Kyle Long on the current state of the Chicago Bears: "It is a different culture here"

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
Fox wasn't hired to fix Cutler, he was hired to win a championship. If he thinks Cutler is the best bet so be it.

You correct he was brought in here to turn the team around as a whole, but a big part of that process is getting the QB to be a little more efficient and keeping the ball out of the oppositions hands. Now going with a heavy run attack is nice and I am all for that no matter the QB, but the reality is in order to be a well rounded team you have to pass the ball with efficiency. In order for Fox to do that he either needs to fix that issue with Cutler because he is tied to him and the hefty contract or address his sooner rather than later replacement in this draft or at the latest the next draft.

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Exactly. Fox is going to do what he thinks is best for the team. Of course he does have his hands tied with Cutler's contract this year and probably next year. Cutler is an average QB with the potential to be better if he just had a different brain. Unfotunately he doesn't, so he what he is.

And if he thinks Cutler is that guy than so be it, I may not agree with that decision based off of the past 6 years he has been in Chicago...but I have always thought Fox was a great coach and will trust that decision. I just personally hope Cutler is a 1 year filler for them to bring in and potentially prep his replacement.

Jester

White Guy
Liked Posts:
And if he thinks Cutler is that guy than so be it, I may not agree with that decision based off of the past 6 years he has been in Chicago...but I have always thought Fox was a great coach and will trust that decision. I just personally hope Cutler is a 1 year filler for them to bring in and potentially prep his replacement.

Yeah I trust Fox as well, I have always liked him as a coach. I hope we can find our future QB as well, and really want the staff we have now to find that guy. I really don't care if we have Cutler for a couple more years. I do understand the hate for the guy around here, because he seems like an ass and makes shitty decisions at crucial points in a game. However, he is a middle of the pack QB and we need to improve at a lot of other positions first.

If he was actually getting paid what he deserved I wouldn't have a problem with Cutler at all. Basically we would have significantly more money to spend on the defense.

I do believe Fox will try to mitigate the damage Cutler can do by running the ball more. We will just have to see if Forte and the Oline can carry the offense using the run game. I love Forte, but he is no Adrian Peterson who can carry an offense running the ball. Forte is lethal because he is well rounded and can run routes and catch a ball like to other RB I have seen. This is why I was excited to see a Trestman offense, now I feel like an idiot for believing in it.

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Yeah I trust Fox as well, I have always liked him as a coach. I hope we can find our future QB as well, and really want the staff we have now to find that guy. I really don't care if we have Cutler for a couple more years. I do understand the hate for the guy around here, because he seems like an ass and makes shitty decisions at crucial points in a game. However, he is a middle of the pack QB and we need to improve at a lot of other positions first.

If he was actually getting paid what he deserved I wouldn't have a problem with Cutler at all. Basically we would have significantly more money to spend on the defense.

I do believe Fox will try to mitigate the damage Cutler can do by running the ball more. We will just have to see if Forte and the Oline can carry the offense using the run game. I love Forte, but he is no Adrian Peterson who can carry an offense running the ball. Forte is lethal because he is well rounded and can run routes and catch a ball like to other RB I have seen. This is why I was excited to see a Trestman offense, now I feel like an idiot for believing in it.

I feel Trestman's offense could have worked, the defense a lot of times put the offense behind the 8-ball. If the defense was stronger and could have forced more 3 and outs than a turnover prone Cutler would have been ok because the team would have had the confidence in the defense to step up. But when the defense was garbage and the offense wasn't sustaining drives and/or turning the ball over that offense went to hell. I think with a more efficient QB that offense would have been fine with the defense in place. By then end of the year, Trestman lost the trust of the locker room and he was playing so safe he became predictable.

I think Baltimore will see a much improved offense with Trestman as their OC because Harbaugh has that teams full confidence and has a solid defense in place.

strobiwan

Liked Posts:
I don't care who the coaching staff is. the bottom line is you, just cant trust Cutler.
99 out of a 100 times, Cutler will throw the ball in to triple coverage rather than just throwing it out of bounds, when there is no play.
I hope the new coaching staff figures it out quik and benches him as soon as he pulls that shit.

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
I don't care who the coaching staff is. the bottom line is you, just cant trust Cutler.
99 out of a 100 times, Cutler will throw the ball in to triple coverage rather than just throwing it out of bounds, when there is no play.
I hope the new coaching staff figures it out quik and benches him as soon as he pulls that shit.

For whom?

Can you trust Claussen so much more based on his storied NFL career?
just want the staff to choose the best option at QB this yr to help develop the other players; who cares if it is Cutler this yr; it won't be Cantler when we are playing for titles again.
I

strobiwan

Liked Posts:
For whom?

