Larry Legend Underrated?

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Lol that’s your logic. He averaged 5 to 6 assist a season. That was as a 6’9 small forward
No, it goes to my point that he needed a fucking point guard. D Rose has not averaged 5-6 per season, so dumping the ball down to McHale or Parrish earns him a legend title? Yeah, he could shoot, and he also passed the ball, but he was not going to take the ball from the end line and run the offense. He needed a point guard to do that.
Keep the insults going, it does not prove your point.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Len Bias dying was probably the slightly premature death of that team.

Bias not dying, and Bird and McHale are able to get more rest, maybe Bird doesn't blow out his back, Celtics are probably more viable down the stretch and maybe the Lakers don't win in 87, the Pistons never get out of the East and the Celtics are more a foe for the Bulls in the early 90s. Even in our timeline, the Celtics still won 56 games and a 2nd seed in 1992. They lost to Cleveland in 7 games in the second round.
Bird blew out his back working at home so that was going to happen either way. McHale's foot was messed up in 1987...does he mess it up if Bias is around? I don't know but I know for sure he'd keep playing on it, truncating his career.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Bird blew out his back working at home so that was going to happen either way.
Wasn't he fixing his tractor?

My favorite thing about the Magic v Bird documentary was that Bird would have hundreds of people show up at his house on a Saturday morning to watch him cut the grass.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
No, it goes to my point that he needed a fucking point guard. D Rose has not averaged 5-6 per season, so dumping the ball down to McHale or Parrish earns him a legend title? Yeah, he could shoot, and he also passed the ball, but he was not going to take the ball from the end line and run the offense. He needed a point guard to do that.
I just truly do not understand the point, if any, that you are trying to make.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
How old are you? I'm not sure you watched those Celtic teams.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Bird blew out his back working at home so that was going to happen either way. McHale's foot was messed up in 1987...does he mess it up if Bias is around? I don't know but I know for sure he'd keep playing on it, truncating his career.
Never knew how Bird initially hurt his back. Always assumed it was playing in the late 80s when he started missing time due to his back. Says he hurt his back redoing the gravel on his moms driveway in 1985. Can you imagine an NBA player do his own gravel work today? lol. So Bird may have still been messed up, but with Bias, he could have also played less games/minutes overall. The team would rely on him less in the regular season. Of course those guys didn't have today's mentality of rest, so perhaps nothing changes at all as Bird & McHale demand to keep their regular minutes and playing through injuries.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
? (<-I hate this shrug emoji, looks so.... generic phone preset kind of lame, @zack54attack )

Shit happens. People do house work all the time. Players get hurt training, playing the game, and people get hurt building barns. How he got hurt doesn't mean that he just doesn't do that one thing and suddenly he never gets hurt. The probability of him reaching greatness by not doing these kinds of things are just as much a great argument. Hindsight all the way, but nevertheless. LOL

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Like that he was good at it or know one ever talking about it?
I don't recall ever hearing him praised for defense. Nor do I recall any criticism that he played James Harden style - offense only.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Watched a video on Youtube the other day (how I stumbled on it I don't know), but Bird and Celtics were playing Portland, and had a game against the Lakers two days later.

Bird told his teammates he was going to play the Portland game lefthanded and "save his right hand" for the Lakers.

He passed left handed, blocked a shot early left handed, and shot 10 of his 21 made FGs with his left hand, as he had a triple double with 47 points.

That may be a well known story to some - I didn't know that before. How can you not love Larry Legend?

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I know stats don't tell the whole story or necessarily indicate whether someone is really good at defense, but Bird did average nearly 2 steals and a block per game for his entire career, so he couldn't have been that bad right?

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I know stats don't tell the whole story or necessarily indicate whether someone is really good at defense, but Bird did average nearly 2 steals and a block per game for his entire career, so he couldn't have been that bad right?
Bird also made 2nd All-D from 82-84.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Advanced defensive metrics are weird, and I'm really not too sure much stock can be put into them. Here's an article that I know I've posted here before, and it's a little dated, but when Kawhi was with the Spurs during the 16-17 season the Spurs were actually worse with him on the floor. And there are the guys like Carlos Boozer, who was an awful 1-1 defender, but his advanced defensive metrics were great because he was a great team defender.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Advanced defensive metrics are weird, and I'm really not too sure much stock can be put into them. Here's an article that I know I've posted here before, and it's a little dated, but when Kawhi was with the Spurs during the 16-17 season the Spurs were actually worse with him on the floor. And there are the guys like Carlos Boozer, who was an awful 1-1 defender, but his advanced defensive metrics were great because he was a great team defender.

Boozer's "GET DAT" and "GRAB DAT JO" were what made him so highly rated.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
That's an appropriate reaction to every one of his posts.
I just don't get this obsession with point guards. This isn't the first time he's brought this up.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Most of us don't.

Very Hawk-like, wouldn't ya say?

The real test would be determining whether or not Carmelo Anthony is indeed, a shooting guard. I don't think we can solve such a complex question in one day, but if he could be a SG and if he could bring the ball up the 10 second line, does that qualify him as a sub-par point guard, more than an excellent combo forward?