Koyie Hill, not worthy

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We did acquire Max Ramirez over the offseason plus we still have Wellington Castillo

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
As a believer in catcher ERA. I am okay with him as the backup.

Liked Posts:
As a believer in catcher ERA. I am okay with him as the backup.

noooo! thats such a fallacy!

Besides, do you think hill's 'catcher era' is average?

Do you think the supposed catcher era counteracts is .242 wOBA? 42 wRC+?

Certainly that answer depends on how much you weigh it, but it can't be that heavily, since all the guy does is put his fingers down (of course, if they're not called from the dugout) and block balls, and not actually throw any pitches.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
noooo! thats such a fallacy!

There are studies coming out now that are beginning to show that, that is not true. I posted an article about it a while back but took it down. It was by Sean Smith. Its in the 2011 THT book. Its a good article.

IMO the biggest justification for it being real is looking at the Angels over the past few years. Mathis always had a lower cERA than Napoli. I think its disregarded because how often to catchers actually catch enough innings of enough pitchers to actually be studied?

Besides, do you think hill's 'catcher era' is average?

I do not know how to measure an average cERA, but you can still compare him to Soto.

In 2010 Hill had a .2 better cERA, in 2009 it was .29, and in 2007 it was .63, but there probably isnt a big enough sample size to include 2007 nor 2008. If you add all those up its probably around .25 earned runs a game.

Do you think the supposed catcher era counteracts is .242 wOBA? 42 wRC+?

Probably not, but I don't know if we are going to get any better out of anyone else. I at least believe in Hills game calling abilities, and I trust him. I don't know about Castillo or Ramirez, and its not costing us much. I would at the very least like to see Castillo spend a little more time in AAA before taking over for Hill. If we are out of it by July I would cut Hill and see what Castillo has, but until then I am fine with Hill because I believe I know what I am getting with Hill.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would like to see Castillo, but I have had a boner for him for years.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I would like to see Castillo, but I have had a boner for him for years.

Ditto, about the first part.

I wasn't too high on Castillo until last season or 2009, so I was excited to see his MLB debut, which was pretty good IMO.

And I hate Koyie Hill.

wadedog21

Bleedin' Cubbie Blue
Liked Posts:
Ramirez or Castillo.....they have to let Hill go.

EnjoyYourTiger

That weird bear thing.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hill is a good defensive back up. But he couldn't hit his way out of a paper bag.

Northside_slugger

Liked Posts:
We did acquire Max Ramirez over the offseason plus we still have Wellington Castillo

Jeez, this topic again?

As i said months ago, Hill will be the backup unless Ramirez has a monster spring, which i doubt he will have. Forget about Castillo. He must play everyday. Unless he can beat out Geo Soto, which he wont, he needs to play everyday and not just sit.

Hill will be backup.

bobferg

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bring back Henry Blanco!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jeez, this topic again?

As i said months ago, Hill will be the backup unless Ramirez has a monster spring, which i doubt he will have. Forget about Castillo. He must play everyday. Unless he can beat out Geo Soto, which he wont, he needs to play everyday and not just sit.

Hill will be backup.

Why does he need to play every day? He's not going to be taking Geo's spot anytime soon.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Why does he need to play every day? He's not going to be taking Geo's spot anytime soon.

Could be a trade chip, I guess, if we keep him down as a starter and he proves to be a good prospect.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Could be a trade chip, I guess, if we keep him down as a starter and he proves to be a good prospect.

I'd much rather just have a good back up. Good back up catchers are underrated.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I'd much rather just have a good back up. Good back up catchers are underrated.

I prefer Castillo too, just showing what he was thinking, which does make sense too.

EnjoyYourTiger

That weird bear thing.
Donator
Liked Posts:
I prefer Castillo too, just showing what he was thinking, which does make sense too.

But the whole "doesn't make any sense for him to be a backup if he never plays" thing applies to him as it does to Jackson and Cashner. While I agree that he would be a fantastic back up to Geo, he needs to play to develop. Leave him down in AAA ball, or whatever, and if we have an actual need for him, call him up. Until that point, leave him and Jackson and Cash Money if he doesn't earn a starting rotation spot this year, down in Iowa.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
But the whole "doesn't make any sense for him to be a backup if he never plays" thing applies to him as it does to Jackson and Cashner. While I agree that he would be a fantastic back up to Geo, he needs to play to develop. Leave him down in AAA ball, or whatever, and if we have an actual need for him, call him up. Until that point, leave him and Jackson and Cash Money if he doesn't earn a starting rotation spot this year, down in Iowa.

Hmmm... you know, I think you're right. It's not like we're going to be winning anything this year.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Hmmm... you know, I think you're right. It's not like we're going to be winning anything this year.

You are so confusing... you get mad at me for being down, and then you take all chance of anything away... or is this sarcasm to an extent? :confused:

I still say Cash should be starting for Chicago.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You are so confusing... you get mad at me for being down, and then you take all chance of anything away... or is this sarcasm to an extent? :confused:

I still say Cash should be starting for Chicago.

What? Take all chance of anything?

That's fine that you say Cash should be starting, but that's because you are a fan and you are about the least most objective person in the world.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
What? Take all chance of anything?

That's fine that you say Cash should be starting, but that's because you are a fan and you are about the least most objective person in the world.

Least most objective? You high?

And sure, I only think Cashner should start because I'm a fan of him... ok... Exactly why the reports say he has all but locked up a spot and the Cubs want him to start... but it's just me. :rolleyes: