Lovie Smith

richb688

Liked Posts:
I was just curious what people thought about coach Lovie Smith now that some time has passed since he has left the Bears. I read on one post how some people thought he had been a good coach for the team. I have mix feelings about him. I thought after the first season he had a few good seasons but he also had some brutal seasons thrown in there as well. Some people will say it was the offense that hurt him, but he was the Head Coach so he was responsible for hiring a good offensive coach. I can't give him a pass on that. I dogive him credit for getting the Bears to the big game with Rex Grossman, in fact he should be granted Sainthood for that feat. I also thought he did not have the team ready for that game and did a poor job in the game and firing Rivera was not a good move. I also thought the last few years he could not beat the good teams, they had decoded his cover 2 defense and he was unwilling to change or adapt away from that defense. It was painful at times to see good teams roll over that defense at will. In conclusion I feel that he was above mediocre but below good falling into average. I am curious what other people will write. I thought it was the right thing to fire him after the 10-6 season but not to hire Trestman.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Lovie imo was a good coach who was anchored by bad QB play and bad drafting down the line. I dont think his defensive scheme would have continued to work as the game progressed but he was definitely one of the better bears coaches we have had

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Lovie imo was a good coach who was anchored by bad QB play and bad drafting down the line. I dont think his defensive scheme would have continued to work as the game progressed but he was definitely one of the better bears coaches we have had

This. But Lovie didn't do himself any favors though. The game passed him by just like it did for Fox.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Rivera wasn't fired; he left

bearsfootball516

Liked Posts:
He was a good coach who was extremely knowledgeable on defense and was extremely well respected by his players. However, as intelligent as he was with defense, he was equally inept on offense and had a real problem finding a good coordinator for that side of the ball.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Rivera wasn't fired; he left
It would have been sorta creepy if he kept hanging around after Lovie chose to let his contract expire without offering him a new one, instead elevating his bud Bob Babich to DC. I seem to remember that going...not so well.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
He left because Lovie chose to let his contract expire without offering him a new one, instead elevating his bud Bob Babich to DC. I seem to remember that going...not so well.

still wasn't fired hot shot. and I knew then that babitch would suck because he and lovie used to coach together at TU. fuck their MUG defense

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
still wasn't fired hot shot. and I knew then that babitch would suck because he and lovie used to coach together at TU. fuck their MUG defense
Calm down, big fella. I didn't say he was, just that he didn't leave by his own accord.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Calm down, big fella. I didn't say he was, just that he didn't leave by his own accord.

rumors were he was already looking in 2005. Of course there was tension between him and Lovie likely from the get-go, but I wouldn't necessarily say Rivera was dying to stay here

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

I didn't realize Urlacher chose Babich to be his presenter for the HOF.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
rumors were he was already looking in 2005. Of course there was tension between him and Lovie likely from the get-go, but I wouldn't necessarily say Rivera was dying to stay here
Lovie was threatened by anyone not in his 20 year old circle of trust.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He needs to get the Illini to start winning or he might be fired soon from there as well

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Lovie was good enough to win some games when he had a ridiculous amount of s PB talent on defense which is more than some could do, but his time in Tampa and UI sorta shows that he isn't really an elevator of men.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
He was fired. You're arguing semantics.

mecha

Liked Posts:
he wasn't very good at managing personnel. the "doghouse" pretty much kept the best players off the field. the Devin Hester experiment. the defense that was up and down, with the same exact players. "Rex is our quarterback". "I failed to have my team prepared". "we take the season in quarters". Mike Tice as OC. Mike Tice with the team at all. running Martz out. not holding Cutler accountable (see first point). promoting Babich to DC; subsequently failing (noted above). running the defense himself afterwards; subsequently failing. losing the entire defense with 1, singular, Brian Urlacher out. promoting Cedric Benson to starter after Jerry Angelo traded Thomas Jones to the Jets for a case of Gatorade. using John Tait, a natural right tackle, at left tackle, because the team was unable to find a proper left tackle. Rivera debacle (also noted above). the "bend, but don't break" defensive scheme that probably set records for yards allowed while still losing games. abandoning the running game and allowing Martz to blow his load with seven step drops that got Jay Cutler rocked/injured. see also: having J'Marcus Webb or Frank Omiyale starting at all. sourcing has-been castoffs from the former St. Louis Rams (see: Orlando Pace). playing not to lose rather than stepping on other teams throats when having the lead. having the team play like complete pussies in 2010 week 17 against the Packers with the opportunity to eliminate them from the playoffs and proceeding to have Caleb Hanie throw an interception to BJ Raji in the NFC championship game and otherwise letting the Green Bay Packers take advantage of their assholes while hoisting the Halas trophy on their own field.

but hey, they went 10-6 against teams with losing records in 2012, it was HUGE mistake letting him go after Mike Tice ruined the franchise quarterback because he's an equally inept twat on offense.

yeah seriously, outside 2005-2006, Lovie Smith did NOTHING. fuck him and good riddance.