Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bleacher Nation and friends seem to agree that this makes next to no sense for the Cubs and for Fujikawa. Probably just due diligence.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bleacher Nation and friends seem to agree that this makes next to no sense for the Cubs and for Fujikawa. Probably just due diligence.
Really the article Bleacher Nation put out pointed out several reasons why it makes sense for the Cubs and Fujikawa. It isn't a perfect fit for both, but there are a lot positives for each side. For the Cubs it is a chance to add a player with 6 years of control and another flippable asset for just cash. For Fujikawa the Cubs offer one of the few chances to be made a closer right away compared to most contenders that would have him as a set up or lower guy to start. I agree that the Dodgers or Rangers are more likely to offer more, but this move does make sense for the Cubs as well.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think it only makes sense if the money is on the low end. Otherwise you're committing the bulk of a rebuilding payroll to a closer you don't actually need because you have no games to close.

But I don't run the team :cubstroll2:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think it only makes sense if the money is on the low end. Otherwise you're committing the bulk of a rebuilding payroll to a closer you don't actually need because you have no games to close.

But I don't run the team :cubstroll2:

I agree that it isn't the perfect fit, but I was more commenting on what BleacherNation was saying. Reading the article I got a very different read than you.

As far as personal opinion, I agree that it isn't ideal, but I think that given the risks of the change from NPB to Major Leagues will keep bidding lower. And the Cubs are willing to be involved in any asset that they feel is undervalued.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm going to suggest that this particular asset is not undervalued considering the potential competition for his services.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm going to suggest that this particular asset is not undervalued considering the potential competition for his services.
Probably not given the way that the Dodgers are going, but I think we won't know until the market actually develops. EIther way I see why the Cubs would be involved.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dont see him coming to a 100 loss team at his age. I also think he goes to a contender

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fujikawa apparently visiting with the Angels right now. The Cubs are at a disadvantage due to various factors including the relatively contender status, the Asian population along the West Coast that may be more amenable to a Japanese expat, and the fact that Wrigleyville street vendors sell some fucking stupid T-shirts.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dont see him coming to the Cubs. To many teams interested

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would say that it would be incredibly surprising if the Cubs signed this guy and didn't splurge on other marquee free agents as well, because a potentially elite closer on this team makes almost no sense.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bob (Foley Al.)

Why would the Cubs be interested in a 32 year old free agent closer from Japan?

Bruce Levine (1:15 PM)

The Cubs have two full-time scouts that cover the Pacific Rim. Solidifying the bullpen is something that would make sense for them, especially if there is more interest in Marmol as the offseason progresses.

:shrug:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

I think the theory is that he could be undervalued if he can come in and be an elite level closer. The contracts that real closers get are ridiculous, and so he could be a flippable asset depending on the price tag. Given the Dodgers Yankee impression I am not certain it will happen that way, but I think that is why the Cubs are involved.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree that they are trying to get him on the cheap. He will most likely not be cheap :lol:

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
What'd you pay him? We already have one near-useless high-priced closer :lol:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
What'd you pay him? We already have one near-useless high-priced closer :lol:
I look at it in terms of buying talent. Given the teams that are interested it doesn't seem like he is going to command 10 million a year.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I look at it in terms of buying talent. Given the teams that are interested it doesn't seem like he is going to command 10 million a year.

Well, to look at it another way...let's say the Cubs were to sign him for a couple years at $8MM or less per year. They will inevitably stink in 2013 and teams will look to trade for Fuji here. What do you expect to get in return for that investment? You're basically looking at an expenditure of about $15MM or more on the off chance that you can score two scrubs that might turn into lottery tickets. In my opinion it's not worth it. This is like when they were sort of in on guys like Ryu...yeah, you got him, now what? Are you also going to hope that he does well while the rest of the team blows, or are you going to continue spending to surround him with talent to take advantage of his production while he's still young and doesn't suck? Or perhaps I'm not seeing the forest for the trees, I dunno. Just seems like a waste of money to blow on a closer. If they were to blow money, I want them to spend on starting pitching, and worry about the bullpen later.