Kevin Toliver & Amukamara

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
They probably aren't going to draft two OTs early. They have lots of guaranteed $ tied in up in the two they already have. OLB depends on Floyd, I'd guess no. WR perhaps but only because this is a great WR draft.

I'm guess a big investment at G in free agency. Lots of solid guards this year and it's not usually a high price position. RG is a spot they absolutely must upgrade.
Probably only one OT in the 2nd... but 2020 is the last contract year for both Leno and Massie, and we don't have any rookie contract players to replace them. The OTs might as well compete or sit a year anyway, right? Hopefully they can start 2021 or sooner.

If two OTs are the BPAs for the two 2nd Rds, why not? You can't get great OTs in FA.

OLB -- basically we need two decent OLBs in FA, Floyd might be one (option or whatever). We don't have a good rookie contract OLB. Floyd or not, if BPA is OLB, why not?

Last edited:

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Probably on one OT in the 2nd... but 2020 is the last contract year for both Leno and Massie, and we don't have any rookie contract players to replace them. The OTs might as well compete or sit a year anyway, right? Hopefully they can start 2021 or sooner.

If two OTs are the BPAs for the two 2nd Rds, why not? You can't get great OTs in FA.

OLB -- basically we need two decent OLBs in FA, Floyd might be one (option or whatever). We don't have a good rookie contract OLB. Floyd or not, if BPA is OLB, why not?

To the bolded, no it's not, it's the first year they can be cut without a huge dead cap hit.

I suppose they could draft two OTs but i just really doubt they will. You also can often get starting RTs in free agency. LTs, no.

They may go OLB, wouldn't totally surprise, especially if they don't extend Floyd.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Slot and outside are two different worlds buddy

Your post wasnt about slot and outside being different. It was about Poole getting beat in SB as if Prince has never been beat.

If you had made the point about slot and outside then I would not respond. But a CB getting beat in one game is no reason to not want them.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Your post wasnt about slot and outside being different. It was about Poole getting beat in SB as if Prince has never been beat.

If you had made the point about slot and outside then I would not respond. But a CB getting beat in one game is no reason to not want them.
you literally said prince is worse than poole but poole plays slot and prince plays outside...….
and he didn't only get beat in one game it was constant throughout the season and playoffs. you still used a player who doesn't play the same position to compare....

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
you literally said prince is worse than poole but poole plays slot and prince plays outside...….
and he didn't only get beat in one game it was constant throughout the season and playoffs. you still used a player who doesn't play the same position to compare....

You brought up Poole below.

Brian Poole single handedly lost the falcons the Superbowl no thanks.

If you had said you dont want Poole because he plays slot then again would not have responded. Instead you brought up performance so I pointed out his performance graded out higher than Prince's.

So not sure what you want me to say here. I responded to you bringing him up. You are saying he gets beat consistently but he is 8th best rated CB per PFF and 11th in passer rating against.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
You brought up Poole below.

If you had said you dont want Poole because he plays slot then again would not have responded. Instead you brought up performance so I pointed out his performance graded out higher than Prince's.

So not sure what you want me to say here. I responded to you bringing him up. You are saying he gets beat consistently but he is 8th best rated CB per PFF and 11th in passer rating against. From the slot.
Correct i did but prince has never allowed a team to comeback from the largest Superbowl deficit in history(or any game) and lose them the most important game of their lives. But again i never said prince was better than poole i only stated poole isn't the answer based on that game. Poole isn't an outside cb so how would he even replace him in the first place.

Poole could of become a better player from the SLOT but we dont need a slot CB Shelley and Skrine hold that slot.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
I didn't realize how old Skrine was...well...hopefully he's taking that Terrence Newman serum

Rise

Liked Posts:
The Bears need to allocate more money to the offensive side of the ball. They are paying fuller,Jackson, and skrine the rest need to be cheap. This team needs balance and playmakers.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Correct i did but prince has never allowed a team to comeback from the largest Superbowl deficit in history(or any game) and lose them the most important game of their lives. But again i never said prince was better than poole i only stated poole isn't the answer based on that game. Poole isn't an outside cb so how would he even replace him in the first place.

Poole could of become a better player from the SLOT but we dont need a slot CB Shelley and Skrine hold that slot.

Right and I am saying your logic here of a 1 game sample is stupid.

I never said he would replace Prince. I simply told you he graded out better.

Per PFF Poole gave up 5 receptions for 62 yards and zero TDs. So the entire premise of your argument is horseshit.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cut Prince and let HHCD go. Put Eddie back at FS where he plays his best football, re-sign D.Bush for at most $2 mil per and sign a vet SS on the cheap to come in and compete with Bush for the starting job. Same with CB, you bring in a vet on the cheap to compete with Toliver for the starting CB2 spot. Guys like B.Breeland, R.Melvin, K.Johnson, PJ Williams, J.Bradberry and others made $3 mil or less last year so go sign one at $2-$3 mil per. Then to help the whole secondary out you fix the pass rush with the money you just saved at SS and CB and you let Pagano blitz more. QB pressure helps the secondary.

This. On both positions. Option for own guys to flourish with vet cushion & support - both on the cheap or at least reasonable.

We know what we have in Amuk and it's not great. Neither is him putting Jackson out of his best position at Free Safety.

Happy to see mid-late draft or two if Pace sees great potential, but hugely more important holes to fill on O when the above solves these plenty adequate & cheap.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah cause you know how often those 6th round picks turn into good players right....SMDH.

Nobody said he should be placed as the next starter...just to keep in mind as a developmental option to not forget about & cupboard isn't totally bare.
Like McMannis, who IF they bring him back yet again - has shown to fill in well as a solid backup.

Your post sounds like you write off a guy instantly for being serviceable just because of a later pick. Odds are you're right, but it just reads overly negative just based on draft status, when the post you responded to even said he wished we'd have seen more of him to get a better read on ability during those meaningless games. I could be wrong on your intentions.

Last edited:

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
*side note* The hit on Massie & Leno is big in 2020 if dropped, but they'd still save a few mil vs keeping around IIRC. So they'll likely pay the extra couple mil to have em in the chamber (hopefully as backups IMO). Money was spent already. Doesn't & shouldn't = they both start!!

If Pace loves two OL in first 2 picks, I'd respect the hell outta that move for admitting mistakes & attempting to fix. It's clear on tape these are 2 obvious drive-killing holes, if not THE biggest leaky holes in the whole offensive boat. MUST upgrades IMHO. Can't risk banking on new coaches to serviceable starting form. (back to topic, just had to vent)

-----------
*side note 2*
This has been a refreshingly good thread. Nice debates on subtle points here & there, but good stuff. Off season is always more interesting when it at least feels like a few moves can make the team solid contenders. Party on Bears fans.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Nobody said he should be placed as the next starter...just to keep in mind as a developmental option to not forget about & cupboard isn't totally bare.
Like McMannis, who IF they bring him back yet again - has shown to fill in well as a solid backup.

Your post sounds like you write off a guy instantly for being serviceable just because of a later pick. Odds are you're right, but it just reads overly negative just based on draft status, when the post you responded to even said he wished we'd have seen more of him to get a better read on ability during those meaningless games. I could be wrong on your intentions.

I was being facetious with that post.