Leader Pernell McPhee Making Major Impact For Bears

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/10/14/emma-leader-pernell-mcphees-making-major-impact-for-bears/

LAKE FOREST, Ill. (CBS) — What truly makes a leader?

The concept of leadership is written in books, discussed in lectures and fancied by those who aspire to lead. Bears linebacker Pernell McPhee was asked about leadership on Wednesday, and he took a moment to ponder it.

“It’s hard work,” McPhee said. “When you put in hard work, automatically, you’re a leader. When you do everything you need to do and be on time, you’re a leader. That’s the best way to explain it.”

McPhee is the Bears’ gold standard of leading by example. His work ethic is tireless and passion is palpable. It didn’t take long for teammates to take notice, and the newcomer was named a team captain in his first season with Chicago.

What McPhee sees of himself is what he hopes others do, too.

“I’m just a guy who comes to work, goes hard and guys just feed off of that,” McPhee said. “They see it and just do the same thing.”

Leadership is something the Bears were desperately missing in 2014, when their 5-11 season went into a spiral. It can often be a concept wrongly placed in sports, but the Bears lost their locker room when leadership failed around Marc Trestman’s regime. The puzzle was dismantled, so Chicago began to rebuild.

When rookie general manager Ryan Pace brought in McPhee from Baltimore, he knew the linebacker was a physical freak and terrific talent, but the traits that came along were just what the Bears needed. Through five games, McPhee has 26 tackles, which is one shy of a career-high, plus three sacks and an interception. He never was allowed a chance to make an every-down impact with the Ravens, so coming to Chicago brought a new opportunity.

While McPhee is a vocal guy, his words are met with actions on the field. Before he blocked a field goal in Sunday’s win over Kansas City, McPhee pulled Kyle Long aside and vowed to make a big play.

“He grabbed me,” Long said. “He looked me in the eyes and was like, ‘We’re (going to) get this ball back. You just get your boys ready.’ I was like, ‘You heard the man. Get ready, guys, stay loose, Pernell’s going to get the ball back.’ And, sure enough.”

It was McPhee who helped change the game in Chicago’s come-from-behind 18-17 win, the same way his stop on third-and-2 against the Raiders a week prior gave the Bears a chance for a fourth-quarter comeback on the final drive.

At 6-foot-3 and 275 pounds, McPhee is an intimidating presence who vows to be “violent” — his word –and then brings it to Vic Fangio’s defense.

“He’s physical, he’s tough,” Fangio said. “He has some emotional energy to him.”

The night before the Bears’ win over Oakland, McPhee rallied his teammates with a passionate speech. He had the players lock arms and spoke of sharing a belief. McPhee felt their 0-3 start to the season was something they could overcome, then he went out and changed the game.

What makes McPhee so important for the Bears is the way he works in practice, in the weight room, in the film room and anywhere else that can make his team better. He spent time helping linebacker LaRoy Reynolds learn the playbook after he joined the team on Sept. 29. Two games later, Reynolds was called upon to play middle linebacker against the Chiefs and filled in well. He then credited McPhee for his guidance.

McPhee is just being himself, with his example serving as something that leads the Bears. He quickly became the Bears’ rock — the kind of teammate they cherish.

“I don’t want to let anybody down in my life,” he said. “When I let them down, I let myself down. When it comes to football, I choose not to let nobody down.”

Novoitus

Mitch Trubisky Fan
Liked Posts:
talk about a free agent acquisition. from the disappointment of Houston and Allen to this guy.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
He's still young and has already shown to be good in zone.

AussieBear

Sounds like they are talking about Ray Lewis in that article - minus the fatness.. oh, he followed and learned from Ray Lewis you say.. talk about having a mentor that was a real general... but you gotta give credit to the horse for drinking the water.

im down with mcphee even though he aintz no coknowback

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Guys can run their mouths on the sideline and lock arms or whatever the fuck. But its what they do on the field that gives their words weight and authority. McPhee has been following through and has gained that authority. Its kind of a big deal because how desperate the D was for some leadership.

The big picture though, is that the D is establishing an identity. So thats good.

BeardownMinden

Liked Posts:
This guy was exactly what we needed. Someone to step up and fill the void after Urlacher and Briggs left. You could just see it last year, no one on that D was a real "leader" Tillman was always the lead by example kind of guy but sometimes you just need someone to get in peoples faces and yell. He's been a beast so far, if he keeps it up I may have finally found a new jersey to get.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/10/14/emma-leader-pernell-mcphees-making-major-impact-for-bears/

LAKE FOREST, Ill. (CBS) — What truly makes a leader?

The concept of leadership is written in books, discussed in lectures and fancied by those who aspire to lead. Bears linebacker Pernell McPhee was asked about leadership on Wednesday, and he took a moment to ponder it.

