Let's Face It....

LongtimeCubfan

Liked Posts:
This is not the same team as 2016, not even close. While there is some individual talent on the current team, there is nobody on this team that has the fire in their belly like John Lackey, Jon Lester, David Ross, Miguel Montero or Ben Zobrist. Even if they didn't have the same natural abilities as some of the current players, they had a drive that was infectious and motivated others. No one on the current roster has this. Rizzo is a great cheerleader, but he is not a leader. He will not get into other player's faces when needed. Understandably so, Ross has changed his persona as he is not in the same role as he was in 2016 but his former personaility was critical in 2016. Contrares comes the closest but he has too many players on this team with an "Oh bummer, we'll give it another shot tomorrow" attitude. There is no sense of urgency or accountability on the current team. The blame should go to the front office as they are responsible for not only putting talent on the field but making sure that there are complimentary personalities present.

Bronek

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Georgia Bulldogs
I think you hit right on the head about Contreras. He stand out of this bunch as one who cares the most.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Yes, Contreras cares the most because he is the most demonstrative. Jesus people

CSF77

Liked Posts:
2016 was a team that struck before the league was ready.

LAD Hou and Bos all were in transition. Yankees were is sell mode.

So the league was ripe and the Cubs mowed them over.

The next year they were the #3 in the NL. and they got lucky getting over Was.

So I would look external vs internal. The Cubs did nothing to improve. The league passed them by.

2018 could have been great but Darvish got injured.

2019 Hamels got injured then Darvish took over the ace mantle post ASG. Hamels lost it after that injury.

So let's be frank here. Theo should have traded Happ and Schwarber early on. Then looked at contact hitters. But he was stuck into a box in a hitter type and built a team based off of it. 3-4 is fine.

Coulda shoulda woulda.

The better question is what to do?

I have said pillars to filter youth into.

I see one pillar in Hendricks. You build a staff around him.

1 pillar is Wilson Contreras. He helps that staff and is not dead weight as a hitter.

1 pillar is Nico Hoerner. He is the player type needed going forward.

1 pillar is Duffy. He brings a professional hitting approach that younger players can look to for advice.

That is how it should go forward. Baez I would slap with a QO. Rizzo should get another offer 3/60M to allow Hearn to develop. I would push him to 1B as he gets closer.

Contreras I would lock up. His comp:

Yadier Molina c
1 year/$9M (2021)

• 1 year/$9M (2021)
    • re-signed by St. Louis as a free agent 2/8/21
  • 3 years/$60M (2018-20)
    • signed extension with St. Louis 4/2/17
    • 18:$20M, 19:$20M, 20:$20M
    • at signing, highest average annual value for active catcher
  • 5 years/$75M (2013-17), plus 2018 mutual option
    • signed extension with St. Louis 3/1/12
    • $1M signing bonus (paid within 30 days of MLB approval of the deal)
    • 13:$14M, 14:$15M, 15:$15M, 16:$14M, 17:$14M, 18:$15M mutual option ($2M buyout)
    • award bonuses, including $50,000 for All-Star selection
    • full no-trade protection

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
You know the old adage says if all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. When teams clearly underperform, it is easy to say the players have no drive, there is no accountability, etc... In reality, I think it is far more complex than that. The Cubs are broken, even if they were hitting their starters are not a competitive group, the relievers have now shown their holes. The offense has been a problem for the last three years, so no mystery there. Is there a malaise on the Cubs, probably, but I don't think it is the cause of the problem, but a symptom...

CSF77

Liked Posts:
You know the old adage says if all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. When teams clearly underperform, it is easy to say the players have no drive, there is no accountability, etc... In reality, I think it is far more complex than that. The Cubs are broken, even if they were hitting their starters are not a competitive group, the relievers have now shown their holes. The offense has been a problem for the last three years, so no mystery there. Is there a malaise on the Cubs, probably, but I don't think it is the cause of the problem, but a symptom...

I disagree with the pen part. They have down graded it due to key injury.

I did not post a pillar to the pen because that guy will emerge through trial of fire. I would like him to be Maples but history has me a bit scared to go there. Leeper might be that guy. Time will tell.