Lovie Smith discusses the tenets of his philosophy regarding adjustments necessary when transitioning from Collegiate to Professional Football.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yes and no. Without Rivera, Lovie still had 2 top 5 defenses. Also, his defenses after Rivera always ranked high in takeaways. 8th, 2nd, 12th,3rd, 5th, and 1st. Lovie's schemed changed over time as well. I used to do a ton of videos back in the day. We started using much more Cover 3 especially when we draft Danieal Manning. Manning struggled, but had the tools to play the deep 3rd of the field. People thought Lovie was strictly a Cover 2 guy and that was not the case.

People would get pissed at Lovie at giving up big plays like the Super Bowl TD that Wayne scored. Everyone wanted to blame Lovie for staying in Cover 2 but honestly that wasn't a bad call. The Colts back up tight end ran down the seam and Manning took too many steps towards him. Meanwhile Reggie Wayne is running a go route. Tillman passes him off to Manning. But Manning isn't there. Wayne is wide open. You see Chris Harris running into the shot from the TV angle but he was never supposed to Cover Wayne. He recognized what was happening and tried to run across the field to stop it. Mike Brown's injury and never being able to find his replacement hurt Lovie's defenses probably more than anything.....and Babich was trash.
All true but the D backed into a what was almost a prevent when his DC generally preferred to pressure an O. I think that 1st missed assignment by Manning, who happened to be Lovies personal project, had a significant influence on what came after. Manning was almost sacked on that play and threw up a punt.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
As for the OP,
giphy.gif

BeerFan

Liked Posts:
Lovies success was due to a great defense that included Urlacher, Tillman, and plenty of supporting cast members like Briggs, etc. Also had Gould to kick long FGs and Hester to give them field position to make it easier to get into FG range. Their attitude back then, lets have projects on the o-line since anyone can play that position; Cutler can take a hit. e.g. sack, i think 9 times in the first half vs NYG. But by the time they realized they need an offense too, it was too little too late.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
If you're my age the Lovie Smith era of Bears football was by far the best you have experienced.