Can you trust Claussen so much more based on his storied NFL career?
just want the staff to choose the best option at QB this yr to help develop the other players; who cares if it is Cutler this yr; it won't be Cantler when we are playing for titles again.
I
honestly I don't know about Claussen or Fales or what ever rookie we draft.
all iam saying is if you expect different results from Cutler.
how does that saying about insanity go?

Dagman310

Liked Posts:
I think most fans were wowed by the Chargers game in 2011, but up to that point, he was the same inconsistent QB. He just wasn't turning it over as much.

Is that the one where he broke his finger chasing down the interception?

Liked Posts:
Is that the one where he broke his finger chasing down the interception?

That was ALL on Knox. Dude slipped on his route & then wouldn't battle for the ball when he had the chance. He & Hester's lack of route concepts really hurt Cutler before Marshall came around.

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
honestly I don't know about Claussen or Fales or what ever rookie we draft.
all iam saying is if you expect different results from Cutler.
how does that saying about insanity go?

Ya, I don't EXPECT the Bears to win many games this yr. Maybe that is where there is a miscommunication between us/clash between our two perspectives.

I am not even sure we'll be all that good in 2016. This isn't a team on the edge of contending for titles guys.

Cutler is a mediocre, inconsistent QB and has almost always been that. That doesn't mean he won't be our best option in 2015 and perhaps at the beginning of 2016 even.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Ya, I don't EXPECT the Bears to win many games this yr. Maybe that is where there is a miscommunication between us/clash between our two perspectives.

I am not even sure we'll be all that good in 2016. This isn't a team on the edge of contending for titles guys.

Cutler is a mediocre, inconsistent QB and has almost always been that. That doesn't mean he won't be our best option in 2015 and perhaps at the beginning of 2016 even.

Are you implying he's our best option at not being very good?

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
Are you implying he's our best option at not being very good?

I am suggesting that your best option may not be very good.

That's true for lots of teams in the NFL at lots of positions.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
I am suggesting that your best option may not be very good.

That's true for lots of teams in the NFL at lots of positions.

QB is usually the first to get replaced when things aren't going well.

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:

If there is a better option, sure. Welcome to the world of rational decision making. I fully expect Cantler to be replaced by mid-2016 btw.

Jester

White Guy
Liked Posts:
I feel Trestman's offense could have worked, the defense a lot of times put the offense behind the 8-ball. If the defense was stronger and could have forced more 3 and outs than a turnover prone Cutler would have been ok because the team would have had the confidence in the defense to step up. But when the defense was garbage and the offense wasn't sustaining drives and/or turning the ball over that offense went to hell. I think with a more efficient QB that offense would have been fine with the defense in place. By then end of the year, Trestman lost the trust of the locker room and he was playing so safe he became predictable.

I think Baltimore will see a much improved offense with Trestman as their OC because Harbaugh has that teams full confidence and has a solid defense in place.

I agree, the terrible defense just compounded the problem with Cutler. Bears were always in a position from playing behind and having to throw the ball. If we actually upgrade our defense significantly the offense could be much more effective with Cutler obviously. I do believe that this staff is already a HUGE upgrade to the defense. Our players looked terrible, but I want to see that after a year under this new staff before I'm sold they are that bad.

I agree wit you on Baltimore as well. Trestman was a terrible head coach, but I think he will be fine in Baltimore as OC. He won't be in a position where he can have a locker room disrespect him since Harbaugh is there.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
If there is a better option, sure. Welcome to the world of rational decision making.

Well...when your QB is not good...the decision is easy.

Goes to show how incompetent Emery was as a GM.

Jester

White Guy
Liked Posts:

During the game or offseason? We have far greater problems than Cutler right now, and just getting rid of Cutler isn't making you better.

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
Well...when your QB is not good...the decision is easy.

Goes to show how incompetent Emery was as a GM.

The decision is easy how?

Do you have a better option?

What is the associated costs of that option/those options?

What are you proximate and ultimate goals and how do/would those costs and benefits of a change affect the pursuit of said goals.

Again, welcome to the world of rational decision making. I would hope the goals of this regime are more in line with getting a Lombardi Trophy here in Chi. in a timely manner than with spazzing out over Cutler being mediocre and in fact being our best option at QB in 2015, if that was the case.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
The decision is easy how?

Do you have a better option?

What is the associated costs of that option/those options?

What are you proximate and ultimate goals and how do/would those costs and benefits of a change affect the pursuit of said goals.

Again, welcome to the world of rational decision making.

I guess you didn't read the second half of my post