Kobe vs. Michael

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
sorry, sarcasm doesnt translate well into the internet. lonley sucks.

rodman wasn't an elite pf. he was a great rebounder/defensive stopper.

That makes him an elite PF, great and elite should be synonymous. Unfortunately the word "great" is way overused, especially on this forum.

He wasn't just a great rebounder, he was the greatest of his time.

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
If Kobe was playing in MJs era I am pretty sure he would have no rings plus had MJ not retired you could add another four rings to his belt.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
Who knows, Michael never had to contend with anyone like Kobe either. I don't think it would have been that cut and dry.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well if we knew, this discussion wouldn't be needed now wouldn't it :p

Hendu0520

Liked Posts:
This isn't an argument so please stop bringing it up. Please go to Basketball Reference.com and look at the 2 players careers side by side. They are not even close.

So not only does MJ absolutely crush Kobe by far in every statistical category, for you people who say championships and winning is more important. Jordan absolutely crushes Kobe in that department as well.

Please just because someone has similar build and athletecism does not mean that he is equal. Actually Kobe has better handle than Jordan ever did, so what. The only thing that Kobe has is his 81 point game. Other than that there is not one thing anyone can say to put him over Jordan while we could write a book on things that Jordan has over Kobe.

The stats are not even close! The Chips aren't even close! Move on.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
I don't believe the discrepancy between the two is that great on the court. I don't think Michael would agree with you, I know Phil Jackson doesn't. He believes that the gap is closer than that. Jordan was amazed at how great a young Kobe could be at times. I think that Jordan is the best player ever, but not by that wide a margin. Kobe is a worth adversary, and the best SG post Jordan. And if you only want to go by stats, then Wilt is the man, not Jordan. Wilt's numbers dwarfs everybody's numbers.

What I pointed out is that Jordan and Kobe are similar athletically and on the court, Kobe is as good as Jordan in certain areas and even better in other areas. The edge that Jordan has is his mental capabilities. Which are unparalleled. That is it, not much else but that seperates the two. Kobe looks like a Jordan clone on the court. But mentally he is not as strong.

Hendu0520

Liked Posts:
houheffna wrote:
I don't believe the discrepancy between the two is that great on the court. I don't think Michael would agree with you, I know Phil Jackson doesn't. He believes that the gap is closer than that. Jordan was amazed at how great a young Kobe could be at times. I think that Jordan is the best player ever, but not by that wide a margin. Kobe is a worth adversary, and the best SG post Jordan. And if you only want to go by stats, then Wilt is the man, not Jordan. Wilt's numbers dwarfs everybody's numbers.

What I pointed out is that Jordan and Kobe are similar athletically and on the court, Kobe is as good as Jordan in certain areas and even better in other areas. The edge that Jordan has is his mental capabilities. Which are unparalleled. That is it, not much else but that seperates the two. Kobe looks like a Jordan clone on the court. But mentally he is not as strong.

Jordan clone? Absolutely not, just because he was a borderline stalker of Jordan down to the same exact words in interviews to walking like him he is not even close. Jordan has mutliple dominant big games where he didn't choke like Kobe did this Finals. Kobe supposedly just learned how to play as a team player? 13 yrs in the league?

Yah if you go by stats then its Wilt and by winning then its Russell. Jordan has the best stats behind Wilt and is second only to Russell win winning so he is the best because Wilt hardly won and Russell didn't have great stats.

As for Kobe, when comparing the greatest of all time you have to look at everything but consistency has to matter. Basketball reference does a great job of this. Look at things like scoring titles, defensive player of the year, steals titles, years avg. 30ppg, all defensive teams, all nba teams. Going from a year scoring 37ppg then going to 30/8/8, yah only MJ and Oscar have done that. Jordan played at such a high level for so many years, that is what separates all of the great ones from the good ones. Kobe has had a rougher road even though he won 3 chips early. He learned the game while in the league, then got good but his soap opera's held him back, Jordan's shadow held him back, finally he is starting to be a consistently dominant player the past 3-4 yrs maybe 5. Now he is at the point that Jordan was his last 3 chips where he is picking his spots and times to dominate. Kobe's window of dominating an entire game on both ends of the floor is over.

MJ came in with one of the best rookie campaigns ever and held an absolutely dominant level for 10 yrs straight and won 3 chips at the end of that tremendous run. Changing his game multiple times while having gaudy stats and winning too. Then after the retirement he had to pick and choose his spots but was still able to be the most dominant player in the league and reel off another 3 chips. Once again he changed his game and gone were the outlandish stats but somehow he still was able win every year and oh yah 72 wins and 69 wins. Not everything is a stat, some things are facts. Kobe's career and story does not even come close to being as dominant, skilled, consistent or intellegent as the Jordan career, please stop reaching. Harold Minor was 6'6 great hops, handle, and speed, they called him baby Jordan, he flopped. Kobe has had a great career not like Minor but c'mon now people. I love how the media can shape minds and stupid arguments. Kobe did nothing different than last year, you wanna know why he won, BECAUSE KG GOT INJURED. I love how all of a sudden he has a great stare and has finally learned how to win, please.

