Losers/Winners/Same of the offseason...

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
I see this being picked up in a thread, so I decided to make its own thread. List the 3 winners of the offseason, 3 losers of the offseason and what teams stayed the same and did not lose or win. With explanation if possible..

3 winners:
Red Sox: They finally got their 1B with lots of talent and an OF they like and who will help a lot.
White Sox: They no doubt won, got their DH (Dunn), put together a nice pen and resign their bigs (Konerko and AJ).
Brewers: They put together a solid roation to go along with a solid offense. They just need to lock up their 1B to make it even better (looking more and more like that won't happen).

3 losers:
Padres: They went from almost making the playoffs in 2010 to probably competing for last place in 2011. Lost all free agents and their all-star 1B.
Rays: Because of money conditions they had to cut but they lost way to much and them running with the AL East will come to an end. The departures of Crawford, Pena, Garza and their pen will hurt.
Angels: They lost on all their top targets...Beltre, Crawford, Werth, Soriano etc. Then they had to overpay for a good but expensive OF (Wells).

3 same:
Yankees: They have and will always have a good team because they spend but they didn't do much besides re-signing Jeter and getting their set-up man in Soriano.. It will be a good competition with the Red Sox and Yanks but I don't know if the Yanks did enough to win the division over the Sox.
Reds: I know they won the division in 2010 but it was not by much and all teams below them upgraded their team. So I think they will fall in 2011.
Texas: I know they lost Cliff Lee but I think they will be OK, just like in 2010. However, they did sign a big bat in Beltre. So maybe offense will win games over pitching.. Only time will tell..

Honorable mention:
Cubs: I know this may come off bias but I think JH did a good job on limited resources. He got his 1B and a lefty one, got a top-line pitcher and an end of the pen pitcher. Also I thought he got a good return for Gorzo.. I'm not trying to be bias..

Thoughts?

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
:homer:

No, JK

Nice job waldo.

I think there are some more teams ahead of the Cubs too though, Oakland, Toronto, etc.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
Oakland was a winner.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Oakland was a winner.

Maybe but not over the other three.. I also don't see much difference but I do like the Harden signing. Maybe he'll come back to normal but that's a long shot.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Maybe but not over the other three.. I also don't see much difference but I do like the Harden signing. Maybe he'll come back to normal but that's a long shot.

Beltre? or is he somewhere else?

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets

adding David Dejesus and Josh Willingham don't hurt either.

Northside_slugger

Liked Posts:
Oakland was a winner.

A winner? Yes.

But, i am guessing this thread was started to due my argument in the other thread about Hendry's off-season and there is NO WAY Billy Beane's winter was more successful then Jim Hendry's.

They added some nice bats and a very old Matsui. Also a nice RP and kept Harden (9 time on DL) and Brandon McCarthy (only 22 appearances since 2007). Not exactly the most reliable pitchers in the world.

And whom ever said Washington has a better winter then the Cubs in the other thread... pass the bong my way, please.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Other teams that could have been mentioned...

Nats: loser; hate the Werth signing A LOT.
Rockies: Winner; lock up Tulo and Cargo and keep their team intact.
Minn: Same; they did re-sign Pavano but their pitching is still weak and needed to be upgraded more.
Det: Winner; they got a good bat and a player then can catch and play 1B in Martinez. They also upgraded their pen a bit more.
Phills: Undecided; I think the Phills is one of the hardest ones to predict.. OK they got ANOTHER SP in Lee but other then than that they did nothing. Also they give out too big of contracts so that the affect their situation. Lee did settle on a way lower contract but the Phills spend too much on a position they don't really need. Also they lost a good RF in Werth. Will that hurt a lot? No because their O is already solid and pitching will be great. However, that left a hole open on the team.

This are just a few more teams that you can make an argument for. Also Oak if you want.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
adding David Dejesus and Josh Willingham don't hurt either.

It doesn't help a lot either. Will they be better? Yes, no doubt. I do like their SP and RP but the offense worries me. I still think Texas will win the division. the OAK and LAA will compete for 2nd place. Matsui is a good addition but not a spectacular signing.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
It doesn't help a lot either. Will they be better? Yes, no doubt. I do like their SP and RP but the offense worries me. I still think Texas will win the division. the OAK and LAA will compete for 2nd place. Matsui is a good addition but not a spectacular signing.

They'll get on base a lot. So A's hitters will have plenty of chances to drive in RBI's via hits, sacs, bunts, balks or they can just run/steal, etc. Just IMO.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
A winner? Yes.

But, i am guessing this thread was started to due my argument in the other thread about Hendry's off-season and there is NO WAY Billy Beane's winter was more successful then Jim Hendry's.

They added some nice bats and a very old Matsui. Also a nice RP and kept Harden (9 time on DL) and Brandon McCarthy (only 22 appearances since 2007). Not exactly the most reliable pitchers in the world.

And whom ever said Washington has a better winter then the Cubs in the other thread... pass the bong my way, please.

Who would say the Nats had a better offseason than the Cubs? If anything they had a bad one in my opinion. I think they overpay for Werth, gave up too much for Gorzo (even tho they have the right to do it because their farm system has a lot of average talent). But I do like the LaRoche signing. Maybe it could be same but I think 2011 will only tell us. Also depending on that trade speculation and how much they give up, that could change the their offseason to winner. Only time will tell...

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
They'll get on base a lot. So A's hitters will have plenty of chances to drive in RBI's via hits, sacs, bunts, balks or they can just run/steal, etc. Just IMO.

I see what you mean but the power really isn't there and that is never a really good sign. Can teams win with no power? Yes, for sure. But teams with power usually win more games. Like you said, they will have to win by playing small ball and talking bases when they have the chance.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
A winner? Yes.

What did the Cubs do? Marginally upgrade at SP, decent upgrade at 1B. Thats really it. Didn't address second base. Didn't really address the bullpen. Sure getting Wood is nice, but what about the rest? Other than Marshall, Marmol and Wood the bullpen is a complete mess. Grabow is probably our fourth best reliever.

I would take the A's offseason over the Cubs. They at least got something on the offensive side where they were lacking and improved their bullpen some more. They don't need a lot of offense with that pitching.

Personally I dont think the Cubs did much at all to improve this team.

CubbieBlue

Go Cubs Go!
Liked Posts:
I don't think the Nats are losers at all this offseason. There was nothing significant that happened other than Werth and LaRoche, which were decent signings. I think they go into the season about the same. All they really lost was Dunn and a good season by Werth and LaRoche more than makes up for that. I don't remember who else they lost though. They do need an upgrade in the pitching department though.

wadedog21

Bleedin' Cubbie Blue
Liked Posts:
I think JH did a nice job this offseason as well. He filled the holes that he needed to and stayed within the limits set by the owners. It all comes down to whether the players stay healthy and play up to their potential. There's no reason this team should not contend for the division.