Manager Updates

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

Flacco4Prez

Liked Posts:
You know Ive been pretty vocal about which managers I want, but after seeing the Dodgers clinch. I just want the Gods to smile upon us and grant us the freaking dude that is going to bring us to the promise land. One time, man! One time!

I was talking to a friend when the Rays hit the walkoff and I started freaking out and he was laughing. Then I thought, holy shit if I did that for the Rays I would probably still be cheering if the Cubs hit a walk off like that. The time is coming! That sucks about tomorrow because I have class liteerally all day or I would just sit in my apartment and refresh every five minutes on BleacherNation waiting for the Girardi news to come in. Hell I'll still do it anyways.

Girardi is far and away my #1 choice, followed by Maddux then a big drop off before anyone else.

Derkach77

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I can live with maddux as plan B. Still bankin on Joe. That would be so great.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
have to think after girardi, Acta is probably first choice.. im hoping girardi decides soon though, because last thing the cubs need is for the nationals and or reds to swoop in and go after Acta and or maddux..

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'm expecting Acta. Acta is not in a position to make demands as he is looking to re-establish himself as a big league manager.

The Cubs are still on time lines but needs an established manager to run the shop.

It is a match regardless how anyone wants to spin it. Both parties fill the others needs.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm expecting Acta. Acta is not in a position to make demands as he is looking to re-establish himself as a big league manager.

The Cubs are still on time lines but needs an established manager to run the shop.

It is a match regardless how anyone wants to spin it. Both parties fill the others needs.

I agree that it is match in a lot of ways. Acta has always been a "cyber" (couldn't resist using that term from our former manager) friendly manager. I am not that concerned about his won and loss record since he basically handled teams in a similar state as the Cubs the past two years. I want to say that there were reports about players getting fed up with Acta at the end of his run. That would concern me.

Update-Doing some googling and I am finding none of those whispers that I recalled. I must be thinking of someone else.

Last edited:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
To quote the great Mike Singletary, I want winners.

The list of managers that had losing records in their first stint is a pretty lengthy one. While Acta might be a poor manager after all. The fact that he led two teams without a ton of talent doesn't really tell us much, imo.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
have to think after girardi, Acta is probably first choice.. im hoping girardi decides soon though, because last thing the cubs need is for the nationals and or reds to swoop in and go after Acta and or maddux..

Nationals already canned Acta once. I doubt they'll "swoop in" and hire him.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Maddux or joe g. Muddux both if them could take some of our pitchers to the next level

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
As of this morning, the Chicago Cubs and New York Yankees have not heard any decision from Joe Girardi. A decision should may be near and we could here news at any time now. The Yankees would like a decision by Girardi sooner than later. Since the Yankees need to most onto other off-season tasks.

The Cubs are waiting on Girardi, but have started working on their backup plans. The Cubs interviewed Manny Acta for their managerial opening and according to sources, the interview went very well. The ex Washington National is 372-518. The stats don't show a good track record, but one executive told David Kaplan; "I really like Manny Acta. Cannot figure out why his teams have failed so miserably. He is well liked in game."

Kaplan also states the Cubs have met with current San Diego Padres assistant general manager A.J. Hinch. Hinch managed the Arizona Diamondbacks for 2 seasons and compiled a record of 89-123. The same executive told Kaplan; "the Cubs would be crazy to hire A.J. Hinch. Executives in the game said he was awful. No way you hire him [Hinch]."

Another name to keep an eye on is Padres bench coach Rick Renteria. The only downfall by Renteria is he has no experience managing in the majors. But the Cubs do like him and may set up an interview for him.

Texas Rangers pitching coach Mike Maddux is interested in the Cubs job. He was the leader 2 years ago when the Cubs fired Mike Quade, but withdrew his name on the final stage and the Cubs hired Dale Sveum. Maddux said he's more interested in the Cubs managerial this time around. However, the interest may not be mutual. The Cubs don't seem too interested in Maddux this time around.

Another guy the Cubs have liked in the past is Cleveland Indians bench coach Sandy Alomor Jr. But David Kaplan has heard Alomor is not a strong candidate at this time. “From what I've heard, Alomar is not getting that job," the source said. "He is a good baseball man but he is not in the top group that the Cubs are looking at.”

If Girardi does indeed stay in New York, the Cubs have a list of potential candidates. A scout told Kaplan; “The Cubs have a fairly long list of potential candidates and they have to handle it that way if the Girardi thing doesn't happen.”

We should know fairly soon which way the Cubs will go for their next manager ... if it's Girardi or another guy.

http://www.chicitysports.com/2013/10/09/chicago-cubs-managerial-update/

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
Am I the only one growing weary of the Girardi waiting game?. The man is holding 2 teams hostage so it seems.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Am I the only one growing weary of the Girardi waiting game?. The man is holding 2 teams hostage so it seems.
I think the longer he takes to make his decision the more likelyhood he leaning towards the cubs. . my guess is if he wanted to stay in newyork he would've accepted their offer by now..

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
Bad news for Theo Epstein, Cubs. RT @MazzESPN Joe Girardi gets a four-year contract extension with the #Yankees through 2017, team announces

This team really is cursed.. Let's hope they hire the guy who has well below .500 win loss record.. THERE YA GO. fuck girardi asshole

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I again believe it will be Acta.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
If they go with Acta it is only because he is Latin.