The other greats were about sustained dominance Wilt and Russell, Kareem, Magic, Bird, Jordan,Shaq even was the best center in the league for a 10 year period and was the best player in the league once Jordan left up until 2005. It is about the body of work and Kobe can never even come close. Bernard King could hang with Jordan for a few years too is he up there with Kobe too?

Phil Jackson says great things when they win, and bad things when they lose about Kobe. Of course he is gonna say that. One on one maybe Kobe beats MJ in his prime 6 out of 10, once again I say so what.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
Once again, be careful with reliance to stats. Look at each facet of the game and see what they both can do. You tell me what Jordan could do better than Kobe on a basketball court. I can tell you a couple of things that Kobe could actually do better, you couldn't tell me what Jordan can do better, if so, tell me, don't just give me stats. Stats does not prove who the better player is. You can inundate the masses with stats, but it just doesn't work that way. Why are you comparing Harold Miner to Kobe? Makes no sense. Shouldn't even say there names in the same conversation, shouldn't say there names in the same day...

Again, THERE IS NOTHING, NOTHING, JORDAN CAN DO ON A BASKETBALL COURT THAT KOBE CANNOT DO ATHLETICALLY. NOTHING!

Jordan's shadow didn't hold Kobe back...Lakers personnel did. I don't even know what that means, Jordan's shadow...Kobe was an all-star and arguably the games best player when Jordan was still playing ball. If Kobe was so intimidated by Jordan's shadow, he wouldn't have had any interest in coming to Chicago.

Kobe is in Jordan's class when it comes to athletics on a basketball court, no doubt about it. The line of separation is based on mental dominance, physical dominance is not in the equation.

There is a good chance that Kobe could pass Jordan in scoring, and could win as many championships, maybe more. That doesn't make him a better player. I think Shaq, for example was the most dominant center in league history, but Moses and Olajuwon were better basketball players at the position.

So the stats are fine to look at but when it comes to the games and what they can do, Kobe is just as good as Jordan. Again, mentally? Another subject matter altogether.

Rerisen

Liked Posts:
houheffna wrote:
So the stats are fine to look at but when it comes to the games and what they can do, Kobe is just as good as Jordan. Again, mentally? Another subject matter altogether.

Kobe is not 'just as good as Jordan'. I don't understand how any Bulls fan that actually watched Michael Jordan in his prime and early years could ever say that. How come Kobe couldn't shoot over 50% even one year in his career? When Jordan shot 50% for his entire career, and well over it in his prime. That is not being just as good, sorry you can't just throw stats in the trash because Kobe's game resembles Jordan, while he falls short in all categories, from stats, to winning to leadership. It's ok to say Kobe can do all the same things Jordan could do, but he doesn't do them as well, or efficiently.

Kobe's post game is nowhere near as mastered as Jordan's was. That is one representation of what made Jordan the superior player, was the ability to go to his hot spots and consistently knock down *easy* high percentage shots for him. Kobe cannot do that. Kobe fades to the perimeter more and more as he faces tough defenses. And then he starts chucking long two and three pointers in a desperate bid to win the game with a hot shooting streak. Usually hands are all in his face for these shots. And that is because he doesn't create space for his jumper like Michael could. His first step isn't as good, he's not as deceptive and doesn't elevate his jumper like Michael did.

Kobe has admitted himself that because his hands are smaller (not the only reason) he cannot finish as coordinated or as creatively as Jordan around the rim. And anymore you are likely to see Kobe get stripped or lose the ball trying to drive in for a basket at the end of games. That's why he shoots jumpers. His FTA are dropping yearly and he's only 30. Let's see in 2 or 3 years if Kobe is holding up even close to what M.J was doing in the second three peat.

Defensively is another area Jordan has Kobe beat handily. Kobe is a good defender that can play great for short stretches, but Jordan was a great defender his entire career, up until the last couple years of the second three peat where he coasted more on defense to conserve energy for offense. Even then Jordan still made huge defensive plays at the end of games to turn the tide. Everyone remembers MJ's last jumper to beat Utah, but less remembered is that he stole the ball from Malone the previous possession to actually set the team up to win. And that is just talking straight defensive skill, not even going into blocks and steals where Jordan considerably outperforms Kobe.

Some say Kobe has an advantage in ball handling, and maybe that is true in terms of fancy sportscenter moves. But for his career Kobe turns the ball over more than Michael did. Possessions are what matter in winning and losing. Being flashy means being more careless and taking more chances. I'll take the safer player that relied on the same moves, but performed them flawlessly so that they were unstoppable.

