Manager Updates

CSF77

Liked Posts:
If they go with Acta it is only because he is Latin.

Doubt that. It would have more to do with he has prior manager experience. And in the same situation.

The Latin would be added bonus but yes being able to speak to your players and catcher in their native tongue is a perk.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The management has not even talked to Maddux this time around. After he pulled out and left Dale as the guy last time. Not sure but I'm getting the feel that Theo has this spurn me one time is the last time thing going on. Note that they have not talked to Sandy either who was in the last round.

I believe they are looking for fresh options vs what they have already evaluated before.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
The management has not even talked to Maddux this time around. After he pulled out and left Dale as the guy last time. Not sure but I'm getting the feel that Theo has this spurn me one time is the last time thing going on. Note that they have not talked to Sandy either who was in the last round.

I believe they are looking for fresh options vs what they have already evaluated before.

Agreed, I've been very disappointed that Mike Maddux isn't even a contender right now. We will see what the process yields, but whoever is picked isn't going to be the difference between winning and losing next year.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
No Girardi. :enough:

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Because that would fix all the other problems right? The first choice isn't always best

Well until Theo Box Office decides its time to build a winner, then yes, the manager is irrelevant.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
updated the op :(

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
The long awaited Joe Giardi decision came down yesterday and it did not go the Chicago Cubs way. Girardi re-signed with the New York Yankees for 4-years at 16 million. Girardi said there was really no chance of him leaving. He also said the Cubs will always be in his heart, but the Yankees are in his heart now too.

Now with Girardi out of the picture, where do the Cubs turn now?

The Cubs are expected to meet with San Diego Padres Rick Renteria in Arizona next week. Theo Epstein, Jed Hoyer and Randy Bush will be at the interview. Renteria has a job with the Padres if he does not get a managerial job. The Padres announced recently that all the coaches on Bud Black's coaching staff will return.

Gordon Wittenmyer reports the Cubs are expected to ask for permission to interview Tampa Bay Rays bench coach Dave Martinez. We do not know if the Cubs have been granted to interview Martinez yet. The Rays announced yesterday that every coach on Joe Maddon's coaching staff will be retained.

The Cubs met with A.J. Hinch not too long ago about the managerial opening and the Cubs met with Manny Acta for 7 hours a couple days ago. Acta's interview went well and there was no work on how Hinch's interview went.

Ozzie Guillen as Cubs manager? That's not happening, but if asked, Guillen would take the job. Guillen said; “All my kids ask me that: Would you ever manage the Cubs if they asked? Hey, this is my business. This is my job. Of course I will."

Guillen goes on to say, "can you picture me winning with the Cubs?"

Guillen won't be the next Cubs manager, but there is interest from his side.

From the looks of it, Acta is the leading candidate to become the next Cubs manager. But the Cubs do like Renteria a lot and depending on how the interview next week goes, he could jump Acta easily.

The Cubs want a new manager by November 11th when the general manager meetings kick off.

http://www.chicitysports.com/2013/1...turn-now-with-joe-girardi-out-of-the-picture/

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
Running Ozzie out of town again is an entertaining thought.:lol:

Back to reality now with a serious question:

If Dale was inhibiting the growth of young players/prospects, why did it take an entire season(including ST)to make a change?. According to the media(gulp), this was the reason for him being discharged.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Running Ozzie out of town again is an entertaining thought.:lol:

Back to reality now with a serious question:

If Dale was inhibiting the growth of young players/prospects, why did it take an entire season(including ST)to make a change?. According to the media(gulp), this was the reason for him being discharged.

From what I've seen, it all came down at the 2nd half. The 1st half was okay, but the 2nd half was horrible. And the Cubs may have wanted Sveum to use bigger stats and he couldn't.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
From what I've seen, it all came down at the 2nd half. The 1st half was okay, but the 2nd half was horrible. And the Cubs may have wanted Sveum to use bigger stats and he couldn't.

Gee, the team got worse because Theo Box Office traded the best bat for a weak arm in the Yankee system and their best pitcher for players with medical red flags.

Not sure how that's Dale's fault.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
If they get a non-descript, no name manager who has already been canned from one MLB job, they will have failed, imho. You don't fire Quade to get to Sveum to get to the same.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Gee, the team got worse because Theo Box Office traded the best bat for a weak arm in the Yankee system and their best pitcher for players with medical red flags.

And Castro regressed every year Dale was here yet he made his bones as a hitting coach. Trading away players didn't help but there were a bunch of arguments and the whole gregg situation which was clearly an embarrassment. I would say he didn't do anything to keep the job either as the cubs were well out of playoff contention before anyone was traded both years. Also, let's call him what he was. He was a fresh body until the prospects were ready. You could have thrown anyone out there.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
i dont care who gets job besides 1 person. I do NOT want to see Acta. He almost 200 under in MLB Career. Clearly he not next phase manager. He a rebuilding manager that gets canned for next guy. Cubs already had that guy.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
i dont care who gets job besides 1 person. I do NOT want to see Acta. He almost 200 under in MLB Career. Clearly he not next phase manager. He a rebuilding manager that gets canned for next guy. Cubs already had that guy.

Renteria is the leader, per Olney.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:

Nothing to do with players. He and the FO had a difference stance on subjects and that may Sveum the odd man out.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Also, Edwin Jackson is a calm guy and has been all his years in the MLB and Sveum got into a confrontation with him. That also did not help and did not look good upon Sveum.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I've not said much about the manager choices because while I have an opinion it's not really informed. But honestly I think the Maddux brothers would make a lot of sense. For one, they very well could be good. But, even if they aren't, the story would be good enough to buy the front office some time. Plus, for all of the reason Giaradi would draw fans you could make the same argument that Maddux would as a former cub. He would in theory move the needle a bit in terms of attendance. The rest of the guys we're talking about? I don't see it unless they start winning a lot.

That being said, I'm not all that convinced that it would work out that well because it seems like a too good to be true type story and those never seem to work out that well.