is all gain to profit.

Also with the concessions and souvenir sales you would have to have an exact increase in the purchasing to match the sales to maximize the profit. You over buy and have concessions and souvenirs go to waste, that takes away from the increase in sales. It isn't just as automatic as you think. Probably still results in a net gain to profits, but not as much as you are thinking.

It would change the numbers slightly, but I would say until the Cubs start consistently drawing fewer than 2.5M fans, the team can make more money with a losing team than a team with a payroll of $135M+

Add that isn't counting the reported $30M or so in revenue from the Jumbotron.

Cubs2008

Liked Posts:
First 2 years he had sucked. He came out this year looking like a top prospect. Now he is sliding back again. Was just musing why. Off season training most likely and now his body is regressing from the grind or the league is caught onto a weakness. Not sure to be honest.

What are you talking about? In year 1 he had 32 AB's. In year two he had 10 HRs and 37 RBIs with a .342 OBP in only 237 PAs. All a very small sample. All in all, it looks like he's getting better and his numbers look good.

whitesoxman77

Jr. White Sox GM
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lel

Sent from my Gopher hole using Tapatalk

CSF77

Liked Posts:
What are you talking about? In year 1 he had 32 AB's. In year two he had 10 HRs and 37 RBIs with a .342 OBP in only 237 PAs. All a very small sample. All in all, it looks like he's getting better and his numbers look good.

2011....188/.257/.344 32 AB 0 HR
2012....250/.342/.447 208 AB 10 HR
Apr13...370/.457/.642 81 AB 5 HR
May13...205/.320/.350/ 88 AB 7 HR

Like I said he had 1 good month in a non prospect career so far. That is why is is not in the top 20 Cub prospects. That is why he is not a top 100 prospect.

Oh don't use RBI's. Really weak stat in production. It depends on others being on base. Not a good measuring stick. RS either. OBA only matters for top of the order. SLG or OPS holds more weight for middle of the order production.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Looks like they both are slipping this month.

Dan Vogelbach:
2011 .292/.370/.542 24 AB
2012 .322/.410/.641 245 AB
2013 Apr: .315/.354/.494
2013 May .255/.348/.347

CSF77

Liked Posts:
100% Incorrect.

If the cost of fielding that consistently winning team is greater than the increase in revenues, then the winning team can make less money. This has been explained to you several times but you have repeatedly displayed that is too complex a concept for you to grasp.

If it takes $150M payroll to field a consistently winning team, that is an increase of payroll by around $45M.

At an average ticket cost of say $46.30 (the average ticket price last year), the team would have to sell approximately 972,000 more tickets to equal that $45M in payroll.

The most fans the Cubs have drawn is 3.3M in 2008.

They drew 2.8M last year and are on pace to draw 2.7M this year.

So as long as the team continues to draw greater 2.3M fans a year, the team can actually make more money than a winning team with a $150M payroll.

Even attendance of 2.6M would result in more profit over a $135M payroll and 3.3M tickets sold.

They would have to increase the cost per seat and increase prices on concessions to compensate.

So winning means higher payroll which goes back on the consumer to pay for.

Makes sense if you want a winner pay for it.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Oh don't use RBI's. Really weak stat in production. It depends on others being on base. Not a good measuring stick. RS either. OBA only matters for top of the order. SLG or OPS holds more weight for middle of the order production.

I disagree with ignoring RBI and Runs produced,,especially if were talking about a middle of the order guy cause his job is to drive in runs ..

when those guys at the top gets on, someone needs to be driving them in.. im suure if he wasnt people would be harping on that too..

the kid struggled out of the gate but got it going at the end of april against miami and SD to where he raised his AVG. 90 PTs in a 19 games stretch, then he went 0fer against the pirates and ended up on a 5 game hitless streak that dropped his AVG by 33 poinnts.. he picked it up 10 points in his last 2 games..
SO, hopefully he gets it going against the sox and stays on track..
good thing were seeing is besides that 5 games stretch where he struck out 8 times, he making contact..

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I disagree with ignoring RBI and Runs produced,,especially if were talking about a middle of the order guy cause his job is to drive in runs ..

So you are arguing clutch values? To be honest is is hard to find full stats on A ball players.

But RBI are co-dependent on others around you.

On that team right now:
#2 Almora .571/.625/.810 R/S 6
#3 Vogle: .291/.359/.429 R/S: 21 28 RBI
#4 Candelario .254/.347/.364 R/S: 24 16 RBI
#5 Shoulders .289/.389/.566 R/S: 33 34 RBI

With this line up Vogelbach should be getting a boost in potential RBI's. Candi has sucked this year so Shoulders has to feed off scraps left behind.

If anything. Putting a non productive Candi in the 4 hole has led to more RBI opportunities for Shoulder.

So RBI's are more line up synergies.

I'be believed that a #1 hitter needs to an OBA type first. If he has some speed also that is bonus.
#2 needs to have a good OBA also but goes deeper into counts.
#3 needs to have the highest OPS on the team.
#4 best pure slugger. OBA is lesser concern
#5 2nd best pure slugger. as above.

In general a line up built like this should see RBI's as a result of having good OBA/SLG and the manager placing each hitter where they will get the highest results.

So with this team:

Right now:

#1: Darvill .429 OBA 2B
#2 Almora .625 OBA CF
#3 Shoulders .955 OPS DH
#4 Contreras .460 SLG (Shoulders is better) C
#5 Vogelbach .429 SLG 1B

After this point it would be based off of D over hitting.

Even then Candi has a .364 SLG and he is hitting #4.

That is called development taking priority over winning.

"They" believe there is talent in these players...Candi/Almora/Vogel so they are getting more AB's.

Cubs2008

Liked Posts:
2011....188/.257/.344 32 AB 0 HR
2012....250/.342/.447 208 AB 10 HR
Apr13...370/.457/.642 81 AB 5 HR
May13...205/.320/.350/ 88 AB 7 HR

Like I said he had 1 good month in a non prospect career so far. That is why is is not in the top 20 Cub prospects. That is why he is not a top 100 prospect.

I disagree. 10 HRs and a .342 OBP is a good year with 200 ABs. I like guys that can work a count and get in base.

You can't ignore RBIs. Yes it's imperfect, but it is a piece if the puzzle. Look at the Cubs. We don't have anyone that drives anyone in when guys are on base.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
So you are arguing clutch values? To be honest is is hard to find full stats on A ball players

my response was about rizzo, i apologize if you were talking about volgelbach..

But RBI are co-dependent on others around you.

I agree .. but your 3-4-5 hitters are being paid to drive those guys in, not hit solo shots, have a high AVG. or get on base..

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:

I agree .. but your 3-4-5 hitters are being paid to drive those guys in, not hit solo shots, have a high AVG. or get on base..

Please stop hijacking threads.

This thread is about Kane County.

Not Anthony Rizzo or what the middle of the order hitters are being paid to do.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

That is why the #1-3 hitters have to have good OBA. 3-5 good SLG. That is why the #3 hitter is concidered the best on the team. Has to do both. Nd 2008 again I don't put too much into player A hits better in X situation. Just get me players that produce in general. RBI's will result. Shoot 2008 Cubs just flat out raked in general because they were built right and they generated runs like an AL team.