Mahomes versus Trubisky

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
For the idiot who keeps saying it....

One and done means making the playoffs and not winning a game. 1 game and done. 1 and done.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
and we could have had either one on the Bears ?fuk dis front office!!!!!

To this day... I can't believe we traded up for Mitch who accomplished nothing in college compared to Watson

KennyH

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Did you know Tom Brady only had 2 seasons where he made more than 20 million with the Patriots? He's also never had a cap hit of 30 million plus in his career.

That's something I never understood about the NFL. Why do players who are rich beyond the actual means of spending the money they have earned, try to negotiate ever increasing salaries that ultimately hamstring their own teams chances of winning the thing they are trying so desperately to win.

Brady's approach always made complete sense to me - he took less money to have better players around him so that he could achieve more in his sport. His lifestyle is clearly unchanged, but he will now be remembered as the greatest player in the history of his sport, in part, because he was able to surround himself with better players purchased within the available cap.

Without a cap, say in soccer, negotiating a high salary has a bit of an impact on your team, but in the NFL, the cap hit is so huge and clearly impacts how successful a team can be, that a star player reducing the hit on the team provides a massive advantage?

Is Brady fairly unique in doing this or have other top players done the same??

Last edited:

KennyH

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
To this day... I can't believe we traded up for Mitch who accomplished nothing in college compared to Watson

He's won the same number of games as Watson in the NFL, with fewer starts.....just saying :)

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
That's something I never understood about the NFL. Why do players who are rich beyond the actual means of spending the money they have earned, try to negotiate ever increasing salaries that ultimately hamstring their own teams chances of winning the thing they are trying so desperately to win.

Brady's approach always made complete sense to me - he took less money to have better players around him so that he could achieve more in his sport. His lifestyle is clearly unchanged, but he will now be remembered as the greatest player in the history of his sport, in part, because he was able to surround himself with better players purchased within the available cap.

Without a cap, say in soccer, negotiating a high salary has a bit of an impact on your team, but in the NFL, the cap hit is so huge and clearly impacts how successful a team can be, that a star player reducing the hint on the team provides a massive advantage?

Is Brady fairly unique in doing this or have other top players done the same??

Brady is married to a woman that makes more money than him. Large part of the answer. Budchen's net worth is 520 million or so. Even with his new deal, Mahomes is not close to that yet.

Brady could take league minimum and still have a higher net worth than every NFL player.

Brady is basically a trophy husband. Doesnt have to worry about money. Can just go out there and have fun.

Last edited:

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Todd Bowles needs to get some love.
Bowles has done great as their DC. I still wouldn't hire him as a HC again tho.

Ok....you wouldn't hire Bowles as a HC
2 Questions..... honestly,
are you gonna say that the guys hired below are more accomplished and qualified to be NFL HC's than Bowles? Would u honestly hire any of the guys below over Bowles ? I'm just trying to understand the thinking here.

Before you answer please look up everyone's NFL backgrounds. Bowles vs the list below. Thanks

• Robert Saleh, Jets. ...
  • Nick Sirianni, Eagles. ...
  • Urban Meyer, Jaguars. ...
  • Brandon Staley, Chargers. ...
  • Arthur Smith, Falcons. ...
  • David Culley, Texans. ...
  • Dan Campbell, Lions.

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
2 Questions..... honestly, are you gonna say that the guys hired below are more accomplished and qualified to be NFL HC's than Bowles? Would u honestly hire any of the guys below over Bowles ? I'm just trying to understand the thinking here.

Before you answer please look up everyone's NFL backgrounds. Bowles vs the list below. Thanks

• Dan Campbell, Lions.
Bowles was already the HC of the Jets and was absolutely horrible. Thats what I am basing my statement on here.

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It was the jets. I give Bowles a pass because they started trading away the defensive talent as soon as he got the defensive playing well together.

He actually managed to make Skrine look better than he actually is.

Bowles challenged the Chiefs to work their way down the field and they never accepted the challenge. It was a well defined game plan playing with safeties over the top with a few well timed blitzes sprinkled in.

Chiefs running backs averaged better than 7 ypc, but had only 9 carries. That's on KC.

Other than that the Bucs defense was dominant.

KennyH

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Brady is married to a woman that makes more money than him. Large part of the answer. Budchen's net worth is 520 million or so. Even with his new deal, Mahomes is not close to that yet.

Brady could take league minimum and still have a higher net worth than every NFL player.

Brady is basically a trophy husband. Doesnt have to worry about money. Can just go out there and have fun.

His wife's income is probably irrelevant, Brady won't spend the money he has made even on the reduced rate he took - so why don't other top players do the same. Is it simply that they use and value salary as status rather than achievements on the field, or is it simple they want to earn as much as possible in as short a time as possible, or are there other reasons?

