Learn from the Mets, don't hire Quade!

Lex L.

Liked Posts:
There's no fan approved mandate to go up or down or stay the same. Ricketts can tell Jim to what to be at payroll wise.. It's his millions of dollars.

That's just what it is.

The pressure just doesnt come from fans, you, dink. It also comes from the players and players union. If you have an economic model for a league of 30 teams where money gets funneled to 6 or 7 teams and one of those teams suddenly decides it wants to be like the Marlins, its not hard to see where that would cause rancor amongst the players. Conceivably, it could drive up the price to bring in FAs for the Cubs in particular in the future. It would be the players colluding against the Cubs because theyre collecting the money like fatcats and not spending it.

Beyond that, the Cubs have a bad habit of only spending when theyre ready. If you want to bitch about things not working out so well, maybe you should stop overlooking letting Hendry be the one spending the money and also going on spending sprees like they did in 2006 and then use 2006 as an excuse not to improve their team.

Opportunities to improve your team dont avial themselves only when youre ready. Thats how you end up settling and overspending every 3, or 4 offseasons.

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The pressure just doesnt come from fans, you, dink. It also comes from the players and players union. If you have an economic model for a league of 30 teams where money gets funneled to 6 or 7 teams and one of those teams suddenly decides it wants to be like the Marlins, its not hard to see where that would cause rancor amongst the players. Conceivably, it could drive up the price to bring in FAs for the Cubs in particular in the future. It would be the players colluding against the Cubs because theyre collecting the money like fatcats and not spending it.

Beyond that, the Cubs have a bad habit of only spending when theyre ready. If you want to bitch about things not working out so well, maybe you should stop overlooking letting Hendry be the one spending the money and also going on spending sprees like they did in 2006 and then use 2006 as an excuse not to improve their team.

Sure.. because players have all the leverage in going to teams.. what happens if nobody is a buyer? Whats the players or the union going to do for that matter?

Tribune told Hendry to spend. That's been well documented.

Btw.. I like the
800px-MCQ-rancor.jpg
reference you threw in there.. Well done on that at least.

Last edited:

Lex L.

Liked Posts:
Sure.. because players have all the leverage in going to teams.. what happens if nobody is a buyer? Whats the players or the union going to do for that matter?

Tribune told Hendry to spend. That's been well documented.

Btw.. I like the
800px-MCQ-rancor.jpg
reference you threw in there.. Well done on that at least.

They would sue for collision and in all likelihood would win. Just like before.

Yeah, Hendry spent. Is the issue spending or spending well?

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They would sue for collision and in all likelihood would win. Just like before.

Yeah, Hendry spent. Is the issue spending or spending well?

Goodluck with that lawsuit..

With any employer's logic..

If a candidate for hire wants too much you don't have to hire.. There's no issue with collusion about it.

Hendry didn't spend well before we all know this.. Some of it was added on with Tribune backing.. Like giving Soriano the extra 2 years to the deal. That has been noted..

Spending wisely is not just throwing 50 million+ as a total contract at a player who is more than likely 30+ years old.

It is spending and getting players to fill holes.. For example.. Dunn can probably go ahead and book it for about 10-14 mill per year.

For a somewhat similar player.. Albeit not quite as good but in WAR over the past 3 seasons.. LaRoche is similar to Dunn.. You could possibly save around 10 mill a year signing LaRoche as a stopgap player.

Just throwing money at players like Dunn (which I know is your point.. as it has been for like a month) may not be the smartest thing to do at this direct point in time.

I'm not saying I don't want Dunn.. I think any fan would take the pure offensive production.. Just fiscally at this point.. You do have to pick your spots.. and you don't HAVE to overspend every few offseasons.. Going back in time a few years.. I'm willing to bet if the Trib didn't tell Hendry to buy a playoff contender for a few years.. We'd have about a 70-85 million payroll..

Lex L.

Liked Posts:
Goodluck with that lawsuit..

With any employer's logic..

If a candidate for hire wants too much you don't have to hire.. There's no issue with collusion about it.

Hendry didn't spend well before we all know this.. Some of it was added on with Tribune backing.. Like giving Soriano the extra 2 years to the deal. That has been noted..

Spending wisely is not just throwing 50 million+ as a total contract at a player who is more than likely 30+ years old.

It is spending and getting players to fill holes.. For example.. Dunn can probably go ahead and book it for about 10-14 mill per year.

For a somewhat similar player.. Albeit not quite as good but in WAR over the past 3 seasons.. LaRoche is similar to Dunn.. You could possibly save around 10 mill a year signing LaRoche as a stopgap player.

Just throwing money at players like Dunn (which I know is your point.. as it has been for like a month) may not be the smartest thing to do at this direct point in time.

I'm not saying I don't want Dunn.. I think any fan would take the pure offensive production.. Just fiscally at this point.. You do have to pick your spots.. and you don't HAVE to overspend every few offseasons.. Going back in time a few years.. I'm willing to bet if the Trib didn't tell Hendry to buy a playoff contender for a few years.. We'd have about a 70-85 million payroll..

Luck? Guess again. Theres precedent. You might want to google Tim Raines.

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Luck? Guess again. Theres precedent. You might want to google Tim Raines.

haha so because out of several hundred "lawsuits" in the past 40 years of accusations of collusion a dozen that were actually given winnings for them... Good for them..

Realistically nowhere in my point am I pointing towards collusion.. Not even close.. Just stating that the negotiating power isn't always with the player.

Unless its the NBA.. Thats a whole different thread though.