“It’s hard work,” McPhee said. “When you put in hard work, automatically, you’re a leader. When you do everything you need to do and be on time, you’re a leader. That’s the best way to explain it.”

McPhee is the Bears’ gold standard of leading by example. His work ethic is tireless and passion is palpable. It didn’t take long for teammates to take notice, and the newcomer was named a team captain in his first season with Chicago.

What McPhee sees of himself is what he hopes others do, too.

“I’m just a guy who comes to work, goes hard and guys just feed off of that,” McPhee said. “They see it and just do the same thing.”

Leadership is something the Bears were desperately missing in 2014, when their 5-11 season went into a spiral. It can often be a concept wrongly placed in sports, but the Bears lost their locker room when leadership failed around Marc Trestman’s regime. The puzzle was dismantled, so Chicago began to rebuild.

When rookie general manager Ryan Pace brought in McPhee from Baltimore, he knew the linebacker was a physical freak and terrific talent, but the traits that came along were just what the Bears needed. Through five games, McPhee has 26 tackles, which is one shy of a career-high, plus three sacks and an interception. He never was allowed a chance to make an every-down impact with the Ravens, so coming to Chicago brought a new opportunity.

While McPhee is a vocal guy, his words are met with actions on the field. Before he blocked a field goal in Sunday’s win over Kansas City, McPhee pulled Kyle Long aside and vowed to make a big play.

“He grabbed me,” Long said. “He looked me in the eyes and was like, ‘We’re (going to) get this ball back. You just get your boys ready.’ I was like, ‘You heard the man. Get ready, guys, stay loose, Pernell’s going to get the ball back.’ And, sure enough.”

It was McPhee who helped change the game in Chicago’s come-from-behind 18-17 win, the same way his stop on third-and-2 against the Raiders a week prior gave the Bears a chance for a fourth-quarter comeback on the final drive.

At 6-foot-3 and 275 pounds, McPhee is an intimidating presence who vows to be “violent” — his word –and then brings it to Vic Fangio’s defense.

“He’s physical, he’s tough,” Fangio said. “He has some emotional energy to him.”

The night before the Bears’ win over Oakland, McPhee rallied his teammates with a passionate speech. He had the players lock arms and spoke of sharing a belief. McPhee felt their 0-3 start to the season was something they could overcome, then he went out and changed the game.

What makes McPhee so important for the Bears is the way he works in practice, in the weight room, in the film room and anywhere else that can make his team better. He spent time helping linebacker LaRoy Reynolds learn the playbook after he joined the team on Sept. 29. Two games later, Reynolds was called upon to play middle linebacker against the Chiefs and filled in well. He then credited McPhee for his guidance.

McPhee is just being himself, with his example serving as something that leads the Bears. He quickly became the Bears’ rock — the kind of teammate they cherish.

“I don’t want to let anybody down in my life,” he said. “When I let them down, I let myself down. When it comes to football, I choose not to let nobody down.”

Good stuff and awesome to hear of how much of a leader he is and how his teammates follow his lead. I mean going to K.Long and telling him you're gonna get the ball back and then doing it the way he did is just awesome.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Boers and Bernstien from the 12th has the audio of Kyle Long doing his Pernell McPhee impersonation of the get the ball back quote and it is the most priceless thing ever.

Bernstien who has given McPhee a hard time for his "I am violent" quote from his opening press conference, finally admitted that "Pernell McPhee is as violent as advertised."

Moon Mullin was on and he said, and I paraphrase,

Moon: "This team is too scared to quit."

Boers: "What do you mean scared?"

Moon: "They are too scared of Pernell McPhee to quit in a game."

I was smiling as I heard it.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Boers and Bernstien from the 12th has the audio of Kyle Long doing his Pernell McPhee impersonation of the get the ball back quote and it is the most priceless thing ever.

Bernstien who has given McPhee a hard time for his "I am violent" quote from his opening press conference, finally admitted that "Pernell McPhee is as violent as advertised."

Moon Mullin was on and he said, and I paraphrase,

Moon: "This team is too scared to quit."

Boers: "What do you mean scared?"

Moon: "They are too scared of Pernell McPhee to quit in a game."

I was smiling as I heard it.

Video interview with Long and said impersonation is on the official website. Around 8 minutes long

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
McPhee is 1 tackle shy of his career high of 27 and has already set a new career high for solo tackles with 21.

For a statistical comparison this is how McPhee stacks up with J.J. Watt.

McPhee - 26 combined tackles - 21 solo - 5 ast - 3 sacks, 1 Pdef, 1 INT, 12 hurries
Watt - 26 combined tackles - 19 solo - 7 ast - 4 sacks, 4 Pdef, 6 hurries

McPhee's 12 hurries are third in the NFL behind Justin Houston (18) and Fangio's former star pupil Aldon Smith (14)

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[video=youtube;lSPNQ82Sq4E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSPNQ82Sq4E[/video]