LeBron James is already a superior player to Kobe. Now if LeBron puts 10 more years together at his current quality and wins a handful of titles in the process, then you may have a real contender to challenge Jordan. But Kobe is a pretender. On any given night he is maybe 85% of what Jordan brought. 85% of Michael is still a darn good player, its just not the GOAT.

Stylistically, I think Dwyane Wade now plays a more similar game to traditional Jordan than Kobe does. 80% of Kobe's shots are jumpers. Jordan would never let the defense get off that easy. And neither does Wade, he is an attacker until you stop his easy baskets. Kobe on the surface, the body type, the mannerisms, the form, gives the *appearance* of being more like Jordan, but in how he operates on the court and attacks the defense, its a very distorted and neutered version of Jordan that isn't nearly as tough or aggressive.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
You have never seen Kobe post up and shoot a fadeaway? At this point in his career he doesn't have to rely on that llke Jordan did late in his career. Plus, Kobe is a better face-up jump shooter than Jordan was, especially from longer range. Obviously with Shaq and Gasol, Bynum, Odom, he does not need to do that, but he can take an undersized guard down low and post them with no problem.

I watched Jordan from the day he walked in the door to the time he walked out...I know just about every nuance of his game, I have watched many of Kobe's games too. Their games are very similar.

I am not going to be some bitter old man yelling at people for comparing whoever to Jordan. If another player is better fine. I believe that Lebron, at the rate of progression he is on now, will surpass them all...so far he is ahead of Jordan at that age so we will see.

Hendu0520

Liked Posts:
Heff I understand that Kobe matches if not exceeds Jordan athletically, so do all the players of the new generation, want a list that are better athletically Carter, McGrady, Francis, Richardson, Kobe, Lebron, Wade, Iverson. That doesn't matter. It matters your dominance in the era that you play compared to the players around you.

Jordan was able to dominate in the greatest center's era of all time, which is un heard of. Kobe was on the best center of all time's team so he didn't have a chance to prove he could lead a team against Shaq. But since Shaq has gotten older and there are no dominant centers until D Howard comes along, Kobe hasn't been able to dominate the crown. Just 3 years ago his team was the last to give up a 3-1 lead in the playoffs and he quit in game 7.

Kobe's power over a 5 on 5 NBA basketball game has never come close to Jordan offensively or defensively it is a fact. Kobe's dominance over the basketball game hasn't even come close to Shaq's. They created the zone defense because of Shaq. They took away the handcheck because Jordan retired. Yes Kobe has time to still do some damage but Lebron has already passed his dominance of a 5 on 5 game and individual talent probably. Wade and Howard are hot on his trail. Not to mention just last year he got outplayed by Paul Pierce, how quickly we forget.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
That is a rather lofty list of better athletes, I never said Kobe was better athletically. I said that on the court athletically (as in the physical components of the game) he can match Jordan. I don't think that he can match Jordan's mental imposition in a ball game. NO one can, in any sport, never seen it before or since. Never have I seen one man's will, subordinate to the will of the opposing players, fans, the "basketball gods" and nature itself, carry a team to resolute victory the way Jordan can. That to me is the greatness of Jordan. He has the ability to force his will on everyone involved in the game it seems.

That doesn't matter. It matters your dominance in the era that you play compared to the players around you.

If this is the emphasis used to make the choice, its Wilt, hands down.

charity stripe

Liked Posts:
houheffna wrote:
I just choked on my food reading that

Well get yourself together, go outside and get some fresh air, and while you are out there, try not to eat and read at the same time, might be a bit of a challenge for you.

No, its not a challenge at all for me.

Why in your opinion are Sam Smith and Charley Rosen the best bball writers?

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
No, its not a challenge at all for me.

Why in your opinion are Sam Smith and Charley Rosen the best bball writers?

When Sam isn't giving wild trade scenarios, and he talks the game, he is very good. I think the Bulls have the best beat writers of any of the sports teams among the major papers here (Johnson, Hanley) but I always liked Sam's ability to be realistic concerning the Bulls as well as the league. When being interviewed, his sarcasm can catch people off guard and may contribute to some not taking him seriously but he is damn good when it comes to talking the sport.

Rosen is the best hands down, because he goes in between the lines. He breaks down why a player is a good player and a bad player. If you read his stuff, it is like you are in class, learning the sport over and over and always learning something new. The only comparison would be if Hubie Brown was to write articles but be more critical than he is on broadcasts.

He is also a 50 year veteran of professional basketball who coached under Phil Jackson in the CBA and coached himself in the CBA. He was also a college coach at one time. He knows the game and teaches it very well, and in my opinion no one surpasses him. Oh, and he keeps stats speak to a minimum. I love that.