I know a lot of Americans build their self worth around their jobs, taking minimal annual leave and/or vacation time, working really long hours and defining themselves by what they do at work rather than what they do outside of work, so it could simply be a cultural thing - but it is interesting that a super rich person could make a financial sacrifice that would probably help them reach their ultimate professional goal, but that this act seems rare (except in the case of the guy who is now comfortably seen as the best ever in that sport).

Not a criticism of individuals to the culture, just something I'm surprised doesn't happen more often in the pursuit of winning the top prize in the game

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Mahomes will get one or 2 more legit shots cause his cap hit will allow it to keep pieces around him. 2023+ his contract baloons to 40+ million plus so if he is the next goat jr, he will need to carry hard with lesser quality pieces around him.

Did you know Tom Brady only had 2 seasons where he made more than 20 million with the Patriots? He's also never had a cap hit of 30 million plus in his career.
2 Questions..... honestly, are you gonna say that the guys hired below are more accomplished and qualified to be NFL HC's than Bowles? Would u honestly hire any of the guys below over Bowles ? I'm just trying to understand the thinking here.

• Dan Campbell, Lions.
Bowles was already the HC of the Jets and was absolutely horrible. Thats what I am basing my statement on here.

Sure but he didn't have a Qb with the Jets. Plus....do u realize how many ppl. get repeated shots at HC jobs who've never had Bowles' qualifications ? But Bowles, in your opinion....... should never get another shot based on the Jets?:unsure:

Nail Polish

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Damn..Even Trubisky can score in garbage time

Mahomes couldnt

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
His wife's income is probably irrelevant, Brady won't spend the money he has made even on the reduced rate he took - so why don't other top players do the same. Is it simply that they use and value salary as status rather than achievements on the field, or is it simple they want to earn as much as possible in as short a time as possible, or are there other reasons?

I know a lot of Americans build their self worth around their jobs, taking minimal annual leave and/or vacation time, working really long hours and defining themselves by what they do at work rather than what they do outside of work, so it could simply be a cultural thing - but it is interesting that a super rich person could make a financial sacrifice that would probably help them reach their ultimate professional goal, but that this act seems rare (except in the case of the guy who is now comfortably seen as the best ever in that sport).

Not a criticism of individuals to the culture, just something I'm surprised doesn't happen more often in the pursuit of winning the top prize in the game

My thought is players should make as much money as they can. Look at how much owners make. Maybe owners should pry their pockets if they truly want "pursuit of winning the top prize in the game"

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sure but he didn't have a Qb with the Jets. Plus....do u realize how many ppl. get repeated shots at HC jobs who've never had Bowles' qualifications ? But Bowles, in your opinion....... should never get another shot based on the Jets?:unsure:
Did I say the others should get or should have gotten second shots? Nope.

Adam Gase for one example shouldn't have gotten a second shot.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

How did you surmise it is probably irrelevant? That is simply your speculation to suit your narrative which you are free to by the way. Just as I am free to speculate having hundreds of millions already in the bank does in fact matter.

The interesting thing about his contract history is you see a decent jump in APY in his 2010 deal of 18 million but then 3 years later he renegotiates a deal for just 11 APY in 2013. Funny thing is he was newly married to Giselle in 2009 and 4 years later in 2013, he suddenly decides he can take a massive pay cut. Almost as if having a wife worthy hundreds of millions may in fact have factored into his decision. We of course will never know but it is curious indeed.

Last edited:

KennyH

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
My thought is players should make as much money as they can. Look at how much owners make. Maybe owners should pry their pockets if they truly want "pursuit of winning the top prize in the game"

That's true in all sports where there isn't a salary cap - in the NFL the cap has a significant say in the personnel you can have on your roster. So, to a great extent, the owners are tied by how much they can open there pockets by the cap number.

Was just interested in why a group of super wealthy players haven't colluded to end up on the same roster by taking a pay cut - which to some extent I guess Brady did previously?

KennyH

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
How did you surmise it is probably irrelevant? That is simply your speculation to suit your narrative which you are free to by the way. Just as I am free to speculate having hundreds of millions already in the bank does in fact matter.

I surmised it, as I said, by saying it's unlikely he could spend the money he was making before even taking account of his wife's income - though I could be and probably am wildly out, maybe the TB12 diet is super expensive or he has other shit he likes to buy. I don't know, as I'm just surmising on a fan message board and have zero insight into his need for cash.

The point was more on have other players done the same - with or without a rich wife - to help them, and their team, get to a Super Bowl? Culturally it probably doesn't fit so well when income is such a metric for success in the States, and particularly in professional sports.

Pro sports salaries, for example, in soccer, are rarely disclosed (though transfer fees between clubs are). But as I said, it was more about the impact of the cap and how that defined a teams success and wether that could ever be manipulated

Last edited: