Let's revisit Amos and Haha

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
Amos is a strong safety.

HaHa is a playmaking FS playing SS half the time.

It was always going to be a downgrade in tackling. Everyone also knew that it would more than likely help our pass coverage however.

Quan and Tre have been outstanding in the middle and rarely need extra help.

This was the right move and dix is starting to get a feel for the defense as well. He's picking up tendencies and for lack of a better word, deficiencies, of the defensive players and masking that with his skills. Whats great is. Our corners are great from the LOS up to 20 yards back. Like white on rice. Our safeties are excellent in the deep part of the field and minus one error in judgement with rogers has been top notch. Quan and Tre are locking down the shirt game and the corners arent giving up anything as far as YAC.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I like HaHa, but it's funny because if this comparison was made last year, the vast majority of you wouldn't even compare him to Amos. Quite frankly, I think the two are fairly interchangeable.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm driving back from upper Michigan. I will re-watch the Denver game tonight.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Didn't read the whole thread but I will say Amos and Haha seem like a wash to me. My bigger concern is with Amos, Jackson was free to roam the deep middle more. Now with Haha who is not particularly good in the box it seems they are splitting the box duties more and so Jackson isn't being used to his greatest effect.

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
Didn't read the whole thread but I will say Amos and Haha seem like a wash to me. My bigger concern is with Amos, Jackson was free to roam the deep middle more. Now with Haha who is not particularly good in the box it seems they are splitting the box duties more and so Jackson isn't being used to his greatest effect.
Even though I agree that Jackson probably isn't being used optimally I think it's ok cause Haha still has good ball skills, better than Amos does for sure.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I just like calling him Haha Clinton Penises.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Even though I agree that Jackson probably isn't being used optimally I think it's ok cause Haha still has good ball skills, better than Amos does for sure.

Sure but if I had to chose who to roam deep middle, I would pick Jackson over Haha every time. I just wonder if Jackson and Haha are not a bit too similar and so when they are down in the box, they are not really as effective as Amos would be in those situations. Still early so maybe they adjust to each other as season progresses.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I like HaHa, but it's funny because if this comparison was made last year, the vast majority of you wouldn't even compare him to Amos. Quite frankly, I think the two are fairly interchangeable.

no...what it shows is that you can't ask a playmaking safety to make 80 tackles like the Redskins and Packers did or they can't make plays. I am sure he is a tough guy but playing safety in the NFL on a bad defense chews you up(DT, MLB).

Asking HaHa to do less clearly produces more, but the same cannot be said of Amos who lacks playmaking ball skills, more of a smash and grab guy. Amos is a pure box safety who excels punishing people, but has the speed to run. Amos is probably more valuable to the Pack and HaHa more valuable to the Bears due to playmaking opportunities.

Teams are avoiding Jackson so you are going to see a drop in production, but the better HaHa can do the more it could tip that balance back a bit.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Teams are not avoiding Jackson. He was targeted 4 times thru 3 games last year and 10 times this year.

Jackson is playing more man coverage because again he is playing in the box more. So not a case of teams targeting him less. It is the case that he is having to turn and run more rather than having things in front of him when he was playing more off the WR as the roaming FS.

In many regards Jackson is like Fuller. He excels when playing off the WR, watching the QB and breaking on the route. Now he is being asked to play a bit closer to the WR when he is down in box. He can still cover well but that cuts down on his playmaking as he is not watching the QB's eyes as much.

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
Sure but if I had to chose who to roam deep middle, I would pick Jackson over Haha every time. I just wonder if Jackson and Haha are not a bit too similar and so when they are down in the box, they are not really as effective as Amos would be in those situations. Still early so maybe they adjust to each other as season progresses.
I think they have adjusted to each other well. Jackson has shown a willingness to make tackles and play the run, and I think his tackling has improved. Allows the D to stay stout against the run.

Also there are plays where both guys are deep, and that must be hell for opposing QBs, especially when there's pressure.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
packers-lions-football-55cda2f1fb2c4737.jpg
@nc0gnet0

Last edited:

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I'm driving back from upper Michigan. I will re-watch the Denver game tonight.
You have until midnight to update this thread with your loafs or even better, make a loafing thread.

redgrange19

Eater of Ham
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Amos has really helped the Pack's run defense. They're incredible.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I thought replacing Amos with HAHA was a weird move because he is most certainly not a SS. Rarely in the box or even in man coverage, almost strictly a deep middle safety. Now it makes more sense, as it was actually Eddie Jackson who replaced Amos.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I thought replacing Amos with HAHA was a weird move because he is most certainly not a SS. Rarely in the box or even in man coverage, almost strictly a deep middle safety. Now it makes more sense, as it was actually Eddie Jackson who replaced Amos.

Well I think they have split it a bit as neither is in the box as much as Amos was. Amos was in the box twice as much as Jackson (297 vs 149) last year while HaHa and Jackson are about even (54 vs 51).

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:

Last year, I would have taken Ha Ha everytime over Amos....

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Why do you think he was first team almost All pro?
You may have missed my point. Jared Allen was an All Pro for another team, not the Bears. His "almost sacks" for us got us nothing. But many here were like "welp, he was almost sacking the qb though!" As if that mattered.
There may have been a 30 yard play against the Bears but folks here though Jared Allen was great at "almost getting to the QB"-
If I missed your point I apologize.