Leonard Floyd Ready for a Breakout Season?

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
At this point, we might have to accept that Floyd is what he is. Solid in all aspects, not remarkable in any. Which is fine. Need those guys.

Like Alex Smith. Remember when Lovie kept trying to replace him for no apparent reason?

Alex Brown @botfly10 and yes lovie eventually replaced him with Mark Anderson and it flopped

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
What type of breakout? Double digit sacks? I don't think so.

I think he is a 7-8 sack guy who is solid in run defense and won't kill you in coverage.

If he can be that, I will be happy.
I'm confident Floyd can be a double-digit sack guy.

I remember watching him knock a big Tackle backwards and thinking 'Damn, he's strong too, or gets some really good leverage!' That's when he was playing at 235-240.

Plus, he did have 7 sacks his rookie year. And that was without Mack on the opposite side.

My only concern is if he can stay healthy. He's had the concussion, hand and knee (guy rolled up on him from behind, not Floyd's fault, any player would have had that injury or worse). Playing with his hand cast and on into the end of last season he stayed healthy. I think the extra muscle will help him stay healthy. There's a decent chance the injuries are behind him.

With Mack, Hicks, Goldman, Nichols and RRH, I think Floyd could easily get into the teens this year.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Anything above & beyond last season is just gravy to this DEF.

Valid reasons and experts (NOT media blowhards - actual coaches) is reason to be optimistic.

Bears don't even need Floyd to be another Mack. His range & coverage skills are a huge benefit, even if not evident on the stats.

If only the puss refs would let him throw QBs down & not expect a damn pillow with a chocolate on it for each sack.

jbunch14

Liked Posts:
My 600 lb life probably makes fat people feel good aboot themselves, as in at least they don’t have to take a shower with the hose in the backyard because they can’t fit in the bathtub or at least they don’t need 14 firefighters to carry them out of the house.

Reported for fat shaming. Fatties are people too.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
This is such a tired storyline.

I like Floyd. He is a good NFL OLB. He was 24 years old as a rookie and is already in his athletic prime. He is not the pass-rushing demon that Ryan Pace bizarrely projected him to be...he wasn't that player in college, he hasn't been that player in the NFL, and the odds are that he won't magically turn into that player at age 27.

I think even if Floyd sees an uptick in his sack total in 2019 (i.e. more than 4, LOL), it will be due to circumstance/luck and not really an indication of Floyd's superior individual skill.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
It’s crazy to still be reading that coaches think he can be special. Not good, special. A guy going into his 4th season and yet to “breakout”... special? The guy who coached Suggs in college and the pros thinks so. I’m guessing he hasn’t talked to anyone on CCS lol.

Leonard Floyd is bigger than he was a year ago. He’s stronger. And, most importantly, he’s healthy. That all added up to him being the most head-turning player on the field during the Bears’ offseason program.
If things go right, it could prove to be a launching point for a breakout season for the 2016 first-round draft pick. Last year Floyd lined up opposite All-Pro Khalil Mack but collected only four sacks, in part because a hand injury hampered him the first half of the season.
The Bears didn’t hesitate in picking up the fifth-year option in Floyd’s contract — for $13.22 million in 2020 — and they will gladly pay him that if he emerges as a disruptive force on the outside. Right now, that option is guaranteed for injury only and he is going to have to earn it with his performance in 2019.
Floyd arrived as a 6-foot-4 athletic freak when he was drafted out of Georgia and played at around 235 pounds as a rookie. Now he’s listed at 251 and is every bit of that, explaining that buying into what sports science coordinator Jenn Gibson has been preaching has helped him bulk up. Stand next to him and size him up and it’s easy to tell he’s thicker in the upper body.
He was recovering from knee surgery last offseason and didn’t get on the field until training camp, when he was operating with a knee brace. A healthy offseason has been the key. The Bears believe Floyd is a star waiting to happen, especially with Mack certain to attract so much attention on the other side. They’re counting on new outside linebackers coach Ted Monachino, who tutored Terrell Suggs at Arizona State and with the Ravens, to help unlock that potential.
Floyd has been working to create a better “rush plan” for getting to the quarterback with effective counter measures to use off his natural gift of speed and explosiveness. Better counters can turn pressures into sacks, or better yet strip-sacks, and rushes that were once stymied can become pressures. It’s about the little things in Monachino’s estimation.
“As he gets better at one or two things, his numbers will go up,” Monachino said. “(What) may happen first are the effective rushes, right? He may affect the quarterback. He may affect the launch point. He may move a guy off the spot. But the more of those that come along, the more productive rushes he’s going to have. The more he’s going to get home and finish. Right now we’re focused on just a couple of things with Leonard. And it’s not because he can’t handle more. It’s because we want to build his toolbox in a way that, ‘This is my go-to, and this is the counter off of it.’”
So Floyd spent time on the practice field working on his hand placement. He can be a violent rusher if he attacks the right spot on the offensive lineman. Hit the wrong spot and a bigger, stronger offensive tackle is going to wall him off. Balance and footwork are equally important parts of the equation. He has always played with good pad level for being tall and rangy.
“Being violent and just going out with a mindset of getting to the quarterback,” said Floyd, who had a career-high seven sacks as a rookie. “I have to sharpen my tools. It’s been very different because I have been able to train and do all of the things with no limitations this spring.
“I believe I was playing my best football during the second half of last year after I really got over my hand injury. I felt like I was playing a lot better and I am looking forward to this year and just building off of that.”

The rest is in the Link, including Trevathan suggesting Floyd might demand a double team?
He made huge strides last season that so many on here fail to see. I would not be surprised if he has a huge season

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Great building block but not a key stone. That's quite acceptable for where he got picked but not more than that. He may have that big season this year but it will come from the greater general disruption created by a more aggressive D.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
It's 13 mil, and it is not giving him a contract after he sucked. It is his rookie contract, with a 5th year option. It is only guaranteed against injury.

You are losing it. You should go on a trip to Asia, or Africa.

No surprise omelet did not read OP link again.
nah, Dominican Republic

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
He made huge strides last season that so many on here fail to see. I would not be surprised if he has a huge season

Leonard Floyd is nothing like Terrell Suggs, so not sure why/how that is relevant. John Fox coached Peyton Manning, no one thought Mike Glennon was Peyton Manning.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
Anything above & beyond last season is just gravy to this DEF.

Valid reasons and experts (NOT media blowhards - actual coaches) is reason to be optimistic.

Bears don't even need Floyd to be another Mack. His range & coverage skills are a huge benefit, even if not evident on the stats.

If only the puss refs would let him throw QBs down & not expect a damn pillow with a chocolate on it for each sack.

Yeah, let's just settle for Floyd because the defense is good already, and we should let him ride the coattails to another huge contract. No point in getting another good pass rusher and having the defense go from best in the NFL 2019 to legendary 2000 Baltimore or '85 Bears caliber.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If he plays like he did the 2nd half of the season when the club came off then sign him long term.

That version of Leonard Floyd is someone that is a difference maker on defense even if he only gets 7-8 sacks a season.

Anthony Barr just got 13/season and is worse pass rusher, worse in coverage, and similar against the run.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Anthony Barr just got 13/season and is worse pass rusher, worse in coverage, and similar against the run.

Barr's 2018 rankings among stand up LBs...
  • 2nd in yards allowed per coverage snap,
  • 3rd in targets per coverage snap,
  • 3rd in catches allowed per coverage snap,
  • 1st in pass rushing productivity, and
  • 15th in run defense grade.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
If he plays like he did the 2nd half of the season when the club came off then sign him long term.

That version of Leonard Floyd is someone that is a difference maker on defense even if he only gets 7-8 sacks a season.

I don't know...

This season, watch the disparity in play between Roquan Smith and Leonard Floyd. One guy is really intense, has savoir-faire, and is flinging himself around the field getting tackles.

The other guy falls down a lot, is easily taken outta plays, and sometimes takes himself outta plays.

Yes. I do know they play different positions, but check the intensity.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
If he isn't already at his ceiling then he's damn close. At this point anything like a "break out season" would have more to do with how he is being used than any improvement in his game.

He's good enough to re-sign if he stays healthy and the price is right. Otherwise he's a guy who's production can be replaced while the Bears try to stay out of cap hell and keep the guys who can't be replaced.