Marginal Players Cubs Fans fell in Love With

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
For the record, at least according to BRef, nobody wasted their MVP vote on Patterson.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
For the record, at least according to BRef, nobody wasted their MVP vote on Patterson.

Well, he only played for half the season so that's not shocking but even still. Assuming his production stayed exactly the same...how is he "in the discussion" with those top 5 guys..or even in the top 10?

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, he only played for half the season so that's not shocking but even still. Assuming his production stayed exactly the same...how is he "in the discussion" with those top 5 guys..or even in the top 10?

He shouldn't be, but we're talking about an electorate that gave MVP votes to Michael Young just a couple seasons ago because of "intangibles". I'm not saying it's logical.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He shouldn't be, but we're talking about an electorate that gave MVP votes to Michael Young just a couple seasons ago because of "intangibles". I'm not saying it's logical.

Agreed. But I guess I'd say that being "in the discussion" is a bit different than finishing 8th in the MVP race with 1st place vote.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm going to drop old shool on you guys and go with Dave Kingman... The guy couldn't field, I remember one fly ball hitting him in the head (alteast I think it was him, its um.. early), more strikes out than you could shake a stick at, but boy could he jack a hr.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think many in this thread don't know what the word marginal means. Definition is: barely within a lower standard or limit of quality. Yet two all-stars are listed in this thread. Sure you can make an argument that Cubs fan overrated these players as being the best player on bad teams, but there is no argument to suggest they fit the definintion of marginal.

Examples of marginal players would include Augie Ojeda, Miguel Cairo, and Tony Campana. I am going to add another name in Julio Zuleta that was a fan favorite despite never being anything more than a marginal player. I was also a big fan of Angel Echevarria and who would definitely fit into that category as well.

Reactions: X

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
Mark Grace was far from "marginal" :lol: He wasn't a Hall of Famer but he certainly was a solid and useful player for many years.

:troll:

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
I totes fell in love with Augie even though I knew he sucked

Sent from MR Phone