List of NUMBER 1 selected QBs in the last 40 years. How many would you say are busts??

mbison

Liked Posts:
John Elway -83
Vinny Testaverde - 87
Troy Aikman - 89
Jeff George - 90
Drew Bledsoe - 93
Peyton Manning - 98
Tim Couch - 99
Michael Vick - 01
David Carr - 02
Eli Manning - 04
Alex Smith - 05
Jamarcus Russell - 07
Mathew Stafford - 09
Sam Bradford - 10
Cam Newton - 11
Andrew Luck - 12
Jameis Winston - 15
Jared Goff -16
Baker Mayfield - 18
Kyler Murray -19
Joe Burrow - 20
Trevor Lawrence -21

How many would you say are “busts? I listed 22 QBs and I would say 3 are absolute busts.

Couch
Winston
Russell

Thoughts?

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Hoge pointed out that the #1 overall pick has a much better chance at either a 4,000 yard season, 30 TDs or 80 games started.

like even going from #1 to #2 drops those chances significantly

4THQUARTERCLUTCHLER

Liked Posts:
The term bust is hard to debate, I'd say some were busts because of where they were taken and what was expected out of them. Some became decent game managers but never lived up to the hype, Alex Smith, Sam Bradford, Jamesis Winston, David Carr, Jeff George are good examples who never were really superstars not busts I guess but definitely not worthy of the number 1 pick either

4THQUARTERCLUTCHLER

Liked Posts:
John Elway -83
Vinny Testaverde - 87
Troy Aikman - 89
Jeff George - 90
Drew Bledsoe - 93
Peyton Manning - 98
Tim Couch - 99
Michael Vick - 01
David Carr - 02
Eli Manning - 04
Alex Smith - 05
Jamarcus Russell - 07
Mathew Stafford - 09
Sam Bradford - 10
Cam Newton - 11
Andrew Luck - 12
Jameis Winston - 15
Jared Goff -16
Baker Mayfield - 18
Kyler Murray -19
Joe Burrow - 20
Trevor Lawrence -21

How many would you say are “busts? I listed 22 QBs and I would say 3 are absolute busts.

Couch
Winston
Russell

Thoughts?
Those 3 were absolutely busts and why everyone is scared to use our pick on Caleb Williams

mbison

Liked Posts:
The term bust is hard to debate, I'd say some were busts because of where they were taken and what was expected out of them. Some became decent game managers but never lived up to the hype, Alex Smith, Sam Bradford, Jamesis Winston, David Carr, Jeff George are good examples who never were really superstars not busts I guess but definitely not worthy of the number 1 pick either

When I think “bust” I think someone who was out of the league in 3-4 years. A QB you can’t win with

Alex Smith, Jeff George, and Sam Bradford all had long NFL careers and won playoff games. I would not consider them a “bust”. I would consider them game managers you can win with if you build a team around them

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
When I think “bust” I think someone who was out of the league in 3-4 years. A QB you can’t win with

Alex Smith, Jeff George, and Sam Bradford all had long NFL careers and won playoff games. I would not consider them a “bust”. I would consider them game managers you can win with if you build a team around them

jeff george was most certainly a bust

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
bust vs not worth the value....

If you draft one you need a top QB considering we have a productive QB now...

In that regard the list of "not worth the value at 1" increases quite a bit....

I would not cut Fields to pick up a Testeverde, Carr, Newton, Bledsoe, Goff, Winston, Bradford and a few others....considering what I could get in trade...

Its not just about "bust" chance

mbison

Liked Posts:
bust vs not worth the value....

If you draft one you need a top QB considering we have a productive QB now...

In that regard the list of "not worth the value at 1" increases quite a bit....

I would not cut Fields to pick up a Testeverde, Carr, Newton, Bledsoe, Goff, Winston, Bradford and a few others....considering what I could get in trade...

Its not just about "bust" chance

You are smoking crack. Cam Newton was a league MVP and lead his team to the Superbowl.

Goff has throw for a consistent 4,000 yards per season and already took his team to a Super Bowl. Fields has never show the ability to be anything but a 22nd ranked QB that can run the ball. Fields wished he had Goffs career

I personally believe Fields is headed down the road of Marcus Mariotta.

1ke

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Bucks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
John Elway -83
Vinny Testaverde - 87
Troy Aikman - 89
Jeff George - 90
Drew Bledsoe - 93
Peyton Manning - 98
Tim Couch - 99
Michael Vick - 01
David Carr - 02
Eli Manning - 04
Alex Smith - 05
Jamarcus Russell - 07
Mathew Stafford - 09
Sam Bradford - 10
Cam Newton - 11
Andrew Luck - 12
Jameis Winston - 15
Jared Goff -16
Baker Mayfield - 18
Kyler Murray -19
Joe Burrow - 20
Trevor Lawrence -21

Couch
Winston
Russell

Thoughts?
Oh man. I feel like outright bust is in the eye of the person. For example.... Jeff George wasn't a bust. But he was kinda shit mostly and turned into a journeyman QB. I'll do this....

Elway - HoF
Vinny T - Journeyman, decent QB
Troy - Very good. But remember he developed slow, and had HoFs all around him.
Jeff George - Journeyman, he was just meh, although that dude could sling it.
Drew B - Just kinda meh, not s bust, but played a long time
Peyton - HoF
Couch - absolute bust, he was shit, but he was so fuckin good at Kentucky
Vick - My favorite player ever, but he was kinda meh as a whole. Had a good run with Philly at the end.
David Carr - Not a bust, just had his brains beat to shit. Also, kinda just average
Eli - Above average QB who's defense got him 2 rings
Alex Smith - Damn decent career. Probably slightly above average.
Jamarcus - Shit. He was overrated at LSU as well
Stafford - Average with Detroit and their shit show. Pretty good with the Rams
Bradford - The one responsible for the rookie scale. Bust, especially after Jason White at OU did the exact same shit he did in college.
Cam - Not a bust, but also other than one tremendous year, very average for me. Most unstoppable college QB I've seen
Luck - Great QB. Gone too soon
Jameis - Is he a bust?...he's put up some gaudy numbers. A turnover machine thou. Id say average to below
Jared - Very average in LA with a QB guru.... better in Detroit with a crazy man as coach. Weird
Baker - More average. Not a bust, but still surviving and this specific year thriving
Kyler - More meh. Nothing great, another OU QB tho FWIW
Joe - Great QB, but hurt too much. His LSU offense was the best CFB has ever seen.
Trevor - He was considered can't miss. But he's been underwhelming compared to the hype. Fantastic college QB though.

So there..... a whole lot of meh for me. And success coming to many on their second team. Drafting some 1.1 and having them carry you to the promise land happens very little.

Moses Moreno

Liked Posts:

Sam Bradford didn't even play in a playoff game, much less won any.

If you're drafted first overall as a QB, the expectation is that you'll elevate your franchise.

Since 2000 only Burrow, Luck, Newton and Stafford have done this. Maybe Vick too.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
You are smoking crack. Cam Newton was a league MVP and lead his team to the Superbowl.

Goff has throw for a consistent 4,000 yards per season and already took his team to a Super Bowl. Fields has never show the ability to be anything but a 22nd ranked QB that can run the ball. Fields wished he had Goffs career

I personally believe Fields is headed down the road of Marcus Mariotta.
We disagree

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Bust would need a definitive definition. The number 1 pick should lead you to a SB victory and multiple playoff wins imo

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

mbison

Liked Posts:

If you're drafted first overall as a QB, the expectation is that you'll elevate your franchise.

Since 2000 only Burrow, Luck, Newton and Stafford have done this. Maybe Vick too.

Cam didn’t elevate his team in Carolina when he won league MVP and took them to the superbowl?

Thats more than Vick, Stafford and Vick. Where is your logic in this?

1ke

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Bucks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Cam didn’t elevate his team in Carolina when he won league MVP and took them to the superbowl?

Thats more than Vick, Stafford and Vick. Where is your logic in this?
I think like many, it is because he never did it again. He was great that year. But Jalen hurts was good last year and the jury is still out on him. Nick Foles was really good the year he started in Philly and never did it again. Cam was consistently average. And don't get me wrong, you can win with an average QB sometimes.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

So about Burrow. His team was stacked his SB year imo and almost made the playoffs with him out this year

mbison

Liked Posts:
I think like many, it is because he never did it again. He was great that year. But Jalen hurts was good last year and the jury is still out on him. Nick Foles was really good the year he started in Philly and never did it again. Cam was consistently average. And don't get me wrong, you can win with an average QB sometimes.

Wasn’t Cam also Rookie of the year and broke many rookie records? He was having a great career for his first 3-4 years but injuries derailed his career. Cam I would say is far from average