Kickers likely to get cut who the Bears should keep in mind

Toast88

Liked Posts:
With Fry gone and Eddy Pineiro on the hot seat and likely needing a nearly flawless next couple of weeks to make it to Sept. 5, the Bears will obviously have their eyes peeled for available kickers on the waiver wire and elsewhere when the cuts come later this month.

Some available kickers and kickers who are likely to be cut, who the Bears should keep in mind:

Joey Slye, Panthers - Has been perfect through two preseason games, including one at Soldier Field. He’s connect on field goals from 55, 54, 42, 40 and 29. He actually did miss a 50+ yarder last week, but the kick was called back because of a defensive penalty. Slye was undrafted out of Virginia Tech and hit 72 percent of his field goals through four years in college, including 68 percent his senior year. If the Bears bite on him, let’s hope he’s figured something out on the pro level and has turned a corner.

Sam Ficken, Packers - A project player who left Penn State after a four-year college career in 2015, Ficken has bounced around to a few different teams over the past several years before landing on the Packers over the offseason. He’s made his only attempt with Green Bay, but is just 3 for 6 as a pro. Still, he has intrigued in training camp and practice, enough so that the Packers at least considered him to replace Crosby, but ultimately decided to try to kick the tires on Vedvik—an attempt that did not come through. Just how intriguing has he been in training camp and practice? Hard to say—Only Chicago media actually count practice kicks these days (and for good reason). Ficken was a career 72 percent field goal kicker in college, but kicked 82 percent his senior year...4+ years ago...

Cole Hedlund, Colts - Undrafted out of Arkansas and North Texas, Hedlund was brought into Colts camp simply as an insurance policy in case Adam Vinatieri stepped in a hole, got kidnapped or died. But the coaching staff has been pleasantly surprised by the promising young man—not enough to unseat the K GOAT, but enough for other teams to take notice. He has hit from 42, 44, 25 and 41 yards and missed from 51 yards through the first two preseason games. I wouldn’t be surprised to see someone else snatch him up before he gets to the Bears on the waiver wire. Hedlund was a career 72 percent kicker in college, but it’s worth noting that after leaving Arkansas and getting on at North Texas, he remade himself and delivered on 86 percent of his kicks from then on out.

Tristan Vizcaino, Bengals - A double duty guy who can kick AND punt, the future free agent has delivered on 2 of his 3 kicks this preseason, hitting from 57 and 47, and missing from 46. He’s also 3 for 3 on extra points. A lot is unknown here, as he’s simply not been given a ton of opportunity, and he’s not going to unseat veteran mainstay Randy Bullock. Still, there’s enough here to take a look at and consider. Vizcaino hit a 61-yarder at Jets minicamp earlier this year, about the same as his field goal percentage (60) in college in a year with the Washington Huskies, where he attempted just 20 kicks in his career. He averaged just over 40 yards a punt.

Matthew Wright, Steelers - The six-foot-tall prospect out of Central Florida has hit the only two field goals he’s attempted with Pittsburgh this preseason, from 46 and 42 yards. He’s probably not supplanting veteran Chris Boswell, despite the latter’s terrible 2018 season—Otherwise, you’d think the Steelers would be giving Wright more work. Wright hit 78 percent of his kicks throughout his four-year college career, including 86 percent his senior year. THIS GUY INTRIGUES THE HELL OUT OF ME.

Austin Barnard, Titans - Barnard was All Conference and 3rd Team All American while punting and kicking off at Samford. Averaged over 46 yards per punt and over 61 yards per kickoff. Supposedly can kick field goals as well, but I haven’t seen the stats or evidence to back that up. Still, the Titans must have believed in his kicking abilities enough to have him be their main offseason kicker while Succop works his way back from injury.

