Looks Like Johnny Red Kerr Failed To Make the HOF

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
"Why me?"

That has to be what all of them are thinking. David Robinson. John Stockton. Cynthia Cooper. Don Nelson.
The Basketball Hall of Fame's Class of 2009 will be announced Monday, and all the other candidates must be thinking: "Why do I have to share what should be the greatest day in my career with him?" None of them will ever say it out loud, but they'd be something other than human if they weren't feeling that way.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=jackson/090403

If that is indeed all that's making it from this class, then that's a shame. It would have been great for Jordan and Kerr to get in on the same day.

I don't think Kerr will ever get in the hall of fame.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
??? ?????? wrote:
"Why me?"

That has to be what all of them are thinking. David Robinson. John Stockton. Cynthia Cooper. Don Nelson.
The Basketball Hall of Fame's Class of 2009 will be announced Monday, and all the other candidates must be thinking: "Why do I have to share what should be the greatest day in my career with him?" None of them will ever say it out loud, but they'd be something other than human if they weren't feeling that way.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=jackson/090403

If that is indeed all that's making it from this class, then that's a shame. It would have been great for Jordan and Kerr to get in on the same day.

I don't think Kerr will ever get in the hall of fame.

It's hard to see Kerr getting in later if he didn't get in now. I mean he's at maximum sympathy right now, so if this wasn't enough then it's hard to see it ever being enough.

I don't know that Kerr belongs in the hall of fame, but how in fuck's sake does Cynthia Cooper belong. Why don't we start letting women's softball coaches in the baseball hall of fame.

The basketball hall of fame is the worst hall of fame in existence. It basically immortalizes college coaches. Does anyone give a crap? I guess there's some guy somewhere who may have went to a game just to see the coach coach, but given that 50% of the membership is college coaches that seems a bit severe. I'd think the players may attract more people to the games than the coaches.

I wish the NBA would make it's own HOF.

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
Cooper won 4 WNBA titles big deal :angry: .

Kerr has been a fixture in Chicago for over forty years but I guess that means nothing in the eyes of these voters.

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:
guh, blocked at work

copy/paste?

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Maybe the Blackhawks Were Just Better Than Us

Posted by Harrison Mooney I've said before that Vancouver fans and media often suffer unfortunate bouts of tunnel vision when it comes to the Canucks. A Canucks' win is followed by praise, and a Canucks' loss is followed by blame, but nothing is ever attributed to the opponent. How did they play? Who plays for them? Is anybody on their team talented? Apart from gushing over Sidney Crosby, Alex Ovechkin, or tonight, Steven Stamkos, we often assume the guys who play for other teams have about as much volition as the targets in Hogan's Alley.

Recall an instance earlier this season when Alain Vigneault stood up for his defensemen following a game-winning Kings goal: "It was a simple 2-on-2 and two of their good players beat our two good defencemen and that's going to happen." It's incredible to me Vigneault needed to remind people that the Kings have players who can score, even on guys who are supposed to stop them from scoring.

Guys like Roberto Luongo, who takes blame for any goal, regardless of the circumstances. Did you know that a large part of an NHL players' livelihood is scoring on superstar goalies? They can do that.

With this in mind, it's typical that Vancouver's two consecutive oustings at the hands of the Chicago Blackhawks have been painted as little more than collapses, disappointments, or failures on the part of the Canucks. It seems nobody's been willing to consider the opponent, or perhaps even utter the anathematic truth that, even at the Canucks best, the Blackhawks were just better.

<a href="http://communities.canada.com/theprovince/blogs/kurtenblog/archive/2010/11/19/we-call-him-gamblor-the-blackhawks-are-coming-to-town.aspx">The Kurtenblog pointed some of this out a month ago, but let's return to the argument. Consider the offseason turnover in Chicago: up against the cap, the Blackhawks were forced to jettison Dustin Byfuglien, Andrew Ladd, Kris Versteeg, Brent Sopel, Ben Eager, Adam Burish, and John Madden. Among others. Effectively, they lost their entire bottom-six and the brunt of their defensive depth.

