Kid gets Destroyed Too Much or just football?

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
It's not the drill, so much as the lack of technique being taught. I mean, yeah, the kid got trucked, but he was also too high and not using the correct form to tackle.

Yeah, squaring up is nice, but that isn't the way to teach tackling, especially in practice.
Dude, it's the drill.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
You gotta go against tackle dummies until you have good form. It's a fine drill if they have good technique.

Hell, when I was a kid, all the way through high school our coaches taught technique first before you could do contact drills. If you started getting sloppy, you had to go back to the dummies until you cleaned up your form. You don't want kids getting hurt in practice!

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
This is why I won't let my kids play football until they're in high school.
This is why I want my kids playing football from as early as possible, 5 years old. They need to learn technique before they go full speed. Plus, if they don't like it, it's much safer than big bodies hitting.

I get where you're coming from, but see most of the issues with football as being a lack of technique more than anything. It doesn't need to be as injury-causing as it is, but so many people focus on the physicality without the proper technique.

I see it in wrestling and boxing, too. Forget about MMA. It's about technique not attributes.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
This is why I want my kids playing football from as early as possible, 5 years old. They need to learn technique before they go full speed. Plus, if they don't like it, it's much safer than big bodies hitting.

I get where you're coming from, but see most of the issues with football as being a lack of technique more than anything. It doesn't need to be as injury-causing as it is, but so many people focus on the physicality without the proper technique.

I see it in wrestling and boxing, too. Forget about MMA. It's about technique not attributes.
Did you really just lump wrestling in with sports where peoples brains turn to mush?

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
There's no reason for kids that are a single digit age to do a drill that promotes head on collisions.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
As a Father, I immediately cringed. My oldest is dying to play tackle football. I think he just got a Nintendo Switch.

Yikes.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
Did you really just lump wrestling in with sports where peoples brains turn to mush?

Yes. I did.

For example, I was taught the double leg takedown in wrestling with a lead leg, shoot, snake the leg, lift, eyes to the sky, ear to the mat, drop, leg control to pin. We drilled the movement, same for single leg, ride the pipe to stem leg reap.

I have seen coaches just put two kids on the mat and let them just have at it and then try to refine the tackle-like take down into a double leg. This is how injuries and slams happen.

Now, I like slamming a dude off the double as much as anyone, or switching up from a double to an All American, whatever, but, the point is, there's a way of drilling wrestling to create good form and there's a meathead way of just letting people wrestle and refine technique. Obviously, the latter leads to some serious injuries, but, unfortunately, I see it all the time!

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
As a Father, I immediately cringed. My oldest is dying to play tackle football. I think he just got a Nintendo Switch.

Yikes.

Oh please don't! We need to get our boys outside and active.

Be there at the practice, have him learn form tackling before you put him in.

A good drill is to hold up a number on a paper and he has to read it before he puts his shoulder and chest into you so he gets used to looking up and into the hit, not down and shying away from contact.

I really hope you reconsider.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Yes. I did.

For example, I was taught the double leg takedown in wrestling with a lead leg, shoot, snake the leg, lift, eyes to the sky, ear to the mat, drop, leg control to pin. We drilled the movement, same for single leg, ride the pipe to stem leg reap.

I have seen coaches just put two kids on the mat and let them just have at it and then try to refine the tackle-like take down into a double leg. This is how injuries and slams happen.

Now, I like slamming a dude off the double as much as anyone, or switching up from a double to an All American, whatever, but, the point is, there's a way of drilling wrestling to create good form and there's a meathead way of just letting people wrestle and refine technique. Obviously, the latter leads to some serious injuries, but, unfortunately, I see it all the time!
That's my fault, i didn't word my question well enough. We're talking about technique to prevent injury. Yes, its important in every sport but life altering injury is a rare occurrence in wrestling. Getting hit in the head repeatedly is proven to cause long term brain damage. Coaching incompetence in wrestling doesn't have the same impact in terms of injury as it does in one where the goal is to literally punch faces and the other is humans running full speed with their heads wrapped in a hard shell.

Id say technique is more important in wrestling in terms of success, rather than preventing injury.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
No way. I’d imagine 90% of coaches below HS level (and maybe even including many HS ones) don’t have a clue about correct technique, or how to teach it. Even college teams let’s the “elite” kids get by without it, as long as they are bigger, faster, stronger and help the team win (make $$$).