Greg Joseph or Austin Seibert, Browns - One of these guys will be cut, and the other will likely be the next Browns kicker. Neither has run away with the job. A former Florida Atlantic kicker with pro experience, Joseph delivered on 17 of 20 field goals for the Browns last year at an 85 percent clip. It seems he figured something out as a pro, because he made just 70 percent of his kicks in college. So what’s the problem? He missed four extra points last year, for starters. Also, his practices were shaky enough that the browns decided to spend a fifth round pick on Oklahoma kicker Austin Seibert. Seibert is no stranger to big moments, as he had plenty under lights and on national TV under Lincoln Riley. He was the Big 12 Special Teams Player of the Year last year, and holds the all time FBS scoring record for a kicker. He connected on 80 percent of his kicks in his four-year college career. Greg Joseph has made 1 of 2 field goal tries this preseason, missing one from just beyond 50, while Seibert has missed his only try that I can see, a 50+ yarder in Week 2. At least one of these two guys will be released, and I think either one could be a decent professional kicking option, depending on the circumstances. It would be very Brownsian for Cleveland to spend a 5th on a kicker, only to cut him.

Matt Bryant, free agent, partially retired - A career 86 percent field goal kicker, the 44 year old hit on over 95 percent of his tries last year. He’s reportedly been in constant contact with his agent and is insistent he can still kick. Recent years suggest that’s probably right, as each of his past three years have been above 87 percent. This would be a reliable instant upgrade that would allow the Bears to simply focus on being a good football team and not on the constant kicking fiascos in Chicago. The only “um, but” is that Bears beat writers have said they’d prefer to find the next young Robbie Gould instead of spend heavy money or assets on a long-in-the-tooth veteran. They may feel different down the line, or the available options could force their hand.

I didn’t include Matt Gay because he’s not getting cut. He’s going to beat out Cairo Santos.

I didn’t include Cairo Santos because of obvious reasons.

I didn’t include Dan Bailey because he’s worse than Cody Parkey—literally, statistically he’s worse.

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Sounds like Wright and Ficken are the best of these options.,

Liked Posts:
With Fry gone and Eddy Pineiro on the hot seat and likely needing a nearly flawless next couple of weeks to make it to Sept. 5, the Bears will obviously have their eyes peeled for available kickers on the waiver wire and elsewhere when the cuts come later this month.

Some available kickers and kickers who are likely to be cut, who the Bears should keep in mind:

Joey Slye, Panthers - Has been perfect through two preseason games, including one at Soldier Field. He’s connect on field goals from 55, 54, 42, 40 and 29. He actually did miss a 50+ yarder last week, but the kick was called back because of a defensive penalty. Slye was undrafted out of Virginia Tech and hit 72 percent of his field goals through four years in college, including 68 percent his senior year. If the Bears bite on him, let’s hope he’s figured something out on the pro level and has turned a corner.

Sam Ficken, Packers - A project player who left Penn State after a four-year college career in 2015, Ficken has bounced around to a few different teams over the past several years before landing on the Packers over the offseason. He’s made his only attempt with Green Bay, but is just 3 for 6 as a pro. Still, he has intrigued in training camp and practice, enough so that the Packers at least considered him to replace Crosby, but ultimately decided to try to kick the tires on Vedvik—an attempt that did not come through. Just how intriguing has he been in training camp and practice? Hard to say—Only the Bears actually count practice kicks these days. Ficken was a career 72 percent field goal kicker in college, but kicked 82 percent his senior year...4+ years ago...

Cole Hedlund, Colts - Undrafted out of Arkansas and North Texas, Hedlund was brought into Colts camp simply as an insurance policy in case Adam Vinatieri stepped in a hole, got kidnapped or died. But the coaching staff has been pleasantly surprised by the promising young man—not enough to unseat the K GOAT, but enough for other teams to take notice. He has hit from 42, 44, 25 and 41 yards and missed from 51 yards through the first two preseason games. I wouldn’t be surprised to see someone else snatch him up before he gets to the Bears on the waiver wire. Hedlund was a career 72 percent kicker in college, but it’s worth noting that after leaving Arkansas and getting on at North Texas, he remade himself and delivered on 86 percent of his kicks from then on out.

Tristan Vizcaino, Bengals - A double duty guy who can kick AND punt, the future free agent has delivered on 2 of his 3 kicks this preseason, hitting from 57 and 47, and missing from 46. He’s also 3 for 3 on extra points. A lot is unknown here, as he’s simply not been given a ton of opportunity, and he’s not going to unseat veteran mainstay Randy Bullock. Still, there’s enough here to take a look at and consider. Vizcaino hit a 61-yarder at Jets minicamp earlier this year, about the same as his field goal percentage (60) in college in a year with the Washington Huskies, where he attempted just 20 kicks in his career. He averaged just over 40 yards a punt.

Matthew Wright, Steelers - The six-foot-tall prospect out of Central Florida has hit the only two field goals he’s attempted with Pittsburgh this preseason, from 46 and 42 yards. He’s probably not supplanting veteran Chris Boswell, despite the latter’s terrible 2018 season—Otherwise, you’d think the Steelers would be giving Wright more work. Wright hit 78 percent of his kicks throughout this four-year college career, including 86 percent his senior year. THIS GUY INTRIGUES THE HELL OUT OF ME.

Austin Barnard, Titans - Barnard was All Conference and 3rd Team All American while punting and kicking off at Samford. Averaged over 46 yards per punt and over 61 yards per kickoff. Supposedly can kick field goals as well, but I haven’t seen the stats or evidence to back that up. Still, the Titans must have believed in his kicking abilities enough to have him be their main offseason kickers while Succop works his way back from injury.

Greg Joseph or Austin Seibert, Browns - One of these guys will be cut, and the other will likely be the next Browns kicker. Neither has run away with the job. A former Florida Atlantic kicker with pro experience, Joseph delivered on 17 of 20 field goals for the Browns last year at an 85 percent clip. It seems he figured something out as a pro, because he made just 70 percent of his kicks in college. So what’s the problem? He missed four extra points last year, for starters. Also, his practices were shaky enough that the browns decided to spend a fifth round pick on Oklahoma kicker Austin Seibert. Seibert is no stranger to big moments, as he had plenty under lights and on national TV under Lincoln Riley. He was the Big 12 Special Teams Player of the Year last year, and holds the all time FBS scoring record for a kicker. He connected on 80 percent of his kicks in his four-year college career. Greg Joseph has made 1 of 2 field goal tries this preseason, missing one from just beyond 50, while Seibert has missed his only try that I can see, a 50+ yarder in Week 2. At least one of these two guys will be released, and I think either one could be a decent professional kicking option, depending on the circumstances. It would be very Brownsian for Cleveland to spend a 5th on a kicker, only to cut him.

Matt Bryant, free agent, partially retired - A career 86 percent field goal kicker, the 44 hit on over 95 percent of his tries last year. He’s reportedly been in constant contact with his agent and is insistent he can still kick. Recent years suggest that’s probably right, as each of his past three years have been above 87 percent. This would be a reliable instant upgrade that would allow the Bears to simply focus on being a good football team and not on the constant kicking fiascos in Chicago. The only “um, but” is that Bears beat writers have said they’d prefer to find the next young Robbie Gould instead of spend heavy money or assets on a long-in-the-tooth veteran. They may feel different down the line, or the available options could force their hand.

I didn’t include Matt Gay because he’s not getting cut. He’s going to beat out Cairo Santos.

I didn’t include Cairo Santos because of obvious reasons.

I didn’t include Dan Bailey because he’s worse than Cody Parkey—literally, statistically he’s worse.

I think every kicker you mentioned had a worse FG % in college than Eddy. It is really the only thing we can compare to Eddy in the sense that Eddy's professional experience is limited to one pre-season game against the Lions last year. He did go 3/3 with two of those kicks coming off the dirt infield because of baseball. I think we just all need to take a step back and see what he does the next two pre-season games. He just may surprise all of us and actually be the real deal after all. I don't think any Bears fan is going to get over the bitter taste that the playoff loss left everyone anytime soon. So I guess this is what has everyone on this site so hyper sensitive and already looking for options that actually may not be nearly as good in what this team already has in Eddy.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
It’s likely all these guys will be at home if they are cut. Stick with Eddy unless he implodes for the time being.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
It’s likely all these guys will be at home if they are cut. Stick with Eddy unless he implodes for the time being.
Yep. If the Bears like one of them, just give him a ring and tell him to keep his leg ready, just in case. No need to waste a PS spot on a kicker...

Rise

Liked Posts:
Thank you for doing this. What this basically says is we better hope Eddy steps up cause nobody on that list is exciting. Maybe Gano becomes available but I have to think that would only be due to injury so he wouldn’t help us either.

D.J. Moore

The Member
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I think Cole Hedlund is the best chance at our next robbie gould. From everything colts fans are saying they seem to want him to replace vinatieri but vinatieri will be playing till he's 60 so...

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Thank you for doing this. What this basically says is we better hope Eddy steps up cause nobody on that list is exciting. Maybe Gano becomes available but I have to think that would only be due to injury so he wouldn’t help us either.
Yeah, none of those guys really move my needle that much or have more merit than Eddy at this point. Roll with Eddy until he proves he can't do the job.

evansanity

Soldi Soldi
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Ohio State Buckeyes
You gotta wonder how Fredo got the job over Younghoe Koo (perfect 9/9 in the AAF) this offseason...Time will tell tho, I think he keeps the job this preseason and becomes our long term fix.

Toast88

Liked Posts:

I tend to agree. I really hope Eddy plays lights out these last two games, because I don’t want the Bears to have to make a tough decision if Pineiro goes out and misses 2 or more kicks over the next two games. There are *maybeee* a couple of intriguing options in there, but if I included Pineiro in there, his resume would probably be the most reliable-looking.

It’s for this reason that I’d really caution against getting Preseason Eye, a condition afflicting lots of fans and media each year around training camp and preseason when players’ whole history goes out the window in favor of how they played in a game or two. A player like Vedvik is there. (Not saying he can’t be good, but he’s a career 62 percent kicker dating back to his college days.) Slye is also there, a guy who kicked 68 percent his senior year in college and has never had a year when he kicked better than 76 percent. Call me skeptical that a few snaps in a couple of exhibition pro games are enough to make these career below-average kickers (by pro standards) turn the corner.

If I threw Pineiro on the list, I’d mention his 88 percent field goal rate at Florida, a big time school where he saw some big games against big-time real opponents. I’d mention how he connected on 94 percent of field goals his final year in college, and how he seemed poised to break into the NFL with Oakland last year before an untimely injury sidelined him. And we’d all say that objectively, he seems like the best kicker.

I really hope Pineiro steps up. He’s got the tools. He’s got the history. Now he has to push recent history aside and put it all together and realize his moment.

Clint Eastwood

Liked Posts:
I was going to suggest the OP included a blurb about Pineiro pretending he was cut and available. I suspect if that were the case, he would run away with the support of this group of Bears fans as the guy most likely to be the best of the bunch. Why take someone else’s flavor of the moment, when this guy has the tools, the pedigree and the preseason to suggest he could be our guy?

DBCOOPER

Liked Posts:
Of the batch in the running it sounds like Pineiro or Slye are the best choices, and if Pineiro doesn't fall off the next few weeks it should be his just for simplicity sake.

jive

Liked Posts:
The only guy on the list of any interest is Matt Bryant. I wouldn't be surprised if Pace has him on speed dial if Pineiro falters. He has proven NFL experience, and has come through in big games. His downside is that he can't do kickoffs like he used to, and doesn't have a strong leg. But, he's pretty much automatic within 49 yards.

I think one of the reason Pineiro sticks is because he has a strong leg to at least have a chance at something over 50 yards and to do kick-offs.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I keep reading about college FG %.

If only a guy could receive better coaching at the NFL level than in college!? ?

Many good # of non-drafted college kickers have the leg strength but not the accuracy. Hence coach up the potential IF a guy can handle the stress & develop consistent accuracy. That's the big if.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Since college fg% is apparently very important I say go get the best ever.....Roberto Aguayo.....mission accomplished!

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Robbie Gould 55% his last 2 years in college.
I do appreciate that Pace and Nagy made a choice from what we have here to prepare one guy as starter the rest of the way. Having the kicking comp go until final cuts would have been a mistake.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Who else needs a kicker? Slye is potentially going to be a hot commodity.