How is the former Blackhawks' bottom-six doing for their new teams? Incredibly. Dustin Byfuglien and Andrew Ladd are one and two in Thrashers scoring. More impressive, Ladd has been named Atlanta's captain, and Byfuglien is doing that scoring from the back-end. Brent Sopel leads Atlanta in blocked shots by a wide margin (20 more than the next closest skater), and Ben Eager is tops in PIM and hits. In Toronto, Kris Versteeg is averaging just over 20 minutes a night. He's 5th in goals and points, 3rd in shots on goal, and 1st in takeaways. But the most incredible thing about lost members of the Blackhawks playoff roster is this: they're all still in the NHL, and only Colin Fraser averages less than 10 minutes a night (at 9:56).

Canucks fans celebrated the somewhat sad dismantling of one of the deepest NHL rosters we've seen in decades, while ignoring the fact that their team actually underwent a similar turnover. Our bottom-six is effectively gone too, as the Canucks willfully said goodbye to Kyle Wellwood, Pavol Demitra, Ryan Johnson, Shane O'Brien, Michael Grabner, Steve Bernier, and Matt Pettinger. Demitra, Johnson, Wellwood and Pettinger are no longer playing in the NHL, and Grabner nearly suffered a similar fate after the Florida Panthers, who acquired him in a trade, placed him on waivers at the end of training camp. Steve Bernier has been playing on the fourth line. And Shane O'Brien has the third-worst plus-minus on the Nashville Predators.

I'm cherry-picking stats a little to make my point, but still: one year removed from a playoff series Vancourites label as a Canucks collapse, former Chicago Blackhawks are making names for themselves in the NHL. Meanwhile, former Vancouver Canucks are adding umlauts to their jerseys in Europe.

Do you think this had something to do with the outcome last May? I know we might hate to admit it, but it's possible the Blackhawks were simply icing a better team. In fact, it's more than possible. It's likely. In fact, it's more than likely. It's just true. Yes, we had a Selke candidate; so did they. We had a gold-medal winner; they had three. We had an Art Ross and a Hart. They had a Norris, and a Calder, and a Conn Smythe. And, behind these guys, they had an NHL roster.

It's hard for Canuck fans to see past their own team. We know our guys; we know their shortcomings and their potential, and we expect them to step it up. But, more often than not, we're just fooling ourselves and hoping for an upset. The Chicago Blackhawks team was so good that their bottom-six could be the top-six on other teams. The proof is in the pudding. Vancouver's bottom-six, on the other hand, was so questionable that, six months later, they're the bottom six for teams in Europe. I know it's tough to admit, what with the grudges we hold, but the Blackhawks were an incredible team. The Canucks played them well, but when they lost, we shouldn't have blamed them.

We should have blamed the Blackhawks.

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:
I enjoyed that.

supraman

Liked Posts:
Great article. Well written well thought out. I wouldn't hate the Nucks if it wasn't for the fans and the complaining by the team. I never thought AV had it in him to just say "The other team did better" referring to the 2 on 2

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:

Exactly. THe fact that a Vancouver fan wrote that is signature worthy... realization is humbling. It's a beautiful thing.

roshinaya

fnord
Donator
Liked Posts:
That Nuck fan finally made it to stage 5, acceptance.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
TCD should print this out and hand it out all over town.

PassItToBulis

Liked Posts:
Don't get too high on yourselves, IHN. I still hate your damn team for beating us. I'm just willing to admit why it happened.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Don't get too high on yourselves, IHN. I still hate your damn team for beating us. I'm just willing to admit why it happened.

That puts you 3 steps ahead of the fans you wrote that for.

It is good to see that you are paying attention to the traffic to your website. Welcome, hope you come back.