Lovie Smith

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Rivera turned out to be the slightly better coach. Still at it.

Lovie was too much into cronyism and nepotism, at the expense of talent.

cd35

Liked Posts:
He was a bad coach who looks much better than he was bc he was bracketed by absolute incompetence. Just bc they were horrid before and after doesnt make him better.

He repeatedly did astoundingly stupid things. They lost the Superbowl bc of coaching incompetence and should have probably won. That defense was hindered by him as was the team. Was he absolutely terrible? Nope. But not good. And I'll never forgive him for having Urlacher out there so he could try and go 8-8 and say he didnt have a losing season and getting him hurt.

The other day I came across the Bears vs Washington Jay 4 pick game on youtube. So I decided to be a masochist and watch some of it. There is a point where Earl catches a pass and is stopped on the 1 yard line. From one angle it is obvious he's down. Lovie challenges it and loses, of course. The very next play Jay reaches across the goal line and then fumbles and its ruled a fumble. On the replay it's completely obvious he was across the goal line. Lovie doesn't challenge it bc.....stupid.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lovie is no coach Nagy, amirite

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
^ been said above for the most part.

Also

Watch a Nagy press conference. Then watch Lovie's. THAT's why he was eventually fired. Gotta be a little bit likable to your fanbase. Especially a rabid one like CHI.

oping00@gmail.com

Liked Posts:
Good Def Coach and a players coach who couldn't figure out a offense. He had like 5 OC's in his tenure plus he played favorites to other coaches.

Bearshomer

Liked Posts:
Rivera turned out to be the slightly better coach. Still at it.

Lovie was too much into cronyism and nepotism, at the expense of talent.

If Lovie had Newton from his second year onwards with otherwise the same team, they would have made the playoffs 7/8 seasons going forward.

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
Lovie is an NFL Calibur coach. I have no doubt the Bucs would be a much better team today with him at the helm. Having said that, I'm happy that my Alma mater has the best former Superbowl losing coach in the big ten roaming it's sidelines.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
If Lovie had Newton from his second year onwards with otherwise the same team, they would have made the playoffs 7/8 seasons going forward.

That is highly debatable, but I don't debate hypotheticals.

And I'm not slamming Lovie. His teams brought the most fun to Bears fans in a long, long time.

Bearshomer

Liked Posts:
^ been said above for the most part.

Also

Watch a Nagy press conference. Then watch Lovie's. THAT's why he was eventually fired. Gotta be a little bit likable to your fanbase. Especially a rabid one like CHI.

This. If Lovie had better press conferences, missing the playoffs 5/6 times would have been tolerated.

mecha

Liked Posts:
How can we forget the Lovie Smith Doghouse...keeping talent on the bench because he didn't like them.

I addressed that.

the Super Bowl in particular, they completely abandoned the run with an asshole at quarterback that demonstrated at least half the regular season and the NFC championship that he's not a proficient enough passer to do it all himself. aside from the gaffes on defense, the Rex Grossman show still remains the biggest blemish in that game.

though in his defense he played better than the NFC championship, I guess. he wasn't truly horrible, but still a bit green to do what they expected of him.

edit: and Cedric Benson's phantom injury + fumble to piss it even more away. F him too

cubby chubby

Liked Posts:
As mediocre as he was, Lovie was significantly better than the majority his fellow Bears coaches.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Lovie would have been great to pair with an offensive coach looking to the future. Instead, we had Turner/Tice/Martz/etc.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lovie would have been great to pair with an offensive coach looking to the future. Instead, we had Turner/Tice/Martz/etc.

tenor.gif

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Most posters hit the main points. I thought Lovie was an average/good coach, especially after living through Wanny & Jauron. But Lovie lost me in the final years when he neglected, then couldn't fix, the offensive line. Stuck with guys like J'Marcus Russell & Frank Omiyale. Are you f'ing kidding me?

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears