Let's address the elephant in the room: The lack of air yards

gobullschi

Liked Posts:
You grade an offense by points scorer, not passing yards. It’s that simple.

mecha

Liked Posts:
I'm not turning my head sideways to watch your video because the poster stole it from TV and they're avoiding getting pinched by YouTube. thanks

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
Yesterday was the first game in weeks where he actually took bad hits. He gets hurt more in the pocket because they cant pass pro long enough for the mediocre receiving talent to get open.

Maybe spend less time obsessing over me and @MikeDitkaPolishSausage and start watching the Bears games?
So this is what it’s like living in Los Angeles and feeling famous. Move aside Behivers, the Dickeys are taking over. Thanks to my number 1 supporter, @dabears70

Bust

Liked Posts:
I'm not turning my head sideways to watch your video because the poster stole it from TV and they're avoiding getting pinched by YouTube. thanks

it was a re upload from another source obviously. Think it was done to circumvent youtubes football algorithm maybe? don't know the in and outs of what youtube uploaders go thru but one thing is for sure. Most every NFL upload these days start with the black screen, lol. NFL wants their copyright blah blah blah already making zillions in profits. Goodell makes the nfl big bucks, $$$

mecha

Liked Posts:
it was a re upload from another source obviously. Think it was done to circumvent youtubes football algorithm maybe? don't know the in and outs of what youtube uploaders go thru but one thing is for sure. Most every NFL upload these days start with the black screen, lol. NFL wants their copyright blah blah blah already making zillions in profits. Goodell makes the nfl big bucks, $$$
yes I literally said that thank you

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Justin Fields has been nothing short of phenomenal the past several weeks. He's an absolute game-changer who, while having ups and downs, will likely only get better. He's the true dynamic athlete Bears fans have so desperately pined for for so long.

That said, we are seeing a underwhelming output of actual passing yards. 123 yards last week. 167 yards yesterday. He hasn't broken 200 yards in 6 games (Oct. 9 @ Vikings - 208).

I do not believe this is reason for concern, for a few reasons:

1) The offense is scoring points and moving the ball. The way the Bears are moving the ball down the field, leaning heavily on Fields' legs while also mixing in his arm and their RB running game, is working. The offense looks fluid and fun to watch. They're getting first downs. They're scoring points.

2) You almost need to just combine Fields' rushing yards & passing yards to get the full picture of his impact. Rushing for 40 yards out of an 80-yard drive means 40 yards that you don't have to net out of the air. If they can't stop you on the ground, why wouldn't you run? And does it matter whether those 40 came on the ground or through the air, as long as you get them? In this way, the low passing yardage total is in **direct correlation** to Fields' high rushing yard totals. If he didn't rush for as many yards, at least many of those would be passing yards. So it's his total yardage that should be the outlook we pay most attention to. I'm not going to complain about 300+ yards per game combined passing and rushing.

3) Fields is not a finished product. He will continue to work and continue to get better. As he does, those passing yard totals will come up, and we'll laugh about the times we were worried about 150-yard passing games.

4) USE YOUR EYES - The biggest reason I'm not concerned about the lack of passing yard output is that you can tell by looking at Fields that he's not a running QB who can't throw, or who is *always* looking to take off. We've seen those dime throws. We've seen that once he starts scrambling, he keeps his eyes downfield. We've seen that if he sees an open receiver while scrambling, he'll toss it to them for a 15-20 yard gain rather than just run it for 8 yards. The ability and willingness to throw are still there.

The uniqueness of Justin Fields requires a unique viewpoint when watching him work. Embrace that differentness. Embrace that we're seeing Fields be Fields. We're seeing what he can do when he has the freedom to be dynamic in his own way. We'll see up-games and down-games, but ladies and gentlemen, he's only going to get better.

This is going to be fun to watch.
To add to this, I think that both Getsy and Fields himself are doing him a disservice at the end of games. There was over 2 minutes in the game and, suddenly, the scripted QBs runs are taken away. Moreover, Fields is trying to do everything as a pocket QB.

First, does it matter if Fields gets a 15-yard pass or a 15-yard run, especially when a Fields run usually ends up with him running out of bounds, saving their timeouts? He is still moving the chains. When he runs for an easy 10-yard gain towards the sideline, he also has the chance of turning it up and potentially ending up in the endzone.

Secondly, keeping the called QB runs will keep the defense on the defensive, instead of attacking the pocket completely.

Finally, Fields is trying to do everything as a pocket passer at the end. On the final play, he magically juked out of a sure sack from two defenders, putting them on the ground. What does he do? He sits there in his new pocket and lets the next defender attack him and finally sack him.

What should he have done?

He should have used his athletic talent, go on the attack, beat the defender to the edge and run for at least 8 yards, seeing that the defense has, at most, 8 defenders (two at his feet and one just beaten) with two offensive linemen waiting at the line of scrimmage right in front of him, waiting to blast any defenders in front of him.

What are the chances of 8 defenders, who knows where on the field they are, of keeping Fields from getting 8 yards with 10 potential blockers and 2 specific blockers right in front of him from getting 8 yards.

How about 20 yards?

How about 50 yards?

How about a TD?

Yes, some of the blockers are in no realistic position of blocking for Fields, but some of those 8 defenders are going to soon be behind Fields and, as a wise man once said...

RandomGuy

Liked Posts:
If you all don't see that Fields is a man among boys who does everything he can to try to win the games then you are hopeless.
Stats don't mean shit to him.
If what he's doing is the best option, in his mind, to move the chains and get a chance at a score then he will do it.
Lines all day long if I'm gm.
Protect Fields and get pressure on defense. Those are by far the two most important factors in the off-season in my opinion.
Focus on those two things and Fields will jump another level even with the receiving core he has now.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
People who want to find the negatives will find them. "Not enough air yards!" Well how bout now compared to 5 games ago? Massive difference from there to here in terms of passing efficiency and turnovers (at the very least), so imagine what could happen in another 5 games? Why not just wait and see and enjoy the ride?
I think they are experiencing too much discomfort with those wooden dildos up their hindquarters, thus the negativity.

As a sidenote, Halfwit's name change to Black Rainbow should have been an obvious clue as why he was so negative.

Rainbows need sunlight to exist.

A black rainbow is something that doesn't exist, thus no sunlight.

Where is a place where "the sun don't shine"? An anus.

Why is Black Rainbow so negative?

Halfwit's anus is packed with 20 wooden dildos, most of which have never been sanded smooth.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Let's examine the games you are referring to and see what actually happened.

Vikings game - 2 minutes to go down 29-22. Fields moves the ball to midfield and Smith-Marsette catches a ball for a first down but instead of going out of bounds, he lets a guy come from behind and take the ball away.

Commanders game - Last minute down 12-7, Fields moves the ball to goal line territory. 2 separate passes (one should have been PI) are not caught that were perfectly placed and the Bears lose.

Dolphins game - 2 minutes to go down 35-32. 3rd down he throws it to where Claypool can make a catch which would have been in FG range. Refs don't call the blatant PI. 4th down, he is flushed out and hits St. Brown right in the hands for a first down and he drops the ball.

Lions game - 2 minutes to go down 31-30. 2 sacks he really did not have a chance on. 2nd and 10 makes it 3rd and 15. After getting 7 back to make 4th down manageable, he is sacked again. And even on that sack, he broke out of 2 other sacks to give himself a chance.

Fields is not making bad mistakes in the final 2 minutes of games. And even if he were, this is something that many successful QBs have to overcome with experience. It's hard to win in this league and it takes time. And maybe next year, he can overcome other mistakes by his players in the final 2 minutes. But as of now, this is perfectly expected.

Without Fields, the Bears are getting absolutely blown the fuck out the last month. With him, they are exciting and they are in games.
Double thumbs up!

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I love how the kmet stans are #calledit dropping all over the place, like the thread by @bears51/40 iirc, but none of them credit the fact that kmet now has an elite passer throwing tds to him. Where were his tds before fields? Was he in the doghouse?

Not saying he sucks but he's one of those players that a qb makes better.

#facts
You have just said one of the two things that Bear fans having been hoping to answer in the affirmative forever and they finally can.

Does your QB (anyone of them since the 90s but Fields) make the other offensive players better?

No

Does Fields make the other offensive players better?

Yes

Do the Bears win because of your QB (not named Fields), not in spite of him?

No

Do the Bears win because of Fields, not in spite of him?

No, not yet. Let's change the question.

Do the Bears lose because of Fields, not in spite of him?

Yes, this one is more accurate because it should not be expected for such amazing performances to end up in 3 out of 4 losses.

If the Bears fix their line problems, Fields will get a resounding "yes" to the question of "winning because of" him in 2023 and beyond. As he improves as a passer, the answer will be more and more obvious.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Exactly, which is why the 4th quarter offense looks very bad.
Please find the rule in the NFL rulebook which says that an offense cannot run the QB in the final two minutes.

If Fields is getting 10-15 yards per run, how many Fields runs does it take to get into field goal range?

Can they run those number of plays while having more than 2 minutes, three (?) timeouts and Fields ability to run out of bounds, saving those precious timeouts?

Sorry, but the QB running game should have not been eliminated on Sunday. Doing that completely played into the Lions best hopes and the Bears lost because of that.

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The definition of progress. It's just going to take time for everything to evolve.
Look at that movement in the “pocket”. We’ll use “pocket” loosely, because it more closely resembled a pile of shit.